• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia A, South Africa A and India A in India 2015

Marius

International Debutant
I agree Marius. Been shocking but the new demands on our domestic game and SA u19s even can't be too good for the future. I've never seen an SA 'A' side so abysmal in terms of results in limited overs cricket if you take this series & England 'A' series. Plus our SA u19 side has been thrashed in its last 3 series which is unheard of !

From this series we take that de Kock will be back for SA very soon & it will be the India tour. He needs a good knock or 2 in the 4-day games now. Tsotsobe is the best 1-day bowler of a limited bunch and is a non-athletic 30+ bowler. No real future there. Zondo is ok nothing more. I expected more from Reeza Hendricks, he scored 76 today but he really didn't going but I do believe he has ability.

de Bruyn will learn from this. I suppose being ripped to shreds here is good in a way. Hopefully guys like Savage, Phehlukwayo, Dupavillon have good starts to the season and the younger generation is backed in bowling/all-rounder department for future 'A' series.

Now for the 4-day series. Need to see Piedt find some form now.
On paper the A-side is a decent outfit, so not too sure what's going on.

Good our guys are catching a wake-up though.

cnerd123

likes this
Man you gotta feel bad for Aus A. They boss the whole tournament but end up losing to a meh India A side in the final.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Unmukt objects to being called meh. He was playing some really ***y shots and was getting ready to go full show pony in the final today, until he got a bit too arrogant and tried to clear cover.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Gurkeerat was a surprise success. He's had better figures in limited-overs cricket than the more prolific Mandeep Singh, from the same State team (Punjab), but never really been one to step up and lead the batting.

Sandeep will need to work harder on his bowling on unhelpful pitches like this one. Not everything is a greentop. He can, at best, be a limited-overs bowler, so that Test bowlers get a break.

Pandey has kept good form in limited-overs cricket going. That's a good sign, and they definitely have an India reserve here. Agarwal, though, has two seasons left, and he needs to play more before he's near national selection, even as a limited-overs opener.

Ultimately, this is a welcome change from those India A teams in the early 2000s, full of reserves not quite in the national side, who played only for their places in the national side and not the match results.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Eww spitting grubby little people. That's not warranted in any circumstance.
The collapse hurt the Aussie A lads but there were some good performances in there as well, well done from India though.

Burner

International Regular
Disgraceful, that. I also find it extremely dire how Coulter Nile kept on chirping after every ball he bowled against the Indian openers. Unmukt Chand kept ignoring him though, which was nice.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Great to see Dane Piedt in the wickets,had doubts about whether he could get back to his best after that shoulder op of his.Should be in the squad for India

Marius

International Debutant
How strong is this India A side?

The SA A side is fairly strong I'd say, and is definitely not far off from being an actual SA Second XI. Seven of the XI have played Tests as well.

Marius

International Debutant
Great to see Dane Piedt in the wickets,had doubts about whether he could get back to his best after that shoulder op of his.Should be in the squad for India
Yeah, definitely - he and Harmer must be the two spinners in the Test squad.

Don't think SA will play two spinners in the Tests though. Duminy's bowling has really come on, and Elgar can also give you a bit of slow left arm if you need it.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How strong is this India A side?

The SA A side is fairly strong I'd say, and is definitely not far off from being an actual SA Second XI. Seven of the XI have played Tests as well.
Quite strong, though a few questionable selections do pop up- JJ hasn't been among the runs in the last two seasons, Axar doesn't take many wickets in 4-day matches, while Vijay Shankar is a howler of a selection- but it's still surprising to see Pandey and Jay Yadav have such a poor game. They still are weak on flat decks- opposition batting posts a massive score against them, which crushes them when they come out to bat. This XI has only three strike bowlers, of which one (Jay) has been prolific largely in the last season.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
And then they went to go score at 3 rpo. Can we please not play players in the A team that are only playing for themselves?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
They declared. India A at 7/1. Weak link JJ is out cheap again.

One look at the number of FC games played by most SA-A players points to something, which may be a factor here- nine out of eleven players have played at least 50 FCs, including five over 70. This is more or less a reserve SA XI. In comparison, only three in this India-A team have played over 50 matches. Lead spinner Dane Piedt has played more FCs than Axar and Jay put together. With the main team coming to tour, this could be a warm-up for the current SA-A side.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And then they went to go score at 3 rpo. Can we please not play players in the A team that are only playing for themselves?
I don't know about this. The actual results of this games don't mean anything; they're all really about individuals standing out.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't enforce the follow on is similar -- the selectors still haven't really made up their mind as to who should open with Elgar in the Test team, so having the two top candidates get some opportunities against good opposition in overseas conditions probably seemed like a much more important thing than maximising the chances of winning a A game.

Last edited: