• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next World Cup

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know its a very long way off, but it is the goal in ODIs for teams right now. So I would like what your opinions are on teh 15 man squads for each team. Any surprises? People we havent seen yet (eg. Kevin Pieterson, Cameron White, Dwayne Bravo, etc), and if so, who will drop out for them?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
furious_ged said:
Mate, Cameron White is getting better but he has a LONG way to go.
I wasnt suggesting he should go, but I was giving examples of surprise selection, and players who had not yet played international cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
I think it should be the poirity of all countries to look towards WI in 2007.

All countries more or less have looked towards 2007 except Australia.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
My uncle used to live in the Carribean and his opinion was that West Indies couldn't host the world cup on their own as the facilities in the Windies were not very good,
Does anyone think perhaps that the US and Canada could become involved?

Craig

World Traveller
What island did he live Alid (sorry if I got your name wrong)?

BTW it is Caribbean.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
What island did he live Alid (sorry if I got your name wrong)?

BTW it is Caribbean.
Im not entirely sure but he saw a lot of Windies matches (the name's Adil)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Completely pointless to speculate on something 3 years down the line.
IMO there's no point selecting players you can say all but certainly that they won't be around in 2007.
However, I'm not sure who amongst the Australians Craig reckons won't be playing then? Just because you haven't had a wholesale clear-out after each World Cup (or big Test-series) most certainly isn't a bad thing IMO.
Mark Nicholas and Alec Stewart said that countless times last summer. Alec kept saying "there's always a call for a massive clear-out after every Ashes\World Cup"; Mark responds "but that's just the thing - there's never been one". Alec must have been thinking (I know I was) "well thank God for that". Alec's point appeared to be that this call is a very, very bad idea and the resistance to it is good.
South Africa did the best thing IMO - Donald, Kirsten and Rhodes retired through their own option (Caddick, Knight, Stewart and Hussain did for England) and the rest of the players (Smith, Gibbs, Kallis, McKenzie, Dippenaar, Boucher, Pollock, Ntini) were all going to be there in 2007 in all likelihood anyway. So they kept them and brought in someone with a fantastic domestic record (Rudolph) to replace Kirsten and Rhodes, and he was an immidiate success. Now Nel re-emerges and Klusener comes back from his IMO wrongful axing. It's coming together again; the worrying thing is, with a side as good as this, they've lost to mediocre teams like England (3 out of 4 :O ), West Indies (1 out of 4) and Pakistan (2 out of 5).
Still, all is not right within the South African one-day camp.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
Mark Nicholas and Alec Stewart said that countless times last summer. Alec kept saying "there's always a call for a massive clear-out after every Ashes\World Cup"; Mark responds "but that's just the thing - there's never been one". Alec must have been thinking (I know I was) "well thank God for that". Alec's point appeared to be that this call is a very, very bad idea and the resistance to it is good.
And results show this to be a good thing as England's impressive record in recent ashes series and world cups illustrate. To blindly chuck in untested youngsters would jepordise our unbroken run of success.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I get tired of coaches administrators banging on and on about how "we're preparing for the world cup", even if the last one has only just ended! :!(

I'd rather NZ rampaged through the ensuing 4 years, steamrolling all in their path, rather than lose them all and win one poxy tournament, even if it is the WC. (I realise this "rampaging" business is purely hypothetical :lol: )

A World Cup victory would be nice, but not at the expense of a potential four years of winning, after all, it only lasts a month and a half...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the Aussie team i think will be much the same, alot ofthe players will retire after that. McGrath may retire from the ODI side of things. Martyn might also get dropped. the reserve keeper coule be interesting

i reakon...

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting (c)
Clarke
Bevan
Symonds
Haddin (maybe Pilon or Ronchi depending on how they go netween now and than)
Harvey
Lee
Gillespie
Bracken
Warne
Tait
Watson

Craig

World Traveller
Gilchrist will probably be 36 or 37 then and Warne has retired from ODIs.

I doubt he would still be playing by then. He could, but I will wait and see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
And results show this to be a good thing as England's impressive record in recent ashes series and world cups illustrate. To blindly chuck in untested youngsters would jepordise our unbroken run of success.
Yet again, the sarcasm doesn't get you anywhere.
Just like the strategem you champion doesn't get Pakistan or Sri Lanka anywhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hard Harry said:
I get tired of coaches administrators banging on and on about how "we're preparing for the world cup", even if the last one has only just ended! :!(

I'd rather NZ rampaged through the ensuing 4 years, steamrolling all in their path, rather than lose them all and win one poxy tournament, even if it is the WC. (I realise this "rampaging" business is purely hypothetical :lol: )

A World Cup victory would be nice, but not at the expense of a potential four years of winning, after all, it only lasts a month and a half...
You see, I'd much rather win a World Cup than 16 other ODI series and tournaments...
Guess it's a matter of attitudes and values again.:)

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Fair enough...

Still, I suspect that the "building for the World Cup" line is usually a lame excuse for being crap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
SA MUST win this coming world cup

Whats that, fourth time lucky??

Anyway my squad...

1.GC Smith
2.HH Gibbs
3.JP Duminy
4.JC Rudolph
5.JH Kallis
6.VB Van Jaarsveld
7.T Tsolekile
8.HH Dippenaar
9.E Nkwe
10.D Van Wyk
11.Q Friend
12.A Morkel
13.A Nel
14.M Ntini
15.M Ngam

Craig

World Traveller
Why wont Boucher be there?

He is 26-28 now and seems like he has been playing for over 10 years.