• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Rahane v. Umpires Project

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hungover as **** and stuck in bed so thought I'd do a CW version of investigative journalism using cricinfo scorecards/hawkeye. The number of incorrect dismissals is 5 which is probably 1-2 lower than most expected but huge considering they all happened in a 10 month or so span in test cricket and Rahane's played 15 tests in his career. A non-scientific direct replacement of incorrect dismissals to not outs changes his average from 47.00 to 58.75.

Also surprised by how easy this is, obviously constructing a database etc. wouldn't be easily possible but for the sake of discussion, doing it manually for 1 or 2 players won't take much time at all.

1. Auckland - 2nd Innings (1st Test: New Zealand v India at Auckland, Feb 6-9, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo)
Boult to Rahane, OUT, and what a beauty first ball. What a perfect ball. That has swung, but oh - hold on - Rahane has hit this one. What a time for a rough call. The game could change because if this. A lovely inswinger first of all. Starts around off, comes back in, hits him plumb in front, except that Rahane has hit it. Oh what drama at Eden Park. A Kallis-esque moment from Wanderers
AM Rahane lbw b Boult 18 (22m 21b 3x4 0x6) SR: 85.71
2. Lords - 2nd Innings (2nd Investec Test: England v India at Lord's, Jul 17-21, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo)
Broad to Rahane, OUT, short again, fended at, it loops a long way in the air and up towards square leg, here comes Prior sprinting up and diving and taking the catch! But was it off the glove? Yes says Bruce Oxenford! Rahane shakes his head and the replay reveals it was flush off the arm guard, not even that close to the glove, a very poor decision but India have made their bed and now must lie in it. Nasty short ball from Broad, Rahane played it poorly but got very unlucky with that decision
AM Rahane c †Prior b Broad 5 (18m 8b 1x4 0x6) SR: 62.50
3. Adelaide - 2nd Innings (1st Test: Australia v India at Adelaide, Dec 9-13, 2014 | Cricket Wicket commentary | ESPN Cricinfo)
Lyon to Rahane, OUT, inside edge to short leg says the umpire, Lyono is turning things around! Beautiful off spin bowling as he flights the ball outside off, hits the rough and Rahane was stretching out to try and block. But oopsy, it's only lobbed off the pad. No bat involved!
AM Rahane c Rogers b Lyon 0 (4m 5b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00
4. Melbourne - 1st Innings - (3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo)

5. Sydney - 1st Innings - (4th Test: Australia v India at Sydney, Jan 6-10, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo)
Watson to Rahane, OUT, Rahane has been given leg before after a long look by umpire Kettleborough, had a go at the pull and missed, the ball did not rise up as much as expected it to, hit on the thigh pad but he is not a tall man, have to wait for the ball tracker to see if that too high, yes, replays show that would have gone over off stump

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If only there was some tool out there that could have prevented these irksome miscarriages of cricketing justice. If only.

Teja.

Global Moderator
If only there was some tool out there that could have prevented these irksome miscarriages of cricketing justice. If only.
Thread more just something interesting for all the Rahane fans as opposed to a petition for change/whinge about umpiring tbh.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
maybe when decisions like this occur they should be edited post game to give the batsman a not out to help their average unfairly falling... lol

Compton

International Debutant
maybe when decisions like this occur they should be edited post game to give the batsman a not out to help their average unfairly falling... lol
You'd then have to go back an adjust bowling/batting averages for not out decisions which should have been given too!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bit disappointing Rahane isn't very good at the shorter formats. If he was....then it might actually spur the BCCI to stop being so petty about the DRS.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Never been given not out when he was out?
I don't think so but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm not protesting the injustice, haha, just that we often wonder just how many times he's been wrongly given out when it keeps happening in tests and the number being thrown around at the end of the Australian series was 8 so considering I had a morning off and he's one of my favourite players, thought I'd just check and see how much of it is legend.

The thread is a lot more flippant than people are taking it.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
to be honest, Rahane is the first one since Lara that I have cared to follow this closely in terms of umpiring decisions and I should say, he, just like Lara, seems to get more rough calls against him than for him... In fact, I can hardly recall a time when he was out and given not out. And having followed almost all of BCL's test match knocks since 1998, I can say the same about him too.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maths not a strong point
You just sound like a millennial who GOOGLED some nonsense then came up with a conclusion. Rahane wouldve scored more runs if he hadn't been given out. It anything he would've averaged 30 runs more. Lol what a dumbass

/redsok