• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath Vs Akram!

Wasim or Mcgrath

• Wasim Akram

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 24 36.4%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
what so we are just going to use Lara's performances as a benchmark of how good Mcgrath or Akram is/was....we can just forget McGrath's superior test and ODI record..is that right

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Swervy said:
Akrams bowling performances hardly slipped as he got older anyway..in fact in a lot of ways I feel Akram got better when his body wouldnt allow him to bowl so fast.
Then what does this suggest :
Last 15 games he had a average of 33.
Last 10 games he had a average of 29.
Last 5 games he had a average of 64.

Swervy

International Captain
godofcricket said:
Then what does this suggest :
Last 15 games he had a average of 33.
Last 10 games he had a average of 29.
Last 5 games he had a average of 64.
well his last 10 matches didnt drag his average up too high did it...its quite ironic that, for someone who has completely dismissed the figures I produced, those being in 6 key statistics that are a measure of how successful a bowler is in both tests and ODI's where Akram was superior in not one category, you should use similar statistics that suggest Akram got worse as a bowler in his last few games

godofcricket

State 12th Man
McGrath has better statistics.Then why is it that top players from around the world dont go with the statistics and consider wasim as a better bowler???

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
5 centuries, 7 Fifties and 3 40+ scores in 38 innings with two not out scores.Not really a domination.
But of the other 23 times, McGrath has got him on 10 occasions, 8 of them in single figures...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Yeah and what is the score of the LAra against Akram. I hear he wasn't even to cross 100 against Akram. ;)
Well, a minute ago you argued that Wasim's record against him in terms of dismissing him was because he's hardly played him, so the same would apply here :P

Swervy

International Captain
godofcricket said:
McGrath has better statistics.Then why is it that top players from around the world dont go with the statistics and consider wasim as a better bowler???
what ...have i missed the interviews with top players where they have been asked 'Who is the best, McGrath vs Akram'.

I actually fact I dont think I have ever said that mcGrath is a better bowler than Akram...I have said that I would prefer McGrath playing in my team if my life depended on it, and I have said that statistically, McGrath has actually been more effective.

i am not going to say who is better, because you may as well ask who was better warne or derek underwood..impossible to answer as they were two completely different bowlers...but I will not buy into the thing that Akram is by far the better bowler, because a)they are completely different and b))not that it matters too much coz the question is not valid) McGrath has actually been more effective...........

i am not arguing with those who say they would rather Akram in there team over McGrath or whatever, I am arguing againt the idea that mcGrath doesnt even have the right to be classed up there with akram as an all time great bowler (of any type) which some people seemed to be making out earlier in this thread

Last edited:

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Swervy said:
what ...have i missed the interviews with top players where they have been asked 'Who is the best, McGrath vs Akram'
It doesn't go McGrath vs Akram. Its just that most top players consider Akram as better bowler than many greats including McGrath.

Swervy said:
i am not arguing with those who say they would rather Akram in there team over McGrath or whatever, I am arguing againt the idea that mcGrath doesnt even have the right to be classed up there with akram as an all time great bowler (of any type) which some people seemed to be making out earlier in this thread
Fair enough. I do certainly put him in my great list aswell but lower than Akram.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Bouncer said:
If there is one cricketer who i hate is Wasim Akram(I think he took more away from Pakistni cricket than what he gave to it.), and i have ran into alot of trouble in Pakistni forums for saying this.
But Comparisions as Bowlers between the two, without any hesitation its Wasim, simply coz guy is a match winner, in the first over, 6th ovar and final over of his spell, there is no Answer to his Varity, Though he is VERY MOODY, not very consistent of a performar, (To me the biggest Pakistani under achiever), butdespite all this, in MCgrath and Akram, Akram leads by long distance.
I am afraid Bouncer but I will have to partialy agree with you . Knocking off the lower middle order batsmen with so ease also means that Wasim is good in the crunch situations but anyways Mcgrath is my favorite for some obvious reasons...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why did you bump up the old thread Franz when there was a new thread on this same issue :p

FRAZ

International Captain
First of all It is Fraz and I am sick of Franz . I like my own name which is what I am and Fraz is my real name , and it is not "impressed by some" name .
I just wanted to check one thing and that thing is happening lol . Because now some people are jumping in and voting for Mcgrath . haha .. Well . And actually I was reffering to Bouncer who said a good thing and I was just quoting his "well said sentence". Thats it
Cheers

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
. And actually I was reffering to Bouncer who said a good thing
I knew Neighbours' favourite dog was a talented actor, but I didn't know he could speak!!

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wasim Akram was just spectacular in his days. And about the time he retired, I'd have given it to him.

But now I will go with mcgrath