• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia, time to end the all rounder thing?

watson

Banned
Ricky Ponting played a handful of innings at No.3 in 1996 after debuting in 1995 but then spent 54 Tests at No.6 or so. He wasn't made Australia's permanent No.3 until the Ashes series of 2001 when Langer vacated to the spot to open with Hayden.

If Mitch Marsh, or any other promising young batsman is to bat first drop then it's probably better that they first do an apprenticeship batting lower down the order until they have proven their technique and temperment.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just last year Mitch Marsh was tentatively pencilled in as Australia's ODI no. 3 and he did ok, but only lasted a couple games then Steve Smith became ridiculously good

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was 22, man. Young, dumb and in love with dat straight drive. We all bin der.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol... good one :) but really, I saw Burns play against us in a test or two but do not really rate him.

And on a related note, in the past decade or two, it has only really been Clarke and Ponting who have burst into the scene as youngsters and commanded an almost permanent spot since, right? It is amazing that you have to be as talented as those blokes in order to nail down a slot in the Aussie batting line up as a youngster. Almost all the time there is a somewhat senior player raking up the runs and piling on the pressure. So was trying to see who are the blokes currently in the domestic scene doing that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Khawaja is good but seems to have pissed someone off or something

Spark

Global Moderator
Did his ACL (?) early-ish in the summer, hasn't played a game since.

Not like he's scored that many runs since being dropped.

In fact he hasn't really had a genuinely notable FC season since 2010.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh fair enough.

I knew he'd made some runs last season but they were mostly ODD runs. Was in good form in that comp tho.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Also gets tied down against quality bowling at his weakness, but I won't labour that point yet again.

Usman is to me as Raval is to Athlai, that is to say, a myth.