• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thoughts on State Shield final/ SOO match etc...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well i've just arrived back from Christchurch & i'll post my views on what went on at the cricket.

The State Shield final was sensational..I was sitting in a good position it seemed because all the sixes & fours seemed to be hit in my direction.
Craig Spearman was sublime, but the key points will be Jamie How & Ross Taylor.
I think Jamie How proved that when he finally gets to bat on a decent wicket, he's a brilliant stroke maker & striker of the ball & Ross continued what he's done all season so I was glad to see him get some time out in the middle.

Craig McMillan & Chris Cairns were rubbish. Lets face it, if Craig McMillan has to play 3 reverse sweeps to score runs than he's a bigger idiot that I thought he was & i was then alarmed to see Cairns do the same thing.

I didn't end up going to the State of Origin because of the rain but from what I saw..Chris Martin should have been picked ahead of Ian Butler. Sure Butler has pace, but Martin has pace & accuracy at the moment & some of his balls to Hamish Marshall & Scott Styris will have the South Africans pretty confident they can do the same.
Mason deserves his spot in the team because I thought his bowling in both the State Shield Final & SOO matches was superb.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Following on about Jamie How....man is he good, unfortunately it takes till now to find that out because of how poor the pitches in the Central North Island have been.

Very much an Australian type approach to batting & the fact that he performed so well in a Final is a good sign.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, but just look at the quality of pitches they've been batting on at Hamilton & around the Central North Island especially..its no wonder the batting averages are low.

Mingster

State Regular
All this about Ian Butler has pace and that's why he's in the side is bloody nonsense. Let's face it, he's not that quick and he won't trouble batsman with that alone.

Chris Martin arguably bowled at the same pace as Butler, including movement and accuracy. Butler can't even trouble batsmen consistently at domestic level.

I hope Butler is going to be the one to be omitted from the 13.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Martin at international level One dayers

1.1 Steak pie FOUR
1.2 Apricot pie SIX
1.3 Mince pie SIX
1.4 Peach pie FOUR
1.5 Chicken pie SIX
1.6 Vege pie no run

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
I backed Butler up until recently, but I am really worried, and very surprised he made the 13. Out of all of the bowlers in the North South game he was one of the worst. In fact, he seems to get smacked around quite consistently by domestic batsman, which is a worry because a lot of mediocre bowlers still have great success on NZ pitches.

As for Chris Martin, he was actually quite successful for NZ at test level (not so much in one-dayers), and if he is any slower than Butler it isn't by much. I think he could well deserve another go. Although at the moment, either Butler or Martin would be very much 13th man IMO.

Mingster

State Regular
Sad to vege pie...:D

Seriously, at least Martin has the better accuracy to Butler. However, I'm not pushing a case for Martin to be ahead of Mills or Mason.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What I've noticed about Chris Martin recently is that he has become more aggressive. He's bowling short deliveries, but they're directed brilliantly & he seems to have matured alot since he last played for NZ.

I'd definately pick him over Butler...even if Martin were to be smashed by South Africa I think his stats give him more justification of being selected rather than Butler (who Im absolutely sure will be murdered by the South African batsmen)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
southern man said:
Martin at international level One dayers

1.1 Steak pie FOUR
1.2 Apricot pie SIX
1.3 Mince pie SIX
1.4 Peach pie FOUR
1.5 Chicken pie SIX
1.6 Vege pie no run
Just goes to show, you can't beat a good old Veggie Pie!!!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Where abouts were you sitting Tim? I had a few sixes come in my direction. I was in the Canterbury Cricket Area in the hagley stand.

As for Martin. He is struggling to keep a place in the Canterbury team. He is only there at the moment cause of injury concerns to some of our other bowler.