• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can any Indian bowler consistently bowl a yorker?

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Tendulkar is too defensive minded. We need batters that can bat agressively through the first 15 overs. Sehwag, Pathan, Yuvraj, and maybe Ganguly (when on top form) are the most agressive. We need to see the spark that Tendulkar showed when he was 24...the top of his game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Is it me or is everyone just a little over-excited about Pathan's batting?

Having said that, a few tons in the U19 WC wouldn't surprise me.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Is it me or is everyone just a little over-excited about Pathan's batting?

Having said that, a few tons in the U19 WC wouldn't surprise me.
Neil, Pathan isn't in India's squad for the u-19 world cup.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Arjun said:
That would not help at all. Remember the World Cup final? He was one of the targets in that match, after which I was one of many who said that he's of no use to the team after that.

As for Salvi, he was bowling well in Dhaka, then had an average tour of England with the A team, then he got injured. After that, he was not quite the same bowler, but he's a good pace prospect.
I don't think there has been "an after that". Salvi hasn't played at all since he sustained the shoulder injury.

His tour of England was a bit better than average -- he averaged 29 with the ball which was reasonable given that India A played on some very flat tracks.
He did take 4-92 in the only game that really mattered against South Africa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
2 Top Drawer ODI openers not opening for one that is untried in that role.
Yuvraj Singh is far from untried at the top of the order - he is a tried and failed. What's more, he should never have been tried.
He is not an opener - India would do best not to add him to the long list of middle-order players forced fruitlessly to open.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jpatel1508 said:
India seriously needs to groom some very good young bowlers who can bowl yorkers at the speed of 140 to 150 Km/h.
You can't just "groom" them - you simply have to wait until someone who can do it appears.
It shouldn't be too difficult - your population is big enough. The problem is finding them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Yeah, back on topic,

Zaheer is the best Indian exponent of the 'consistent' yorker in ODI cricket I have ever seen.

So to answer the question, the answer is

Zaheer Khan
Hmm, don't know about that.
Personally I'd rate Khan as average as Nehra, Balaji, Pathan, Harbhajan and Kartik.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could've sworn it was more than that. Odd.
Still, as I said, I don't think he should ever be made to open - like any middle-order player, they bat where they bat for a reason.

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
does anyone remember david johnson?
the guy who bowled for india for short while, where did he go?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
David Johnson bowled rubbish. Another failed attempt at exploiting away conditions with a so-called fast bowler.

There have been many such misfits, like him, Prashanth Vaidya, Dodda Ganesh, Harvinder Singh and Robin Singh Junior.

Salvi was in action for the Challengers and bowled well there. Not so well in the Irani match and in the TVS Cup final, he was clearly in bad shape.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Arjun said:
David Johnson bowled rubbish. Another failed attempt at exploiting away conditions with a so-called fast bowler.
You can't call him failed. He took 2-52 in his last test against SAF in SAF and in his first against Aus , 40-1 or something like that. He took 2 five wicket hauls on that Saf tour in side games. He was just a victim of false selection policies of those days.

Zaheer Khan is the best yorker bowler of India IMO. I remember in that game against SAF in the last champions trophy when SAF needed around 36 in 6 and then he bowled 2 overs for 3 to win the games. He has done it in other pressure games too except for that WC Final where he din't bowl well throught out the game.