• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly to Gilchrist- you're not as innocent as you look

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kenny didn't you watch the Brisbane match between Australia and India? The match India won. Ganguly opened with Sachin because Sehwag was injured, and Williams got right in his face after getting him out caught and bowled. It isn't fair if he can get away with it while Pathan can't. Consistency please.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen.

Players from both sides are guilty of sledging and of the send offs. They are as bad as each other.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Kenny said:
I've never seen Williams give anyone a send off.......Pathan was reprimanded, not Lee or Williams!
It is b'coz the much hated Ganguly did not complain to the refree while the much loved Ponting complained to the refree for the first gesture itself :rolleyes: . You seem to hate Ganguly with a passion :O

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
mavric41 said:
If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen.

Players from both sides are guilty of sledging and of the send offs. They are as bad as each other.
But it seems the Australians were the only ones that complained to the umpires. Ganguly took it to Ponting which was the right thing to do, but when Pathan did it Clive Lloyd and the ground umpires had to get involved. Why? Now Pathan has been reprimanded while Brad Williams gets off scott free. This is a major concern because there is a high chance me and many other cricket fans will have to see that disgusting face of his similar to the one he made to send off Ganguly. That thought alone gives me nightmares.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
Kenny didn't you watch the Brisbane match between Australia and India? The match India won. Ganguly opened with Sachin because Sehwag was injured, and Williams got right in his face after getting him out caught and bowled. It isn't fair if he can get away with it while Pathan can't. Consistency please.
I must have missed that incident - I wasn't able to watch the whole game......I have no problem with consistency, fair call, but did Williams clap in his face?

Slow Love™

International Captain
There is so much inconsistency on this issue, that I don't know where to begin. Some say that there is a double standard, and that players from the subcontinent get treated worse by officialdom than those from the other countries.

Maybe there's some truth in this, although it seems to me that players like McGrath have been made an example more than some players, and there was certainly a fear of taking serious action against Ranatunga in the late 90's.

Personally, it seems to me to be as simple as godawful application on the part of the referees.

Here's what really pi$$es me off about these recent incidents. I personally didn't have a problem with Parthan's behaviour towards Hayden (in fact, it was enjoyable, and provided some "punch" to the game). I DID think that getting all in Martyn's face was over the top, although I agree that it's a minor deal, and a reprimand was all that was necessary.

But Williams' getting all over Ganguly wasn't appropriate, and you should only pull that kind of physical crap if the guy you're doing it to is in on the joke. And Ganguly clearly wasn't. If action is going to be taken over Parthan, then the referees better wake up and smell the coffee, and at least reprimand Williams in kind.

This isn't what annoys me most however - the STUPIDEST comment on this whole affair was delivered by Adam Gilchrist today - where he said that perhaps sometimes the needling got out of hand, but that players should be big enough not to run and complain to the umpire about it.

1) What the HELL does he think that Martyn was doing in this VERY game????

2) Has he forgotten when he, himself complained to the umpire about a comment he accused Rashid Latif of making, which he later acknowledged probably didn't happen?

Really, really stupid, and a poor way to end the series.

BTW, I don't mind a bit of needling, and I think that people have gotten carried away with some "standards" that they expect the players to uphold (and there's obviously a fair degree of romanticization of previous teams, that in reality, were no better, and often worse, like Richards' West Indies, etc).

But if we're going to punish these kinds of transgressions, than the officials of the game could at least be consistent, and the Aussie players could perhaps not be so hypocritical about the whole thing.

Not that the Indians hands are clean in that regard, either.

Last edited:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Are you referring to William's jokingly massaging Ganguly's shoulders, or something that the Indian guys are talking about that happened in Brisbane?

PY

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
BTW, I don't mind a bit of needling, and I think that people have gotten carried away with some "standards" that they expect the players to uphold (and there's obviously a fair degree of romanticization of previous teams, that in reality, were no better, and often worse, like Richards' West Indies, etc).
I think a lot of that is do with the fact that what happened on the field, stayed on the field.

Now you can argue until you are blue in the face about whether that's a good thing or not but with huge media coverage of every international game and the introduction of stump mikes etc means it staying on the field is getting less and less likely as we go on.

Think the problem lies in certain players being unable to give and take in sledging terms. Was a pity to end the series on a sour note. :(

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Think the problem lies in certain players being unable to give and take in sledging terms. Was a pity to end the series on a sour note. :(

to true :)

i certainly make sure i give at least as good as i get when i play :D:D:D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ganguly should be suspended for the entire Pakistan tour for this. He's not performing, his team's being hit hard and what does he do? Talk trash! He can't even bend to stop a ball.

Even if Gautam Gambhir doesn't get under anyone's skin, he'll still do the job. And he can field. Which is why I want him to replace Ganguly for the whole tour.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Look I'm really sorry, but what you do not do, is go to an international press conference, say "I didn't want to make a big deal of it" and then make a big deal of it!!!

Look, Ganguly is very well known for this kind of stirring - being late for the toss, calling something ridiculous like 'bird' or something when the coin is tossed, playing the victim when it suits him - the Aussies are certainly not angels, but no-one here should have the gall to even suggest that Sourav Ganguly is the kind of fantastic sportsman that we should all look up to, because he is not!
That press conference was a classic example of his rubbish - if he didn't want to make a deal out of whatever happened, why bring it up at the press conference??
The man is an ass, I'm sorry.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny - Instead of calling Gangs names, you should look at your own players who were preaching that players shouldn't complain to the umpires and then run to the Umpire on the first given Opportunity. Atleast Gangs didn't report Williams incident to Lloyd. Did he ??

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:
Kenny - Instead of calling Gangs names, you should look at your own players who were preaching that players shouldn't complain to the umpires and then run to the Umpire on the first given Opportunity. Atleast Gangs didn't report Williams incident to Lloyd. Did he ??
Could that be because there was nothing to report?
Williams certainly looked pretty jovial to me. I keep seeing people refer to an 'incident' - what was it? A shoulder massage??

shankar

International Debutant
Kenny said:
Look I'm really sorry, but what you do not do, is go to an international press conference, say "I didn't want to make a big deal of it" and then make a big deal of it!!!

Look, Ganguly is very well known for this kind of stirring - being late for the toss, calling something ridiculous like 'bird' or something when the coin is tossed, playing the victim when it suits him - the Aussies are certainly not angels, but no-one here should have the gall to even suggest that Sourav Ganguly is the kind of fantastic sportsman that we should all look up to, because he is not!
That press conference was a classic example of his rubbish - if he didn't want to make a deal out of whatever happened, why bring it up at the press conference??
The man is an ass, I'm sorry.
Obviously at the post-match conference some journalist would have asked him what he'd spoken to ponting abt. when he walked out to bat. He didnt bring it up. He didnt make a big deal of it and complain to the umpire or the ref. unlike someone else.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by shankar
He didnt bring it up. He didnt make a big deal of it and complain to the umpire or the ref. unlike someone else.
I wish people would make up their mind.
When the Indian team complain about things, its fine, but when the Aussies do it, its not because for some reason or another when they complain it's just being hypocritical. Dont think that the Indians are all innocent, how do you know HALF the stuff thats said out there?!

Like someone said before, both teams are as bad as one another, who really cares? Let them sledge and complain as much as they like, its not hurting anyone:rolleyes:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Actually, the more I think about it, Ganguly probably knew his young bowler had been reported by the umps, and being the pro that he is, decided on a 'red herring' strategy......
I mean, come on!!! 'An Australian player said something'??????

It is a legitmate tactic, but unfortunately, Pathan was the only player who transgressed in that particular match.

You Indians imagine how you'd all be feeling if Glenn McGrath or Jason Gillespie clapped in Tendulkar or Dravid's face when they got out.......you'd all be calling for suspensions and so forth!!!