• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v Australia 1985

Julien

Cricket Spectator
Were England mucking around with the seams on the balls used about this time? Seem to recall they tried to stop trundlers getting their 80 wicket seasons by making the seam much less prominent at some time.
That was exactly what they did for the 1990 season, although as Jack Bannister pointed out in his ‘Don’t Blame the Ball’ from the 1991 Wisden – an article I devoured for many years in the 1990s and early 2000s – that change was actually reverting to the seam used on balls from before about 1970.

The less helpful ball allowed for unrivalled run-feasts against the inept English bowling of 1990 – as I noted in my previous post not a single England-eligible bowler averaged under 26 that summer, and the average for all first-class county matches was an amazing 38.72 runs per wicket. Yet, that same 1991 Wisden described English batting as “technically poor” and said that “good bowlers showed it up, even in the batsman’s conditions of 1990”, but that, sadly, “none of these [good] bowlers was eligible for England”.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The "good bowlers" who "showed up" the "technically poor English batting" would be Ian Bishop, Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Waqar Younis (the only players with 50+ wickets at under 26), so it took 3 ATGs and one who might have been with better fitness to succeed. Several other overseas players who would generally be regarded as at least "good bowlers" - Courtney Walsh, Winston Benjamin, Patrick Patterson, Tony Gray, Franklyn Stephenson, plus the semi-fit Allan Donald and Wasim Akram - notably failed.