Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Like Tree728Likes

Thread: Indian Cricket Tea Lounge

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Kohli is so good right now that he should just bat 3 across formats for us, a la Ponting. I am wondering if India will get more in LOI with Rohit at 5 and Rahane opening than the other way around.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    So since we all know Ravi Shastri loves to lurk these forums in his spare time, what do you suggest we do with the ODI XI?

GI Joe suggests we bring in Uthappa, bump MSD to 4, and drop Rahane. Not a terrible idea, but still leaves us with a big hole at 7.

I'd prefer we stick with Openers-Rahane-Kohli-MSD-Raina, and we bring in some like Jadhav/Uthappa to bat at 7, with Raina, Rohit and Kohli bowling more.

Dhoni can' hit out anymore, but he's still a master of finding the gaps and getting the singles. All Binny needed to do was get one single boundary and the game could have been won.

So what we really need is a couple of power hitters to bat alongside him, especially in the sub-continent. Raina and Uthappa fit the bill. Ideally I'd have a lineup of Rohit-Dhawan-Kohli-Dhoni-Raina-Uthappa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

Dhoni wont be around in 2019 tho, yet Rahane will be.

Wouldnt it be better to start grooming a new keeper with that in mind, and letting Rahane find his feet in ODIs?

I mean this is exactly what I was taking about when I was ranting about Rohit. He was doing much worse than Rahane was and for much longer, with several better options on the bench, but kept on getting picked. Rahane hasn't even done that badly and has a killer Test record to boot, and already we're talking about dropping him. We barely have any better alternatives too.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Dhoni wont be around in 2019 tho, yet Rahane will be.

Wouldnt it be better to start grooming a new keeper with that in mind, and letting Rahane find his feet in ODIs?

I mean this is exactly what I was taking about when I was ranting about Rohit. He was doing much worse than Rahane was and for much longer, with several better options on the bench, but kept on getting picked. Rahane hasn't even done that badly and has a killer Test record to boot, and already we're talking about dropping him. We barely have any better alternatives too.
    That's the problem though - I'm not sure he won't be around. If Dhoni and the selectors think he'll be around come 2019, he needs to bat 4. Continuing to dick round lower down the order tells us nothing about whether he'd be useful at 4.
    zorax likes this.

Has he spoken about the 2019 WC in any interviews or stuff recently? Or maybe the selectors/Shastri?

He definitely can't make it till then batting at 5/6. Which sucks because we dont have the resources to fill 5/6/7 without him, and also because that means Rahane gets left out.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I think he wants to play till 2019 WC obviously, but he is looking towards the CT 2017 as the important point where he'll make that decision. Kohli would be captain for over 2 years then, so if the need arises he can take over with 2 years to go for the WC.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

We don't yet know how the World Cup 2019 team will shape up. That's too far ahead. They have to try to win as many matches and tournaments as possible, even if Dhoni carries on. After all, whom do we have besides him? There's Dinesh Karthik, Saha, and the possibility of Sanju Samson eventually being good enough for India will exist then. But the days of the prolific wicketkeeper-batsman may be as good as over, and they'll have to pick the bloke who can keep to spinners best.

We don't know how many more matches they'll lose till Rahane's good enough in limited overs. I'm not sure it's worth it. Rather, he can concentrate on Tests, while the likes of Gurkeerat, Jadhav, Mayank Agarwal and other limited-overs players fill those teams.

There's not much an Indian team can win with seam-up bowlers barely as tall as most of the batsmen and bowling slow medium-pace. They'll need to strengthen the seam bowling camp by picking blokes who are, at the very least, sufficiently tall and athletic. We're looking at a camp with blokes like Umesh, Pankaj Singh, Pandey, Varun Aaron and possibly Ishant. Exceptions may be made for all-rounders, but only up to a limit.

The immediate target, besides fixing the Test side, is getting right their team for the forthcoming World T20. Pick the blokes who've been doing well in IPL and SMAT.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    I honestly think Dhoni will call it a day after the T20 WC. So he might as well bat 4 till then. Ideally, Rohit is the guy who can muscle it the longest in this side and one of the very few who is comfortable doing it from ball 1. He batted at 4 for such a long time for MI too in the IPL even this season. It would be awesome if we had Rohit and Raina batting 5 and 6 for us, esp. in SC conditions.

But Rohit has been in God mode in ODIs and T20s and esp. in our conditions, the possibility exists that he will just tear it up and score huge. So it is very difficult to move him out of the opening slot. Unfortunately, this generally means one of Dhawan and Rahane should sit out. I love Rahane but his time will come, esp. in ODIs. For now, I think we should start grooming a more aggressive #6 and see if Binny can cut the mustard as a #7. Else we go back to Sir.

How about Gurkeerat? Is he a big hitter? Boy we miss someone like a Yusuf Pathan now,don't we? Never thought I ll see the day.
    Arjun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I honestly think Dhoni will call it a day after the T20 WC. So he might as well bat 4 till then. Ideally, Rohit is the guy who can muscle it the longest in this side and one of the very few who is comfortable doing it from ball 1. He batted at 4 for such a long time for MI too in the IPL even this season. It would be awesome if we had Rohit and Raina batting 5 and 6 for us, esp. in SC conditions.

But Rohit has been in God mode in ODIs and T20s and esp. in our conditions, the possibility exists that he will just tear it up and score huge. So it is very difficult to move him out of the opening slot. Unfortunately, this generally means one of Dhawan and Rahane should sit out. I love Rahane but his time will come, esp. in ODIs. For now, I think we should start grooming a more aggressive #6 and see if Binny can cut the mustard as a #7. Else we go back to Sir.

How about Gurkeerat? Is he a big hitter? Boy we miss someone like a Yusuf Pathan now,don't we? Never thought I ll see the day.
    Memory is bad at best of times, but from what I seen in IPL, he knows how to go big and most importantly he doesn't need to many balls to get going which is crucial.

The likes of Hooda and Yadev also are destructive. One of them needs to be given a chance, India need someone towards the end who can play the Yuvraj role.

On Rahene, he opens or does not play, he is not needed otherwise as India have enough players who do what he does.

Suryakumar Yadav would be a good shout for the number 7 slot.

We may have a radically different ODI top six, bar Dhawan and Kohli. They can open with Dhawan and Rohit, followed by Kohli, Dhoni, Raina and the other limited-overs player, for which there are plenty of options- they have Gurkeerat, Manoj Tiwary, Surya Yadav, Kedar Jadhav and Ishank Jaggi (or on form, Karun Nair).

Manoj Tiwary may just be the man to choose if mostly hitting big sixes is a priority- in the year 2014, he played 17 ODs, hit 25 big ones. For a better strike rate, you have the likes of Gurkeerat (who's more of an innings builder than a striker), who's been in form across two seasons, and also Kedar Jadhav, who's not been in the best of form lately. On present form, Mumbai's Suryakumar Yadav seems a good bet- a high FC average indicates he can build an innings too, and he too had a great 2014. This year, these blokes haven't had much action. Raina's turn of poor form is a matter of concern.

Karnataka opener Mayank Agarwal has been great in limited-overs cricket, over three years. Average over 50, strike rate over 100, should be enough to get him in ODIs as an occasional swap for Dhawan, and in the first T20I XI.

Definitely high time for India to explore their options.

Bhajji is 35, Mishra is 32, Axar/Binny/Ashwin/Jadeja wont cut it at 7, and we cant keep relying on Raina for late-innings fireworks.

Who do we play next? What does the A Team have in store? Gotta find some middle order batsmen and young spinners, and ideally a limited-overs allrounder.

With MSD seemingly a lock at 4 till 2017 atleast, and with Kohli not likely to be shifted from 3 again anytime soon, positions 5-6-7 need filling. Rahane is a gem but he wont do for that role, and Rohit has been tried and failed there + is killing it as an opener.

Tricky times for the ODI side. All the best young talents are top-order batsmen. I think the key here is to identify someone who has the skills to bat 5-6-7 and begin to groom them.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    We need to pull the trigger. Time for the Age of Hooda to commence.
    Niall and honestbharani like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

I still wanna try Rahane/MSD/Kohli for atleast 10-15 ODIs btw. Really think Kohli has all the skills needed to be an excellent number 5; more so than any other batsmen available to us.

Uthappa, Jadhav and Tiwary are good stop-gap solutions, but unless we can identify youngsters who can take their place by 2019 there really is no point in playing them.

Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread Information