• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Five consecutive 5-wicket hauls is no joke, regardless of the conditions. And by all reports he is back to his best form - or atleast really close to it.
Yaa, but he should have played the whole domestic season, would have been interesting to see him against stronger teams in less helpful conditions. He needs to be tested.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Would be interesting, but why wait when we can see him in action against in a Test against SA? It's not like Mishra and Bhajji are doing great as the second spinner in the Test side anyways.

Might even see Ashwin/Mishra/Jadeja as a three pronged spin attack

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be interesting, but why wait when we can see him in action against in a Test against SA? It's not like Mishra and Bhajji are doing great as the second spinner in the Test side anyways.

Might even see Ashwin/Mishra/Jadeja as a three pronged spin attack
Huh? You did see how awesome mishra was in SL didn't you?

Niall

International Coach
Play Sir as the all rounder, and Ashwin and Mishra can be your frontline spinners with whatever 2 pacers you choose.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nah, Jadeja shouldn't have been back. Certainly not so soon after he was dropped, if ever for tests.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin, Jadeja, Mishra, Bhuvi all can bat. So it ll make sense to have the 3-pronged spin attack in Indian conditions.

Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane Saha Jadeja Ashwin Mishra Umesh Ishant.

Back up fast bowler: Bhuvi
Back up spinner: Bhajji
Back up opener: Rahul
Back up middle order batsman: Rohit

This squad looks strong to me in the sub-continent.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Sir update: 7/60 this innings scripting a superb turnaround for his team. 6 consecutive 5 wicket hauls in 6 innings. 5 daddies. Looks like its the world record in first class matches for consecutive hauls. No harm trying him now for the tests against SA when his confidence is high.

OverratedSanity

I'm never a fan of playing 3 spinners. On a normal pitch, play your lead spinner (Ashwin). On a turner, play your two best spinners (Ashwin, Mishra). Even if it's a rank square turner, you don't really need the third option anyway as the two you have should be able to do the job anyway, and having a third inferior one in Jadeja might only end up taking away overs which could've been bowled by the other 2, as captains feel obligated to bowl all options available.

If Ashwin and/or Mishra are unavailable, we might have to go for Jadeja/Harbhajan. That's a pretty scary thought tbh. You can never know what to expect from those two.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sir tears up FC, should not be brought back. Bhajji gets tonked in FC, should be back for tests coz he has done it before. #pratterslogic

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm never a fan of playing 3 spinners. On a normal pitch, play your lead spinner (Ashwin). On a turner, play your two best spinners (Ashwin, Mishra). Even if it's a rank square turner, you don't really need the third option anyway as the two you have should be able to do the job anyway, and having a third inferior one in Jadeja might only end up taking away overs which could've been bowled by the other 2, as captains feel obligated to bowl all options available.

If Ashwin and/or Mishra are unavailable, we might have to go for Jadeja/Harbhajan. That's a pretty scary thought tbh. You can never know what to expect from those two.

But you are just being silly here. The suggestion is to play Sir ahead of Binny, not one of the spinners. Unless you think Binny is either a better test batsman or bowler than Sir, it is obvious why we should pick Sir for the #7 slot.

OverratedSanity

But you are just being silly here. The suggestion is to play Sir ahead of Binny, not one of the spinners. Unless you think Binny is either a better test batsman or bowler than Sir, it is obvious why we should pick Sir for the #7 slot.
Did you not read the part where I said how picking a third spinner eats into potential overs from the lead two of Ashwin and Mishra? If we have two spinners in the team in SC conditions, we don't need a fifth bowler imo and should just opt for a proper no.6.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah sorry missed that part somehow. But if you think we should pick a 6th batsman, I can see the argument. I will still play 3 spinners though, coz over a 4 test series, even spinners get tired.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Would prefer Ojha to be back if both Ashwin and Mishra are unavailable. With Ojha, you know what you will get. He has been working hard and bowling well for Bengal.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's interesting OS. Earlier Kohli mentioned they want to play five bowlers and they picked Binny afterwards. Bunny bowled quite well as a support bowler in Lanka. I like Binny as the fifth bowling option. South Africa didn't spin well, and it's home conditions. Jadeja on turners as third spinner can do fine. But some thing doesn't seem right about Jadeja for tests. He just doesn't strike me as a test level player batting or bowling wise from what I have seen. That is the same for Binny but a third seamer as opposed to two spinners helps in two ways - exploits newish ball as first change, gives good breather to fast bowlers. A good comparison to Jadeja would be Moeen Ali I guess.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I am not comfortable with just four bowlers though. You need a fifth bowler of some sort to give the main bowlers a breather. India hasn't had any one who can do that post Ganguly, Sachin, Sehwag. Vijay, Dhawan, Rahane, Kohli, Pujara etc just don't bowl. We should probably look to blood Karun Nair asap. He is some one who looks ready and can bowl a bit too.

OverratedSanity

As I keep saying, if we have two spinners, we don't need a fifth bowler. 2 seamers and 2 spinners on an Indian wicket can handle the workload just fine.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sir tears up FC, should not be brought back. Bhajji gets tonked in FC, should be back for tests coz he has done it before. #pratterslogic
It's important to watch cricket rather than just look at stats. Else Joginder Sharma would be the greatest bowler ever and Hussain would not play lot of test cricket. I have told you million times the two or so fc games Harbhajan found the wickets non supportive of spinners. Not sure why you are drawing me into debates either.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

It's important to watch cricket rather than just look at stats. Else Joginder Sharma would be the greatest bowler ever and Hussain would not play lot of test cricket. I have told you million times the two or so fc games Harbhajan found the wickets non supportive of spinners. Not sure why you are drawing me into debates either.
What about the test he played in SL on a spinning track where he was completely toothless and was the clear weak link in the attack?