• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do the overseas players get by during the IPL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What I really liked about Dravid was that he went to the ticket counter to get a print out of the ticket (those days you couldn't do with showing your cell phone with the ticket mail). He was extremely normal all through. Didn't try to demand any privileges and behaved very normally.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw Virat Kohli at a grocery store in Mumbai last year. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Pepsis in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the cans and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each can and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have heard from several people about Kohli being rude. This one takes the cake though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hope no overseas player ever goes to play in the IPL without reading Pasag's guide to what one might find happening on a typical Indian street.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What a load of xenophobic rubbish. I don't see any thing remotely funny, if that was the intention. It it's trolling, you clearly have a lot of free time on your hands. Now what you really should be doing is buying a noose..
Hahaha, this is a horrible thing to say.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I imagine they are at the hotel the entire time when they aren't playing or training. Unlike in some other cricketing countries, there can't be much to do in India. The overcrowding, the culture, and so on. Although the money in the IPL is good for anyone on a decent contract, it must be an uncomfortable experience having to spend almost two months (those playing all the games) there.
:laugh:

Can't get over how great this thread is. Wish I had made it myself.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I saw Virat Kohli at a grocery store in Mumbai last year. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Pepsis in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the cans and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each can and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
copy pasta must remain on the appropriate image boards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

My mate met him at a gym and told him the best spots in Melbourne to get a good haircut.

You should have done that too.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw Zaheer, Gambhir and some young looking guy at the Mumbai airport. They weren't surrounded by fans or anything. They were in the same flight as us and when they arrived in SA they were taking their luggage off the belt like everyone else and I used the opportunity to get an autograph which was pretty cool.

That is all.

harsh.ag

Was at the same party as Yuvraj and Zaheer a few years back. After dancing for a bit, Yuvi went out and was sitting on the floor with his back up against the wall, trying to have an emotional conversation with what seemed to be a very upset female on the other side of the line. Didn't disturb him. Seemed quite upset. Then the phone call was over, and he went back to dancing...

harsh.ag

I imagine they are at the hotel the entire time when they aren't playing or training. Unlike in some other cricketing countries, there can't be much to do in India. The overcrowding, the culture, and so on. Although the money in the IPL is good for anyone on a decent contract, it must be an uncomfortable experience having to spend almost two months (those playing all the games) there.
I am being very serious. I suppose those fat contracts soothes over some of the problems, knowing they will get back home to a much much bigger bank balance.
Yeah. It can get quite real with the cows and beggars infesting the malls. especially the kids constantly pleading for alms to play another arcade game. Not to mention the food which is a surefire guarantee to give you some good old fashioned diarrhea. But fear not, I have heard they are going to open a new non-Indian, first world zone this year in most cities, with sushi and wine and waitressing. So yay!

Snippie27

Cricket Spectator
Woeful thread! Such ignorance!

But on the topic of seeing cricket players at weird places. Saw AB at the hospital once. Assumed he was there for the birth of a nephew/niece (he was with his parents or parents-in-law and was playing with his other nephews and nieces outside gynaecology whilst we were visiting my own nephew in NICU)

Was a pretty awesome surprise during a really difficult time for our family. My sister's father in law got him to pose for a nice photo as well :-)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. It can get quite real with the cows and beggars infesting the malls. especially the kids constantly pleading for alms to play another arcade game. Not to mention the food which is a surefire guarantee to give you some good old fashioned diarrhea. But fear not, I have heard they are going to open a new non-Indian, first world zone this year in most cities, with sushi and wine and waitressing. So yay!
Don't forget the projectile vomiting

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thread typifies the problem with modern day cricket; worries about IPL overseas players but not those touring India with their country who face the same brutal issues.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
In contrast in little old NZ, I've seen quite a few black caps walking around over the years (on the street, in supermarkets etc). A few years ago I saw 4 or 5 of them at the gym - no one was talking to them (had they been All Blacks on the other hand).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I like that in Australia, be it a cricketer or a high profile Australian in general, can more or less walk around and enjoy a normal life without being disturbed or mobbed by a bunch of ****wits just because 'oh wow he is on TV'.

I mean, Ive seen Mark Nicolas doing soft sand runs at bondi beach and nobody called him out for being a wanker.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Thread typifies the problem with modern day cricket; worries about IPL overseas players but not those touring India with their country who face the same brutal issues.
I think there is an interesting question as to what extent the players who are based there as part of a franchise are left to their own devices, or whether they have structured activities put on as they might if they were part of a touring team. Also, for players with families would they be put up as well for the duration of the tournament. I guess each franchise would differ as to social activities and how it caters for its players.

It sounds like the nightlife is pretty good:

"After nearly every game there's an after-party, there's Bollywood stars there and fashion parades; the drinks are free and the cheerleaders are around. It's a different world. Sometimes you wonder if you're here for cricket or not. Ultimately you are. It is good fun, but at the same time I don't think it's reality," Oram said.

The South African cheerleader who claimed she was sacked after blogging about alleged after-party shenanigans with Australian players was big news in India. Oram said the presence of cheerleaders was largely a taboo discussion topic but some team owners weren't big fans of the pom-pom wavers. But IPL organisers felt they added to the glamour of the tournament. So too, did the numerous photos of Hurley.

"She [Hurley] was here for a week, halfway through the tournament. She's a very nice lady and has an organic farm herself, so with my wife's family being organic farmers there was a conversation starter there.

"She brought her kids across and Shane had his three kids there, and nannies and a bit of security so there was a massive entourage for a while," Oram said.

"He [Warne] is a nice guy, really easy to talk to. He's about to retire and that experience will last forever. I'm glad I had that opportunity. I played alongside Rahul Dravid; there's some pretty cool things I've experienced."

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Having so many players from different countries playing together is certainly beneficial to the modern game. Knowledge gets passed on. A lot of times, an opposition player can remain an unknown for an entire career. You get to know your opponents a bit more personally. It can be argued whether this is necessarily a good thing - would a fast bowler be able to be as nasty to a 'friend' say. I like to think it's a good thing. A better camaraderie among players and sharing of ideas can only be good for the game at large.

Status
Not open for further replies.