• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting question

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
The Answer is:.That batsman is out. And he/she is Bowled Basicly they have played the ball on.

And the answer has come from one of New Zealands top umpires.

Last edited:

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yeah the umpires gave it to both teams at the final at the weekend when it was raining and no-one got it right. But basicly thinking about it now it is the same as playing the ball onto your pads and then it going onto your stumps.

Anyway I found it interesting. Thought you might as well.

PY

International Coach
James - Think it pretty much fits in with this from the description Tamara gave us.

Law 30 (Bowled)
1. Out Bowled
(a) The striker is out Bowled if his wicket is put down by a ball delivered by the bowler, not being a No ball, even if it first touches his bat or person.
As the bowler has bowled a delivery, the batsman's wicket is down; the person has touched it with their foot and bat but this is covered in the last sentence.

:)

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
This would have been out if the match was played after 2000

In the 2000 code the following change was made:

Law 30 (BOWLED)
CHANGE
‘Before completion of stroke’ no longer a consideration. Striker is vulnerable until contact between ball and fielder or umpire.

Since the batter had completed the stroke it wouldnt have been out bowled according to the old laws.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
shankar said:

Law 30 (BOWLED)
CHANGE
‘Before completion of stroke’ no longer a consideration. Striker is vulnerable until contact between ball and fielder or umpire.

Since the batter had completed the stroke it wouldnt have been out bowled according to the old laws.
This must have happened after the Mark Waugh incident.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What Mark Waugh incident?

I find it disgusting that the bowler would get the credit for a wicket he clearly doesn't deserve in this case! :lol:

Slow Love™

International Captain
shankar said:

Law 30 (BOWLED)
CHANGE

Ah... That's certainly what got me - I thought that seeing as the batsman had finished his stroke, he was safe.

Interesting... I had no idea that rule had changed.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I guess they must be referring to that incident in the early 90's, when South Africa were touring Australia, and Waugh knocked out his stumps with his bat, stepping away from the crease. The umpire's adjudged against "hit wicket", because he had finished his shot and was walking away casually sideways. I think it was the incident that lead to Cronje throwing a stump at the dressing room door.

Not sure that would have an impact in this rule change, because he still couldn't have been given out bowled - the ball never hit the stumps.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
if the umpire doesnt raise the finger but the batsmen walks on his own accord the batsmen is deemed out.

we had one on the weekend where the batsmen hit the cover of it and we all went up, the batsmen hit the ball that hard he didnt wait for the umpires decision however the umpire didnt hear it so was none the wiser then the batsmen decided to turn around as he seen the umpire didnt give it and we said u cant do that and the square leg umpire siad yep even i heard it so he continued to walk off, give out in the book.

Deja moo

International Captain
The Answer is:.That batsman is out. And he/she is Bowled Basicly they have played the ball on.
Did the batsman get credited for the run completed before being"bowled out"?/?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry for thread-digging but was playing in the garden today and the following happened:

The ball was bowled the batsman(me) missed the ball, it hit a stump, the stump had visibly moved backwards but not out of the ground BUT the bails had not fallen off.

What is your verdict?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Jamee999 said:
Sorry for thread-digging but was playing in the garden today and the following happened:

The ball was bowled the batsman(me) missed the ball, it hit a stump, the stump had visibly moved backwards but not out of the ground BUT the bails had not fallen off.

What is your verdict?
Not out

i remember Graeme Smith tredding on his stunps off an Anderson delivery in the SA-England tour 2003. Bails didn't fall although on the replay it showed that the stumps lent backwards. It was the second time he did it that series, the first time the bails fell of so was out.

On that basis, a batman isnt out if the bails don't come off.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

I find it disgusting that the bowler would get the credit for a wicket he clearly doesn't deserve in this case! :lol:
Exactly they don't deserve that wcket. It should have been something like

P. Coverdrives b. P. Coverdrives ...21

Because he got himself run himself out not the one of 11 men who stood round the wicket and watched the batsmen run. How can a whole team be so lazy. i can only imagine the B*ll*cking their Wk, point and square leg must have got from the coach.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
SpeedKing said:
Exactly they don't deserve that wcket. It should have been something like

P. Coverdrives b. P. Coverdrives ...21

Because he got himself run himself out not the one of 11 men who stood round the wicket and watched the batsmen run. How can a whole team be so lazy. i can only imagine the B*ll*cking their Wk, point and square leg must have got from the coach.
lol

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:

What is your verdict?
Yes, it is not out. There is a very interesting story in this regard.

Actually, very very long time ago, in a match(it was at least a first class game if not a test match), the middle stump was knocked out of the ground by a bowler and the wickets did not fall !!

Actually, due to the heat, the varnish on the bails had melted and they got stuck to each other (and maybe even the leg and off stump). The batsman was given not out but after that, varnished bails were not allowed in any representative match !! :)

There have been instances of bails jumping up and coming down to rest back on the stumps and the batsman has been declared not out too :)