• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Pakistan is so "Unpredictable"??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
They can be nothing but unpredictable coz they are...
extremely talented,
extremely indisciplined,
and have never thought of cricket as a thinking man's game.
They are Pakistanis, in short - the country is turbulant, and it would be very tough to take cricket out of that.
Even if Bob does it in the short-term, I can't see there being much different with Pakistan in 15 years time than it was in 1979.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I feel that one of the reasons for the unpredictability of Pakistan from the 90s onwards is due to the number of internal disputes within the team. Earlier, it was the Akram versus Waqar and many more such pairings in the team of the 90s. Now there is the Shoaib versus Inzamman to an extent. These were at their worst during the dark years of the match fixing saga, and that left a big scar on Pakistani cricket and its team.

I feel that the world was robbed in a way of the proper display of the talent that the Pakistani team of the 90s had. They never really played as a team and that was the cause of most of their unpredictability. I mean they should have been the best team when Akram, Waqar and others were still in their prime, yet they never reached that potential. If only Imran had still been around in the 90s to lead the team, I feel Pakistan could have really given Australia a run for their money.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Still, it's a good job that 'foot in mouth disease' wears off - I'd be a terminal case otherwise.

Unfortunately only in most cases does it wear off.

Others like to do it on purpose then feign innocence when brought to task over it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
I feel that one of the reasons for the unpredictability of Pakistan from the 90s onwards is due to the number of internal disputes within the team. Earlier, it was the Akram versus Waqar and many more such pairings in the team of the 90s. Now there is the Shoaib versus Inzamman to an extent. These were at their worst during the dark years of the match fixing saga, and that left a big scar on Pakistani cricket and its team.

I feel that the world was robbed in a way of the proper display of the talent that the Pakistani team of the 90s had. They never really played as a team and that was the cause of most of their unpredictability. I mean they should have been the best team when Akram, Waqar and others were still in their prime, yet they never reached that potential. If only Imran had still been around in the 90s to lead the team, I feel Pakistan could have really given Australia a run for their money.
Yes you are right, to indiscipline, unthinking approach and misplaced bravado, I should have added internal bickering.

It has invariably prevented them from playing as a team except under Imran who was not just a strong leader (helped by the fact that he was a great cricketer) but also under him he had a bunch of talented 'youngsters' who were yet to become prima donnas as cricketers from the sub continent become ealier and much more often than any where else in the world.

The establishment also encourages such internal politics by supporting one against the other in such an obvious manner. Thankfully, India got out of this problem in the eighties. Beofre that Bombay, versus North versus South was pretty common and the board presidents played the 'game'

Its a shame for this is the most naturally gifted cricketing pool in the world.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
SJS said:
The establishment also encourages such internal politics by supporting one against the other in such an obvious manner.
Its a shame for this is the most naturally gifted cricketing pool in the world.
Ironically, according to Aamir Sohail, it was Khan who brought internal politics into Pakistani cricket. :ph34r:

deeps

International 12th Man
well, i thiiink the pakistan team are now the 3rd best one day team in the world

Australia
England
Pakistan

are my top 3 CURRENTLY. Pakistan seem to have gotten over the inconsisten phase for now...wether it stays that way we'll soon find out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why?
Because England have beaten India twice, Sri Lanka once and Australia once?
And because Pakistan have beaten India twice (once in a shortened game) and Sri Lanka once?
If so, just goes to show what a fickle game ODI-cricket can be.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
Pakistan seem to have gotten over the inconsisten phase for now...wether it stays that way we'll soon find out.
Its a bit early to say that. But clearly they are somehow looking more resolute. Woolmer's wonder works ?

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
deeps said:
are my top 3 CURRENTLY. Pakistan seem to have gotten over the inconsisten phase for now...wether it stays that way we'll soon find out.
i guess thats y the west indies beat them

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Hit4Six said:
I agree that is a huge sign that Pakistan have not come over their unpredictability, nothing taken from Woolmer though, fantastic coach.

pakster

U19 12th Man
As much as i'd love to see pakistan playing to their potential all the time, creaming the best of the best with ease, theres a part of me that loves the pak team just the way they are.

Consistency is boring, inconsistency isnt!

Theres something ever so well....ammusing about losing to a minnow in one match and creaming top quality opposition in the next....thats the pakistani way, and thats the way I like it!

deeps

International 12th Man
Hit4Six said:
australia are still rated number 1 by most ppl, even though they lost to england, who in turn lost to the west indies. You can't say they are inconsistent because they have lost one of their past 10 odd one dayers.(not exact stats or nething, just making a poinT)

What is pakistans win loss record since woolmer took over?

tooextracool

International Coach
deeps said:
well, i thiiink the pakistan team are now the 3rd best one day team in the world

Australia
England
Pakistan

amazing how both WI and NZ arent part of that list....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not really.

After side number 1, the rest can be put in pretty much any order depending on a) who's writing the list and b) what they had for dinner last night.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New Zealand have been easily the most consistent with victories recently, since that Pakistan tour where they had about 2 regular first-teamers and lost 5-0.
However, the margin of the victories (I took another look at that South Africa series the other day, and almost all the games could have gone either way, there really wasn't much conclusive about it) were small in many cases and certainly I wouldn't call them overtly better than West Indies, any of the subcontinental sides, South Africa or even England.
The mid-table stuff really is a big tussle ATM, just a shame we have Zimbabwe and Bangladesh ruining the spectacle and causing a need for lots of meaningless supposed-ODI cricket.

Abdul

Cricket Spectator
Well, I think that it is because Pakistani team keeps changing players, choach, mangement and not forgetting the captain.
The players are not sure and confident about their cricket, that's why it just happends that they play good cricket 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
However, the margin of the victories (I took another look at that South Africa series the other day, and almost all the games could have gone either way, there really wasn't much conclusive about it) were small in many cases and certainly I wouldn't call them overtly better than West Indies, any of the subcontinental sides, South Africa or even England.
you mean like most ODIs these days can go either way? the difference between 2 quality teams in ODIs is the on that performs better under pressure on that day, and i think its quite clear that NZ has performed far better than SA under pressure.
not to mention of course that there were several games in that series that NZ won quite comfortably, along with the fact that they destroyed the WI in every game of the natwest series.

realcharm

Cricket Spectator
Short term planning seems to be it - and money.
PCb is a big organisation and generates huge amounts of finance but it still does not have a CEO. It's chairmans are appointed these days by a military dictator and we had an army officer as chairman a few months ago. That is the height of unprofessionalism. What is an army brigadier/major supposed to do as the chaiman of PCB? Wage war through cricket against India? Send ISI spies to the BCCI and get to know which new "Pakistan killers" are coming through?
And now Shaharyar Khan's seems to be following his lead. People contracted by the PCb are being paid 10 times more than the market price. Advisors type of people are earning huge sums on per houir basis. Why can't this money be used for improving the domestic system? Ramiz Raja was the only person who seemed to be somewhat intelligent but he too left. The board wants to make money and that's it. Test cricket is being ignored as sponsors just don't feel attracted and the crowds are always thin. PCb needs to think over its policies. How pathetic can they get - playing 2 match series and fitting in more and more useless and boring ODIs when the whole world is even playing 7 test series.
The pitches prepared in Pakistan are totally batsmen friendly. PCB's own coach tells them that he wants bowler friendly pitches to test his batsmen (I wonder how much Pakistan would have made if that had been the case against SL) but they don't listen just because the people and hence the sponsors don't like low scoring games - they just aren't exciting enough - cool.
It is the PCB that has to change first and only through its hard work and honesty will truly talented cricketers get a chance to represently their country with honour.