• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** U-19 World Cup 2004

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan would have beaten anyone they faced in the final IMO. They have an amazing bowling lineup and watching them in action you really started to wonder how the West Indies would even get 2 runs per over against Tariq and Amjad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There are too many bowlers being hyped up as the next Glenn McGrath, it's ridiculous....Michael Mason is similar, but not in the same league here in NZ & previously i've heard Salvi & this new player Rao from Pakistan being similar to McGrath also.
So Bresnan is another one is he?

The least one could have expected from ICC was to have the bowling action of Taiq Mahmood and Afridi be cleared fom the UWA experts, if its proven that they were chucking in the WC,then how can you give the trophy to such a team?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have not seen any of the World Cup, but from reports & comments I have been hearing...there have been at least 4 or 5 bowlers with suspect actions.

Now the ICC said at the beginning of the tournament that they would clamp down on bowling actions that had problems yet it seems nothing has been done.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Chuck the Chucking already

There's no point speculating before anything about the actions are proven. Especially since most of us here haven't even seen these guys bowl.

I don't think this should color the glory of the Pakistan team. They played some awesome cricket, and it's really nice to see a team win because of its depth in bowling rather than the usualy batting-fests that we see.

Good on them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But those of us who are commenting have seen them bowl. I'm not trying to taint the Pakistani victory, as I think Tariq Mahmood in particular is a huge talent but needs a bit of remedial work to get him legal.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But those of us who are commenting have seen them bowl. I'm not trying to taint the Pakistani victory, as I think Tariq Mahmood in particular is a huge talent but needs a bit of remedial work to get him legal.
Yeh i saw a fair bit of him, and it looks shocking.... Im not sure if he would be such a fine talent if he was forced to bowl legally...

I attended a net session with my new club last night, there were far too many guys in the lower age groups who chucked... Cricket could be facing a huge crisis if its the same everywhere....

thierry henry

International Coach
Ok I release I am days late on this thread, but the highlights of the final were shown on NZ TV last night. I just about had a heart-attack when I saw Riaz Afridi, this guy is the most blatant chucker I have ever seen at any level of televised cricket. Anyway, that's what I thought until I saw Mahmood. Mahmood is one of the first of what I think will be a series of bowlers inspired by Muralitharan- everything about his approach and action is clearly copied off Murali, and he turns the ball a mile and has a terrific doosra, but he CHUCKS IT. His action is nowhere near as tight as Murali's.

Langeveldt

Soutie
thierry henry said:
Ok I release I am days late on this thread, but the highlights of the final were shown on NZ TV last night. I just about had a heart-attack when I saw Riaz Afridi, this guy is the most blatant chucker I have ever seen at any level of televised cricket. Anyway, that's what I thought until I saw Mahmood. Mahmood is one of the first of what I think will be a series of bowlers inspired by Muralitharan- everything about his approach and action is clearly copied off Murali, and he turns the ball a mile and has a terrific doosra, but he CHUCKS IT. His action is nowhere near as tight as Murali's.

Totally agreed...

Chucking IMHO is along with Match fixing one of the worst crises ever to hit the sport....