• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserve Aussie batsman for tour of Sri Lanka

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Its almost certain Lehmann will make the Aussie test team.

So the batting line up in tests vs Sri Lanka is likely to have

Hayden,Langer,Ponting,Martyn,Lehmann and Katich

Who do you think will be the extra batsman who will go with the team?

Love,Clarke,M.Hussey are looking candidates. Hohns even indicated a few weeks back that Bevan is not out of th picture.

I would personally go with Bevan. I know he has had problems against bouncers earlier but he has made tons of domestic runs and deserves another chance.

The selectors IMO would go for Love.

Whom would you chose and who do you think the selectors will chose? Also, do you foresee changes in the first XI itself with any of the six batsmen mentioned not incuded in the test matches played?

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
i'm guessing they'll go wif m.hussey

bevan won't go ...he just picked up an injury,and i doubt they'll pick him str8 after an injury...

also maybe clarke, bcoz of his brilliant footwork and prowess against spin...also it would b good to give him experience in a few warm up matches

I'd go with Clarke or Hussey, but I think in all likelihood Love will be picked. Clarke plays spin better than Love, however, so that levels things up a bit.

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
IMO the selectors will go with Clarke as although he hasn't done anything all that spectacular in the one day side, he's shown he has much potential and it'd be good for a young player like him to gain the experience.

Craig

World Traveller
Love would be the ideal first slip fielder to the spinners although ML Hayden isnt bad in there.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I hope like hell it's not Love.

There are bettter batsman than him and he is suited to batting top four any lower and he is a compleatly usless.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Michael Bevan for sure does deserve another chance to play test cricket for Australia, though that seems a remote chance & he is injured also at the moment.

Clarke should be first choice then, followed by Hussey.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
It should be Love. He has been scoring lots of runs and scored a hundred in his last test innings.

I wonder who the development player they take along will be? Clarke? Tait? David Hussey? or maybe a young spinner like Beau Casson or Nathan Hauritz?

Eclipse

International Debutant
mavric41 said:
It should be Love. He has been scoring lots of runs and scored a hundred in his last test innings.

I wonder who the development player they take along will be? Clarke? Tait? David Hussey? or maybe a young spinner like Beau Casson or Nathan Hauritz?
No it should not!

ok sorry he certainly has done nothing wrong to be honest.

But he looked so ordanary even against Bangladesh that hundred he made he was droped three times and made a first ball duck in his previouse innings.

He has a good tempremant but IMO a rather poor tehneque he get's cought in the slip's and by the keeper way to often and only compensates by making huge scores when he does get a start.
Those huge scores are not going to be avalable batting at number six for Australia and even so I dont think he could make them at test level.

Craig

World Traveller
I would bat Love at 3 ideally, but that will never happen.

Perhaps Love at 4 and Martyn or whoever at 5.

Martyn might be skating on thin ice.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
There are bettter batsman than him and he is suited to batting top four any lower and he is a compleatly usless.
Can you explain who please?

At this stage he would be a reserve batsman.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Love would be the ideal first slip fielder to the spinners although ML Hayden isnt bad in there.

i think Mr Shane Warne will have something to say about that....

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Perhaps Love at 4 and Martyn or whoever at 5.
Oh sure, they are going to put Love in a spot Marto has had for a long time now... what planet are you on? (I'll leave out the Queensland jokes...) He was in the team when Marto had his finger injury, and when Marto came back, guess who was out?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Linda said:
Oh sure, they are going to put Love in a spot Marto has had for a long time now... what planet are you on? (I'll leave out the Queensland jokes...) He was in the team when Marto had his finger injury, and when Marto came back, guess who was out?
Martyn has had TWO YEARS at 4 and has not scored a hundred. His form at 4 is not a patch on what it was at 6. Put him back at 6, Katich at 5 and Lehmann at 4 with Love the reserve. And if you look at Love's record he rarely gets out for less than 10.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
Love was only a replacement for Martyn for the series against Bangladesh, before that Lehmann replaced Martyn for the West Indian tour and they only played five batsman. And Love was always a replacement, so it makes sence he would make way for the injured batsman. IMO he was robbed by Katich, Love was next in line and Katich had a shocking season last year and should not have been picked.

Love deserves his spot as reserve batsman and will more than likely go. With scores of 300*, 67, 63, 100 the last three in his last three first class innings he had done more than Clarke.

The ideal Australian batting line-up IMO would be Hayden, Langer, Love, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann.

They may take 8 batsman with Clarke being the obvious choice or perhaps anoter spinner or all-rounder, Symonds is not out of the picture, being one of Ponting's favourites does help.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
If they were to take a young spinner for development reasons, it would have to be Beau Casson.

There isn't anyone else worth considering. I don't rate White's bowling and Hauritz lacks variety.
Doherty is OK and so is Liam Zammit but neither have suggested they have the makings of test class bowlers yet.