• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Robin Singh retires

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Robin Singh has retired from international and domestic cricket.

A cricketer with a never say die attitude.

Good luck with your coaching career with India u-19's Robin !

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the better and fitter players the Indian team has had. He was never the most talented, but more than made up for it with his attitude. When the team needed a good, solid innings to get them out of trouble or a quickfire 50, he would get it for them. ?When they needed a good spell of bowling, he'd do the job. His fielding was exceptional and could win a few matches, too. A good balance of batting, bowling and fielding, with attitude and fitness, made him one of the most effective players.

When the Indian team was out of the 1999 World Cup, he tried to explain why they didn't last- it had to do with lack of support to the batsmen and the point system, something that could be critical of the team management. He did play in the next tournament, but was soon out of contention, since he was 'too old', though he was still good enough to play, despite his age. Even for the 2003 World Cup, a lot of Indian fans wanted him in the team. You cannot predict what Agarkar and Sodhi or Bangar will do at a time, but he was someone who could be relied on.

He has done rather well as a coach. He had coached the youngsters in their tour of England, where they lost the FC series, but won the one-day series. He has also done well with the team that one the tournament in Pakistan. He gets along well with the younger players, so it's a good sign. An ideal coach for a young team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm amazed to find-out that he was still playing at 40.
I thought he'd retired years ago.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I too also thought he had already retired. He was a very reliable player for India. As already stated, he wasn't the most talented but he had a great attitude, and that's what makes a good coach. Being naturally talented doesn't mean you will be a great coach for young kids, it's the attitude in which you play the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
You cannot predict what Agarkar and Sodhi or Bangar will do at a time, but he was someone who could be relied on.
I wouldn't say that at all.

136 ODIs for 2336 runs @ 25.95 and 69 wickets @ 43.26 is average at best - with Agarkar you know you're at least going to get wickets, and his economy rate isn't that much worse than Singh's.

masterblaster

International Captain
A salute to Robin, always a hard working player, always giving 100% and someone the youngsters can really look up to.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Good to see him being employed by BCCI. He was a player who gave it his all . Decent batsman but very good in end overs, top fielder and a useful bowler. A bit sad that he didn't play for India when he was at his peak around 1994. He used to bowl at a good pace at that time.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I liked Robin Singh! He was one of my fav players in the Indian team and I was sad when they left him out just because of his age. He was still playing well and was easily one of the fittest guys in the team. He had a great "never say over till its over" attitude and was awesome on the field. He was one guy you could rely on if there was a tight over to be bowled or you needed some quick runs. He would come out and quietly do his job without much fuss.

4 matches of his stand out for me.

-Against Zimbabwe in 1997 when he helped India to a tie from a near impossible situation.

-Against Pakistan in Dhaka when he scored a run a ball 83 (had a big partnership w/ ganguly who scored a 100) chasing 315 to win.

-Against Australia in '99 WC when he made 75 in a losing cause

-His five-for against SL in SL

Its a pity that he became a regular part of the team only when he was 33. :(

He will be remembered :)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well done Robin Singh for his great cricketing career. Brilliant player, fielder and sportsman.