• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will on field umpires become obsolete?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yesterday at cricket we were having a conversation about this. Evidently soon umpires will have a real time snicko mic hooked up to them. As technology like hawk eye and camera stuff improves, do you think on field umpires will become obsolete at some point? In two decades could the game's arbiter be technology entirely?

I like traditional stuff, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised this is a distinct possibility.

What aspects of the game could/couldn't be adjudicated by technology as technology develops?

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Player behaviour certainly couldn't.

Even in League cricket (in my experience) the benefits of the umpires sensing the mood of the game, and individual players are notable. A quiet word often stops things building up into problems.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Player behaviour certainly couldn't.

Even in League cricket (in my experience) the benefits of the umpires sensing the mood of the game, and individual players are notable. A quiet word often stops things building up into problems.
My thoughts mostly also. Umpires can subtly influence the tone of the game.

Tyler Cowen says yes.
I don't get this even after googling him. Am I missing something?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
what about decisions regarding ball changes? Player behavior? Deciding when the ball is dead or signalling to a bowler that the batsman isn't ready to face yet, can't imagine the game running properly without at least some officiator out there in the middle

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't get this even after googling him. Am I missing something?
Cowen's book Average is Over, and him generally being pessimistic on non-standard human jobs being retained in the future. Although he strongly agrees that the tasks which require more subtle judgements will be the ones generating human jobs, and that could be umpires if you take the entire role of the job. But for just decision making purposes of umpiring, they will be supplanted, I am certain. You could have an HR manager in the middle there :)