• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan: Conquering Fortress Australia

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
deeps said:
um,edit that.....i just rememberd that ****'s is a forbidden term... but i don't seee why, it's just like calling the australians aussies but if it offends ne1, i didn't mean it in an offending way,and i apologise
It is an offensive term in the UK.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
It is an offensive term in the UK.
I think it's a question of context (i.e. abbreviation or insult) and, more importantly, whether the Pakistani (and other) contributors to this forum find it offensive. Probably better to steer clear of the term. After all, it's only a few extra letters to type.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
I agree. Pick a team from 1997 and that would be acceptable. The Pakistan of today have to really buckle up...
...but they've just beaten South Africa and New Zealand (away) in successive series. They clearly have some real talent coming through (Taufeeq Umar, Yasir Hammed, Shabbir Ahmed, Sami) and must be considered a threat to Australia. The series against India will be very interesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Shoaib can maintain his progress of the past 6 months he'll be a massive threat. If Shabbir can do the same and either modify his action or have it proved it is legal he is a perfect opening partner. If Kaneria can improve on his Test performances against teams other than Bangladesh he'll also be a very useful performer. If Saqlain can get his place back he'll almost certainly do better than anyone else.
And if they could manage to find just one more good seamer then they'd really have an attack to fear.
The batting is then the major question. Taufeeq, Inzamam, Youhana and Moin will hopefully be reliable performers. Don't know about anyone else, but Asim Kamal looked OK when he played.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
i think on recent test form pakistan can beat anyone in the world. taufeeq umar at the moment is one of my fav plyers cos of his tekneek he is class hes so class and also about the so called insult well im pakistani and i dont care.

FRAZ

International Captain
jamesryfler said:
Has anyone here seen Abdur Rauf Khan or Mohammad Irshad or Osama Shahriyar bowl ?

According to the Pakistanis who live on the BBC messga eboard, these three are the next generation of Pakistani fast bowlers...needless to say, they are all "reputedly" very quick.

Perhaps we'll see one of them later this year in Australia.
RAUF IS EXTREMELY FAST. Even more than Sami .Rauf has nt got control on Line and Length .So he has been asked to Improve Ball control and when he ll learn that then to Put Speed back into his Bowling. You see in domestic cricket he is fast but in the recent A level tour he was just a medium pacer trying Outswings,Cuz he has been asked not to speed up. He has bowled 150+ IN THE NETS regularly. Rest I dont know much . But Rauf has a very good reputation being the 3rd fastest bowler in Pakistan .

Deja moo

International Captain
what do the pakistanis feed their bowlers????

I mean you throw up one quickie after another as if you have a production line.....

FRAZ

International Captain
orangepitch said:
what do the pakistanis feed their bowlers????

I mean you throw up one quickie after another as if you have a production line.....
Well thats kind of a culture. The reason i.e more applicable is that in Pakistan most of the youngsters play with a tennis ball which is COVERED in a STICKING tape . They call it a tape ball . After 5-6 overs the tape has to be applied again . And the bowlers get success only when they bowl really really fast . In original cricket , A medium pacer and a quicky has a difference that a medium pacer is using only the shoulder , I mean the basic source of revolution is the shoulder root , And an express bowler has a slight help from the elbow and the wrist too , And the jerk is immense in case of Lee and Akhtar , which is mostly believed to be chuking . But thats not true . Any ways As the kids in Pakistan during their childhood when they play their tape ball cricket develop ability to be called as a good fast bowler when they grow up . One more Theory which is a little B.S. Most of the Fast bowlers who have come From Pakistan have played cricket in Lahore . And Lahore is a city of foods , And food is really really heavy LIKE STEAKS , roasts and other meat based things, May be thats the answer of your Question. Any ways to play original cricket with pads and acessories is not feasable in the streets and so people and kids like to play even on the streets by putting high voltage lamps in the night and seriously the bowling becomes so fast on the street that its very difficult to judge some times and it hurts too . People talk about match fixing . Actually in the streets in Pakistan most of the games which are played in nights are played upon betting . So thats why if you are gonna ask any Pakistani Player that how he started cricket then he is gonna tell that He was first a fast bowler when he was a kid and used to play with a tape ball .Ramiz Raja has told all this above story (not me only).So that cricket is like an academy of fast bowlers in Pakistan. remeber if you havent got a good pace then you can never face the booing crowed cuz its very easy to hit a medium pacer over the roofs with tapeball.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Plus the batting tracks over there aren't exactly suited to line and length medium pacers with no variation i.e. most NZ bowlers, you either need to be a deceptivem edium pacer or have a lot of out and out pace.

Maybe not, as I'm not Pakistani.

FRAZ

International Captain
Token said:
Plus the batting tracks over there aren't exactly suited to line and length medium pacers with no variation i.e. most NZ bowlers, you either need to be a deceptivem edium pacer or have a lot of out and out pace.

Maybe not, as I'm not Pakistani.
India has the same pitches . There is extreme similarity in the pitches actually both countries are same but thats the culture on a grass root level which is making Fast bowlers in Pakistan and not in India.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My theory is/was that guys like Imran, Wasim & Waqar (and now Shoaib) are role models that all the kids want to be like... Shane Warne is very responsible IMO for the explosion in leg spinners.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
I really like pakistan's express bowlers and their spirited performance and I feel Niel has the point, also the culture plus geographical area has something to do.
We wonder, why India is not producing quality pace bowlers even after having the second highest population in the world. But the answer mostly lies in the fact that Indian kids are inspired by batting heros and the pitches are made for that. Some find idols in pakistan bowlers, that's y India got Nehra, Zaheer,now Pathan( all worhip Akram) and even Yuvraj's favourite player is Akram.In my younger age I used to imitate Abdul Quadir and still something is left with me.
Regarding their performance in Australia, it's too early to comment on that as Pakistan is having a young team which needs experience. With only Shoib, they can't beat Australia.Others have to grow up.But they are having the stuff,needs maturity...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think the current Pakistani team can beat Australia anywhere in the World in a Test Series. Pakistan's Batting is too weak and their bowling is inconsistent. Their bowling may be good enough to win them an odd match but not consistent enough to win a series.

Aussie team is playing at a different level. It has taken an entire Indian Batting line-up to click that too to draw a series.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Sanz said:

Aussie team is playing at a different level. It has taken an entire Indian Batting line-up to click that too to draw a series.
funny comment. How could u say India manged draw?!! it's true for Australia, even Waugh admitted that.
Entire Indian batting line up?!!! :lol: :lol: in the last test Australia couldn't get India fully out in both Innngs...!!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
CDAK said:
funny comment. How could u say India manged draw?
What was the Final score in the TEST Series?? 1-1 Right ?? If that is not draw, then I dont know what is.

Entire Indian batting line up?!!! in the last test Australia couldn't get India fully out in both Innngs...!!!
I can also give you the example of MCG where they got Indian batting twice without Gillespie and an out of form Brett Lee.

I hope you dont count Zaheer-Harbhajan-Agarkar-Karthik-Pathan-Nehra-Kumble in Indian batting line up. I dont. To me Indian batting lineup means Sachin-Sehwag-Dravid-Laxman-Saurav-Parthiv-Chopra and all of them really stepped up one by one whenever India was in crisis throughout the series.

BTW - I didn't say India 'managed' to draw the series - You did.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sanz said:
What was the Final score in the TEST Series?? 1-1 Right ?? If that is not draw, then I dont know what is.

I can also give you the example of MCG where they got Indian batting twice without Gillespie and an out of form Brett Lee.

I hope you dont count Zaheer-Harbhajan-Agarkar-Karthik-Pathan-Nehra-Kumble in Indian batting line up. I dont. To me Indian batting lineup means Sachin-Sehwag-Dravid-Laxman-Saurav-Parthiv-Chopra and all of them really stepped up one by one whenever India was in crisis throughout the series.

BTW - I didn't say India 'managed' to draw the series - You did.
When has Brett Lee ever been in - form ? A very overhyped bowler he is.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
shoaib had an interview in the first test against NZ where he said irshaad is as quick as him and only 20 yrs old. he also said that irshad was clocking 155kph in the lahore academy. irshaad is described as the 'fastest' weapon in pakistans domestic league.

heres an article mentioning mohammed irshad

Mohammed Irshad

Shoaib Akhtar

wants a bowling partner with lightning speed

'When you are in form and full rhythm there is no one who can create problems for you and if you are off colour then even the tail-enders overwhelm you.' Shoaib, however, rates West Indian captain Brian Lara as one of the toughest batsmen to get out

By Ghalib Mehmood Bajwa

Pakistan has been a lucky nation as regards the game of cricket as it has enjoyed the services of quality cricketers from the very beginning. In the initial period Hanif Mohammad, Nazar Mohammad, Imtiaz Ahmed, Saeed Ahmed and Waqar Hasan were the pillars of Pakistan's batting while in the bowling department who can forget the quickies Fazal Mahmood, Mahmood Hussain and Khan Mohammad. Afterwards, the greats like Imran Khan, Sarfraz Nawaz, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis performed the pacers' duties for Pakistan during their respective eras.

The awesome Shoaib Akhtar spearheads the present day pace battery of Pakistan with Mohammad Sami, Shabbir Ahmed and Umar Gul as the other members of the speed contingent.

Generally, nobody wants to share his monopoly with anyone in any field of life but the fearsome Shoaib Akhtar thinks otherwise. He wants some seamers with blistering speed in his pace attack. That's why he gave his full backing to a 20-year-old right-arm speedster Mohammad Irshad and other pacers in the Pakistan cricket training camp which was held at Lahore a few days ago for the preparation of the New Zealand one-day series.

Shoaib thinks right because Pakistan needs some genuine pacers who could fill the vacuum created by the departure of the great Ws - Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. There should be somebody who could share Pakistan's bowling duties with Shoaib in an effective manner. If Pakistan managed to formulate such a lethal attack then it could maintain its 'threatening impact' on the cricketing opponents.

A few days back, while talking to 'The News on Sunday' (TNS) Shoaib said, "Irshad possesses all the qualities of a genuine fast bowler and every body is impressed with his performance and the way of his bowling at the camp." It is pertinent to mention here that Irshad, with his sheer amount of pace, grabbed the attention of players, officials and the crowd as well at the camp.

"I have not seen a player like Irshad who is so fit and possesses great speed and stamina. Above all he has perfect line and length and control over the ball," Shoaib said in admiration. "If he continues to work hard and get proper guidance there is no doubt he will become a super star in the years to come."

The youngster can prove to be a national asset for Pakistan cricket in the near future. A few things look inevitable on the part of PCB authorities if they want to groom him as a bowling star. They should provide him proper attention and keep him constantly with the senior side. It also looks necessary to keep the young pacer away from cruel 'in and out' policy.

However, the PCB took a wise step by naming Mohammad Irshad in the Pakistan A team which is going to tour India from December 13 to 21 for a triangular event also featuring Sri Lanka. One or two such tours will definitely be helpful for young Irshad until he becomes a regular and reliable pacer of the national team.

It may be recalled here that chief selector Aamer Sohail has also expressed satisfaction over the performance of Mohammad Irshad and said that he had been selected among the 23 national side probables and then in the A team purely on merit.

When asked about his role in encouraging and training young pacers in the national team Shoaib said, "I have no hesitation in giving bowling tips to junior seamers. Even Mohammad Sami consults me for bowling guidance from time to time. I want to give two or three genuine pacers to Pakistan during my playing career. I think it will be an invaluable service for Pakistan cricket.

"Our team will lose very few games in the next 10-12 years due to bowling reasons if I'm able to contribute this service to Pakistan," Shoaib believes. "Pacers Fahad Masood and Abdul Rauf have also a bright future but they need more hard work to prove their mettle," Shoaib predicts.

He also admired young batsmen Taufeeq Umer, Imran Farhat, Asim Kamal and Yasir Hameed. "With a little more effort and consistency they can resolve Pakistan's long time batting problem."

When asked about his fellow striker Mohammad Sami, Shoaib, who completed his 100 Test wickets recently against Bangladesh during his match-winning 10-wicket haul, said: "Sami is an asset for Pakistan. He is a key member of our pace attack and will be the backbone of our bowling in the years to come."

To a query regarding his improved fitness level, Shoaib told, "All credit goes to Dr Tauseef Razzak for my better fitness level and he is responsible if I am able to bowl many lengthy spells without any trouble today." Shoaib while paying tribute to Dr Tauseef said, "His services for Pakistan cricket cannot be ignored. He played the major part in keeping our bowlers Mohammad Sami, Zahid and myself and batsman Taufeeq Umer fit enough to play for Pakistan despite having different kind of injuries. Dr Tauseef can be termed as a real benefactor of Pakistan cricket."

About his future career, the 'Rawalpindi Express' asserted that there was no guarantee for anyone's place in the team and top class performance is the only way to remain in the side. "Definitely I have to follow this formula if I want to be a member of national team in the coming years. I don't want to become a liability for the team and whenever I see this kind of feeling I will say goodbye to cricket without any delay," he stressed.

Shoaib, who enjoys rhythmic running, a smooth follow up, a strong back and shoulders, looks very impressed with Pakistan's academy system. "Majority of the promising bowlers and batsmen are the product of the PCB academies. In the future, there will be no problem of finding a suitable replacement of any player due to an effective academy system. The PCB academies, which are equipped with all modern facilities, are no less than a blessing for Pakistan cricket, and in this regard all credit goes to the fertile brain of Lt-Gen Tauqir Zia," Shoaib continued.

To a query regarding county cricket's negative or positive role in a bowler's career, Shoaib said, "There is nothing wrong with county cricket as far as a bowler's career is concerned. Majority of the bowlers polished their bowling skills in English counties. Usually bowlers do learn how to improve their control on the ball and accuracy level in county cricket," Shoaib explained.

About the growing menace of sledging in modern-day cricket, Shoaib said it is a universal truth that an excess of every thing is bad and same is the case with sledging. "It is against the norms of the game but the fast bowlers should be allowed to express their aggression but that too within limits."

The speed merchant gives a logical answer when asked about a tough batsman to bowl. "When you are in form and full rhythm there is no one who can create problems for you and if you are off colour then even tail-enders overwhelm you." Shoaib, however, rates West Indian captain Brian Lara as a tough batsman to get out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Md. Irshad's profile :-

http://ind.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/PAK/M/MOHAMMAD_IRSHAD_07046375/

Definitely an impressive debut in first class cricket. Akram played test cricket after just one first class game I believe and so it wont be a total shock if some one gets picked for Pakistan out of the blue (again!) spceialy with the new selectors and Shahryar Khan backing Shoain so much.

What I noticed in the article posted above is how Shoaib is suggesting names of bowlers. We in India are now getting some bowlers of promise now with the likes of Munaf Patel but people just dont keep suggest names like Akhtar. It builds to player groupings I belive and I can sense that from the Shoaib remarks on various young Pakistani players.. he would like to hve young bowlers with whom he can ibvously form a core group which can help in politics. Why do players have to believe in team politics? :S