• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

A full half hour of bits and bobs from the first test, England vs WI, 1957, one of the bigger classics amongst drawn matches.
First, the bad; it's only got a couple of shots of Gilchrist, and has that annoying feature of only only showing the aftermath of a dismissal (why?!).
You get extensive footage (for the time) from all but the third innings, but especially of the West Indies's first innings, where Collie Smith scored 169.
Of course the most notable feature is many shots of Ramadhin bowling his 98 overs in England's second innings as May and Cowdrey put on 411 for the fourth wicket, then a record (now held by Voges and Marsh ffs!) There's a few shots of Denis Atkinson, he of the 219 that hardly anyone actually saw fame, doing his usual job of bowling. Laker's action remains as beautiful as ever, and Lock's as hideous. Has there ever been a more contrasting pair of bowlers?
I'd have to say that bowling attack has a good chance of being the strongest England have ever put on the field, 474 in the first innings notwithstanding.
Oh and at 11:03 there's a beautiful shot of Trueman, where the observant will notice that thanks to the back foot rule and a long drag he puts he front foot well beyond the popping crease. I wonder if the front foot rule was one of the things that helped kill the classic bowling action?
And I'm sure you more batting knowledgable people can find many more notable features as well.

Starfighter

Pretty much what it says in the title!

The first day of the second test Australia vs India 1947, the second ever match between the two countries. A remarkable match in which 27 wickets fell for only 356 runs in just 10 of hours play, thanks to plentiful rain. Phadkar's hook off Lindwall a definite highlight.

watson

Banned
There is only way to return to this thread but to replay my favourite shot of all time - Rohan Kanhai's square drive off Jeff Thomson at the 1975 World Cup. I must have seen footage of a 1000 boundaries or more, but this one is comfortably the most sublime. What a batsman.....

watson

Banned
After watching Constantine bowl against England in this video I think Constantine is the fast bowler shown in the above Warwickshire match...

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Here is Bert Oldfield stumping Jock Cameron quicker than the eye can see. The bowler is possibly Ironmonger....

Last edited:

Starfighter

Here is Bert Oldfield stumping Jock Cameron quicker than the eye can see. The bowler is possibly Ironmonger...
st. Oldfield b. Ironmonger 39, on new year's day 1932.

Oodles of Bedser, and look out for Bill Edrich doing a Mitchell Johnson (2010-11-ish). Ernie Toshack, bowling wise, was like the Trevor Goddard before Trevor Goddard.

Starfighter

Equivalent big lump of cuts for the 2nd test. The amount of bowling Edrich seems to do shows hows desperate England were for pace back then.

Starfighter

Suffice to say, the Windies 51 tour was one the more disappointing ones. Some very talented players but they weren't really a team, so lost badly.

Starfighter

There's lots of great things posted in this thread you could say.

But if there's one thing that warms my cricketing soul, it's the fact that there's colour footage of Barry Knight and Graham McKenzie.

If you asked me to nominate my cult XI it would probably be ten fast bowlers and Keith Miller - a fast bowling all-rounder.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Some clips of play from the last innings in 1930, when Percy Hornibrook took 7/92. Carrie Grimmett just seems to bowl every ball into that annoying area a little outside leg stump.

Oldest recorded 'helicopter shot' at 2:28. Suck **** Dhoni.

Starfighter

England lose the final test and the Ashes by 562 runs in 1934. They would not hold them again for another 19 years, a feeling that is no doubt familiar to a good number of English fans on this forum.

Interestingly enough, despite all the huff over bodyline the previous series Clark still employs very much the same tactics that Voce did.

Starfighter

Footage from a trial match for the 1926 England side. Has the earliest footage so far of Gubby Allen bowling. He was 24 then and doesn't look as swift as later on. I think that Allen never achieved his potential due to lack of consistent playing time but back then if you could get away with being an amateur you chose to be an amateur.