• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Fined for Ball Tampering

PY

International Coach
Eyes_Only said:
Agreed but I'm going on what Simon said...and I kinda think he'd know...
That was a serious question!!! I was wondering whether that counted?

krkode

State Captain
In Cricket, do we go by innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent?

Can't Dravid speak his piece? Or Wright, on his behalf? Oh, whatever they say is "Codswallop", right?:yawn:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Whats that going to do? He'll say it was an accident, they'll say "So what, you did it anyway". End of story.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
krkode said:
In Cricket, do we go by innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent?

Can't Dravid speak his piece? Or Wright, on his behalf? Oh, whatever they say is "Codswallop", right?:yawn:
I think he has already been proven guilty of applying something other than saliva or perspiration on the cricket ball by means of a comprehensive film footage. As to him and Ganguly and Wright asserting that it was an innocent mistake, I believe them as he has always been known to be an extremely honest guy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting should be banned for being an idiot, he had no business to stick his nose in this matter but he does. If anyone should of you'd think it would be Heath Streak. If only cricket law had rules against players being stupid, but then half the Australian team wouldn't be playing.

I refuse to believe that after many years of being one of the most respected cricketers around, Dravid would purposely tamper with the ball during a useless (whether it's an international game or not, the game will be forgotten in 5 days) match. And to those that are stating the ball tampering cost Zimbabwe the game, the ball was immediately changed.

I can see the excuses being posted if Dravid has some impact in India winning the VB Series.

*shakes head*

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
Ponting should be banned for being an idiot, he had no business to stick his nose in this matter but he does. If anyone should of you'd think it would be Heath Streak. If only cricket law had rules against players being stupid, but then half the Australian team wouldn't be playing.
Nothing like a good rant, eh? Just don't extend that to football...
I refuse to believe that after many years of being one of the most respected cricketers around, Dravid would purposely tamper with the ball
And 99.9% of us didn't belive Cronje would throw matches...

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I respect Rahul Dravid as a player, he has been a thorn in the side of Australia for a few years now but he had to do this? And to not get banned for at least one match like Tendulkar 2-3 years ago (although if this had happened to Dravid, would the BCCI have made a spectacle about it like in South Africa 2 years ago?!?). 50% of match fee is nothing! Accidental, my sweaty ballsack!

As for others complaining about Aussies doing it......ban them for one match 2 like everyone else should be for doing something like that, it is against the laws of the game...ICC, get your act together!

krkode

State Captain
Neil Pickup said:
And 99.9% of us didn't belive Cronje would throw matches...
Taking money to throw games, and mistakenly rubbing some candy mixed in your saliva are two rather different things.

You seem to be suspecting Dravid just for the hec of it. Don't you believe what he says, that it was an innocent mistake?

Or do you not believe him just because you think it sounds like rubbish. Can you prove intention? Can you prove that he rubbed pieces of candy on the ball in order to tamper with it? I doubt it. So why not just give him the benefit of the doubt based on his previous good reputation?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SquidAU said:
I respect Rahul Dravid as a player, he has been a thorn in the side of Australia for a few years now but he had to do this? And to not get banned for at least one match like Tendulkar 2-3 years ago (although if this had happened to Dravid, would the BCCI have made a spectacle about it like in South Africa 2 years ago?!?). 50% of match fee is nothing! Accidental, my sweaty ballsack!

As for others complaining about Aussies doing it......ban them for one match 2 like everyone else should be for doing something like that, it is against the laws of the game...ICC, get your act together!
Mike Denness' double standards are what enraged (and correctly so) the BCCI.
Sehwag was banned for excessive appealing -- ok fine, but a lot of the South African players were just as excessive in their appealing in that test and NOTHING happened to them.

Same thing happened in this recent India-Australia series -- everyone rants on about Parthiv but conveniently forget the fact that Gilchrist and Hayden(standing at first slip) indulged in ridiculous appeals just about everytime Macgill hit the pads (particularly in the midst of a big Indian partnership).

krkode

State Captain
Off topic, but excessive appealing is the most absurd reason to ban someone, I think.

Everybody does it... :rolleyes:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SquidAU said:

I absolutely agree. Do get your act together, ICC.
Treat players from all nations equally.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
There was conclusive evidence to prove that Dravid did what he was accused of doing... that's why he got punished. As to whether he did it intentionally or not is something that we would never know, and we have to believe whatever we want. As for me, I wouldn't have one bit of hesitation in believing Dravid's own statement that it was not intentional given his past record and integrity.

As for the question about the punishment being adequate or ICC having double standards or not, I think it has been asked numerous times in various cases involving other disciplinary issues with teams from Australia, SA and others. It is an area that the ICC buggers need to fix ASAP.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
krkode said:
Taking money to throw games, and mistakenly rubbing some candy mixed in your saliva are two rather different things.

You seem to be suspecting Dravid just for the hec of it. Don't you believe what he says, that it was an innocent mistake?

Or do you not believe him just because you think it sounds like rubbish. Can you prove intention? Can you prove that he rubbed pieces of candy on the ball in order to tamper with it? I doubt it. So why not just give him the benefit of the doubt based on his previous good reputation?
I was merely playing Devil's Advocate!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
No worries PY...I could have worded it better but I haven't had much sleep recently and I typed it without thinking...;)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Waugh would have butted in just like Ponting did! I dont know how Waugh has more 'discretion' the way you put. Waugh has been more than known to make such remarks to the opposition.
Ponting's remarks were to the press, not to the opposition. On a controversial issue like this, I think that Ponting should have left it to the authorities of the game to make a public comment. And no, I haven't seen Waugh make an insinuation of this nature towards another team (or individual).

In any case, maybe I missed something. Do you have relevant, similar examples of Waugh exercising such poor discretion?

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
IMO what dravid did was a innocent mistake. Because every knew at that time India was in a comfortable position to win the match.So why would he do it.

But still it was a mistake and a player like dravid must be conscious about doing things like this. I think a max. of one match suspension was appropriate.

And as far as Ponting is concerned, he has shown what kinda of a hypocrite he is.
He forgot Lehman:alien8:

:lol: :lol: :lol: