• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How about getting his hands smashed by Mitchell Johnson et al, en route to 76, while taking 10 wickets either side in one of modern crickets greatest comebacks to secure South Africa's first series win in Australia since readmission?
Nowhere near comparable I'm afraid. Steyn doesn't have the swagger, let alone the style. I don't like to insult the longevity of some memories, but if Dale Steyn is cool then it's a sad day for cricket.

And whoever said something about Steyn's crazy eyes being the definitive never saw Allan Donald fire up after Mike Atherton refused to walk.

Steyn-shmayn.

Now, I appreciate a good fast bowler more than most and in my opinion Steyn does not warrant comparison with Marshall. Nor Ambrose. Nor many others. It's not about "let's see how he's going in 5 years", he just simply isn't as good.

Plus he was a bag of ****e for Essex. Utterly abysmal. (avg. 59.85)

Last edited:

harsh.ag

It was mitch johnson back then, not Mitchell Johnson.

And South Africa were 8/250 in the first innings against Aussies' 390 odd. Where did the greatest comeback thing come from??

harsh.ag

Nowhere near comparable I'm afraid. Steyn doesn't have the swagger, let alone the style. I don't like to insult the longevity of some memories, but if Dale Steyn is cool then it's a sad day for cricket.

And whoever said something about Steyn's crazy eyes being the definitive never saw Allan Donald fire up after Mike Atherton refused to walk.

Steyn-shmayn.

Now, I appreciate a good fast bowler more than most and in my opinion Steyn does not warrant comparison with Marshall. Nor Ambrose. Nor many others. It's not about "let's see how he's going in 5 years", he just simply isn't as good.

Plus he was a bag of ****e for Essex. Utterly abysmal. (avg. 59.85)
He did that so you ****s wouldn't change his passport overnight and keep him.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

And South Africa were 8/250 in the first innings against Aussies' 390 odd. Where did the greatest comeback thing come from??
It was 184/7 at one stage. Over 200 runs behind with 3 wickets left? Best comeback since Kolkata imo.

Flem274*

123/5
The more Heef puts down Steyn the more I love Steyn, and I already love Steyn a lot.

Besides, Malcolm Marshall shares a surname with Hamish, James and Xavier. Laaame.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

You mean the guy who got 8 fer the match before, broke Graeme Smith hand twice in a couple of months, drew blood from Kallis and won cricketer of the year at the ICC awards?

200 runs behind when the seventh wicket fell is a pretty awesome comeback given Australia, albeit it without many of their past greats, were still unbeaten at home for about 18 years.

harsh.ag

You mean the guy who got 8 fer the match before, broke Graeme Smith hand twice in a couple of months, drew blood from Kallis and won cricketer of the year at the ICC awards?

200 runs behind when the seventh wicket fell is a pretty awesome comeback given Australia, albeit it without many of their past greats, were still unbeaten at home for about 18 years.
Dude, I love Steyn. Not downing him. Just downing the greatest comeback thing when SA was just 140 off the pace and there was still an innings to go for each side. Dale would have bowled them out for 150 had he not gotten that 76 :laugh:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Dude, I love Steyn. Not downing him. Just downing the greatest comeback thing when SA was just 140 off the pace and there was still an innings to go for each side. Dale would have bowled them out for 150 had he not gotten that 76 :laugh:
I still think you're downplaying how big it was to win a series in Australia back then. Imagine how you'd feel if India went into a test in Australia 150 off the pace 8 down with a second test noob as the only recognised batsman and Mohammad Shami was coming to the crease.

harsh.ag

I still think you're downplaying how big it was to win a series in Australia back then. Imagine how you'd feel if India went into a test in Australia 150 off the pace 8 down with a second test noob as the only recognised batsman and Mohammad Shami was coming to the crease.
But we don't have a Steyn. But I know what you are saying. Great match. Great performance.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's funny how Steyn's poor record in and against England, who have probably been the 2nd best team of his era, isn't held against him. His record in Australia isn't particularly flash either.

Jizz all you want over his record in the SC, he's arguably failed the two biggest tests placed in front of him in his career.

watson

Banned
It's funny how Steyn's poor record in and against England, who have probably been the 2nd best team of his era, isn't held against him. His record in Australia isn't particularly flash either.

Jizz all you want over his record in the SC, he's arguably failed the two biggest tests placed in front of him in his career.
Steyn in England
Tests = 5
Wickets = 23
Ave = 32
SR = 55

Steyn in Australia
Tests = 6
Wickets = 30
Ave = 28
SR = 48

Marshall in England
Tests = 31
Wickets = 157
Ave = 20
SR = 42

Marshall in Australia
Tests = 10
Wickets = 45
Ave = 23
SR = 54

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah never mind England and Australia were mid table turds in the 80s.

Well they're still turds now really, just of a different sort.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn in England
Tests = 5
Wickets = 23
Ave = 32
SR = 55

Steyn in Australia
Tests = 6
Wickets = 30
Ave = 28
SR = 48

Marshall in England
Tests = 31
Wickets = 157
Ave = 20
SR = 42

Marshall in Australia
Tests = 10
Wickets = 45
Ave = 23
SR = 54

I just took all that time to make a long post about why comparing their records against England and Australia was stupid but you ignored it. :(