• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is englands worst spinner

WORST english international spinner from these

• batty

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • dawson

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • croft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J brown

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • min patel

• salisbury

• swann

• schofield

• giles

• tufnell

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, he hasn't performed worse than them - his figures have simply been worse.
So if he hasn't performed worse than them, pray tell how he has an average of 76.94 for 20 wickets in 15 Tests at an Eco of 3.7, which is worse than the other 2?

So he can spin it more, big deal.

I expect Neil could spin to more than eg Ashley Giles - does that mean he's a better player?

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
He has been the worst spinner you have ever seen play for England in your estimation.
In mine, Batty and Dawson bowled just as many half-trackers and Full-Tosses as Salisbury. And they spun it less. So in my estimation there is no disputing the winner\loser.
The worst performances by a spinner for England IMO has to be Salisbury. But that doesn't mean to say that I think that he is worse than Batty/Dawson/etc. in terms of their talent.
Its just that on what they have bowled for England (regardless of figures) I think that Salisbury has bowled the worst. I disagree that Batty/Dawson bowled as many half-trackers/full tosses. I believe that these 2 are/were extremely limited but they didn't gift runs away to the extent that Salisbury did .

Salisbury always deserved his chances on the big stage and its a shame that at international level he never showed just how well he can bowl.

P.S. sorry about the B******* word. No offence intended to anyone.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
If you wish to decide that there must be something good about a delivery because it had a wicket to it's name in the scorebook, that's also fine
Where or when did I ever pertain to that opinion?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
Where or when did I ever pertain to that opinion?
I said IF - I did not say "you do".
Plenty clearly do; whether you are among them only you know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
The worst performances by a spinner for England IMO has to be Salisbury. But that doesn't mean to say that I think that he is worse than Batty/Dawson/etc. in terms of their talent.
Its just that on what they have bowled for England (regardless of figures) I think that Salisbury has bowled the worst. I disagree that Batty/Dawson bowled as many half-trackers/full tosses. I believe that these 2 are/were extremely limited but they didn't gift runs away to the extent that Salisbury did .

Salisbury always deserved his chances on the big stage and its a shame that at international level he never showed just how well he can bowl.
The thread read "worst spinner".
That is a MOO and I won't even attempt to dispute yours.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So if he hasn't performed worse than them, pray tell how he has an average of 76.94 for 20 wickets in 15 Tests at an Eco of 3.7, which is worse than the other 2?

So he can spin it more, big deal.

I expect Neil could spin to more than eg Ashley Giles - does that mean he's a better player?
No, because from what Neil has insistently told us he is hopelessly wayward.
Salisbury can't be quite that bad.
I'll give you that his economy-rate is worse (didn't actually realise it was that bad!) and he has probably bowled more half-trackers but I still think Dawson and Batty are worse bowlers.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So did I.

For anyone interested, Essex just so happen to have a very promising young leggie by the name of Zoheb Sharif.:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So Sharif is a wristspinner, eh?
I always thought he was just some routine rubbish seamer.
Now his figures make more sense.
Still, Middlebrook is a better bowler ATM, surely.

Craig

World Traveller
halsey said:
So did I.

For anyone interested, Essex just so happen to have a very promising young leggie by the name of Zoheb Sharif.:D
Yes but if I lived in Essex, I would be a great medium pace bowler and a good batsman :D :lol: :saint: :P