• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some Australian and South African bowlers are real nutcases

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Having researched this further...

Aussie Kids TV exports to the UK:

Escape from Jupiter (1994)
Return to Jupiter (1996)
Blinky Bill
Chuck Finn (1999)
Heartbreak High
Halfway across the galaxy and turn left
Johnson and Friends (1990) - was brilliant for a 4 year old :)

"Children's pre school series about a group of toys living in a young boys bedroom, the boy was called Michael and the toys were Johnson the elephant, McDuff the Concertina, Robot Squeaky and dump truck Diesel"

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
Ocean Girl (1994-2000) - 104 episodes (!!)
Pig's breakfast (1998)
See how they run (1999) - was reasonable - so only got one series. Was UK/Aus.
Ship to Shore (1993)
The Wayne Manifesto (1996)
The worst day of my life (1991/2)

... and one about a Chip Shop, which I can't remember. Help us out here?
Now I realise where my life went betweenv ages of 4-8, think I watched most of those. Especially Half Way Across The Galaxy And Turn Left.....:O

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think showing emotion is am important part of the game and a little bit of spice and niggle is great to see and entertaining.

The stuff with williams and ganguly was great today.
Williams looks funny enough when hes acting normal, let alone when throwing a fit like he did today.
Hilarious stuff.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Andre said:
And if you think this problem is exclusive to Australia and South Africa, your are as nuts as they are :rolleyes:
yes, well Mr Maddocks the point is that when an Australian bowler indulges in those sorts of antics...he invariably gets off scot free.

Now if Shoiab Akhtar or Saurav Ganguly did what Mcgrath did to Sarwan, all hell would have broken loose.

Shoaib gets banned for verbal abuse....fine, but why doesn't the same standard apply to Glenn Mcgrath or Andre Nel ?

You want to have rules in place -- apply them fairly otherwise don't bother with them at all.

thierry henry

International Coach
Totally agree about Ganguly Richard, it's bizarre that so many people just can't rate him, after 9000 ODI runs at 43, with 22 centuries.

As far as Brad Williams goes, I wasn't so much offended as amused by his celebrations, because the guy is such a goose. He looks like a fat 50 year old women running around in drag pretending to be an international cricketer, either that or Brett Lee's ******** older brother. It's unfortunate for him, but he must be the most unco-ordinated looking international fast bowler I've seen for a while.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said in the VB Series thread, I don't really mind watching a bowler getting fired up.

But Williams really looks like an idiot, I thought his reaction after he got the Zimbabwe tail-ender out at Sydney was hilarious & also ridiculous.

Williams is not the only one who does it, but he's probably one of the worst i've seen.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of NZ bowlers, Dion Nash used to get really fired up, although he didn't really look stupid, he just got really pumped up. Occassionally he made a few stupid reactions after taking a wicket.

I've seen Craig McMillan over-celebrate before needlessly.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If for example Williams was bowling to a tail-ender, where they needed 2 runs to win off the last ball and he bowled him, then yeah why not celebrate..but when you've thrashed them by 80 odd runs, its not on.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Lee's send off of Shane Bond at the WACA in 2001 was good :lol: :lol:

You'd think he'd just bowled Sachin to win the world cup , he didnt get away with it that time though , copped a fine.

Glenn McGrath often went overboard a bit aswell , he got Sachin out at Melbourne in 1999 , which warrants a fair celebration , but he just stood there & started screaming things & pointing for a good 10 seconds , it was ridiculous.

Shoaib was the best wicket celebrations , dosent say a word , just the plane thing :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually I didn't think Brett Lee's sending off of Shane Bond was all that bad..they were having a battle & that was good.
Although I thought that Brett Lee continuously trying to bounce him was a waste of time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But with Brett Lee's current bowling form, Bondy would probably hit him for a couple of sixes! :D :lol:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
But with Brett Lee's current bowling form, Bondy would probably hit him for a couple of sixes! :D :lol:

atm, just about all the batting bunnies of the world would fancy their chances of tonking Lee.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
iamdavid said:
Shoaib was the best wicket celebrations , dosent say a word , just the plane thing :D
I like Ashley Giles celebration, but feel he needs to get a lot more practise at it!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I didn't see anything wrong with what Wiallims did. He just acted in the spur of the moment. And obvioulsy bowlers will celebrate and show emotion when they get a batter out. So there is nothing worng with that...it actually adds to the entertainment when there is a battle going on between the batter and the bowler. Only thing is players should not get carried away and resort to something like mcgrath vs Sarwan which was bad...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
The best get back of all time is Ganguly waving his shirt when India beat England in the Natwest in 2002. It was payback for Flintoff's antics when India lost the OD series to England in India.
I watched both instances live and I felt outraged at the cheek of Flintoff - England had just drawn an ODI series against a weak team. English or not I quite loved the raw emotion Saurav showed on that occasion at Lord's, particularly remembering how he kicked the turf in frustration at Mumbai, after India, for the third time in the series, lost a game they should have won, twice with the turning-points extremely fortunate (Hollioake running Tendulkar out at the bowler's end, Ganguly getting the back of his bat to a sweep and dragging a ball onto leg from outside leg).
It was immidiately clear why he had waved his shirt and I thought "good for you Saurav". He had every right to, though he did receive criticism in India from some quarters.
That match was a quite unbelievable occasion, and Ganguly himself hitting Flintoff all over the park was yet another chapter in their private war.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Out of NZ bowlers, Dion Nash used to get really fired up, although he didn't really look stupid, he just got really pumped up. Occassionally he made a few stupid reactions after taking a wicket.
I always had a great deal of time for Dion Nash.
With the horrific injuries he had he just about had a right to celebrate every delivery he bowled. Just like Angus Fraser.
He used to get a bit excited every time, but I have long felt the old "one rule for one..." saying is very, very true as far as Australians, and to an extent South Africans, is concerned.
To be fair, Nel isn't as bad as some, he usually just stands and stares (and this series he's backed it up with wickets so he hasn't looked like an idiot) but when he does go OTT he has been punished.
Because it is accepted that "that's the way they play" McGrath and co. regularly get away with what they most certainly should not.
I am all for emotion, I love to see good batsmen and good bowlers celebrating their successes, but when you get players making a fool out of themselves with OTT celebrations (so far I agree with just about all of the assesments of what was and wasn't appropriate on this thread) that just annoys me.

I could almost have written this thread myself.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nantie 'wayward' Hayward is one of the most aggressive I have ever seen. But can sulk which is to the detriment of the team.

Steve Kirby is great entertainment value. Sledging from fine leg must be unique to him. But full marks for his effort he puts into the game.