• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twicket!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anyone ever heard about this?

Twicket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After a quick google search, this blog by John Popham turned up:

https://johnpopham.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/the-story-of-twicket/

Twicket (a portmanteau of Twitter and Cricket) was a village cricket match, streamed world-wide on the Internet on Easter Monday, 25 April 2011..

The spur was undoubtedly cricket, a passion of mine since childhood. The second wasrural broadband, even though I live in an urban area.... ...

... and my first question was whether Wray had a village cricket team. Her reply was that the village does not have a club as such, but it has an informal team which plays once or twice a year against “The Rest of the World” (actually a team made up of people from the surrounding villages), the next occasion being Easter Monday....

Over the next 24 hours, the idea started to take off.... One of these was BBC cricket commentator Alison Mitchell...

A number of media outlets picked it up, including Sarah Hartley in the Guardian’s Technology Blog and Sarah Marshall in journalism.co.uk... ...

I therefore contacted Bill Best of theCommunity Media Association who kindly circulated a request to all their members appealing for a community radio station to join us on the day and provide live commentary..

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
I remember Popham (or some guys he was in touch with because I got the info from his twitter) streamed the ICC divison 3 tournament in Estonia two years ago. There was just one static camere obviously but there was also a local commentator which was cool. They mentioned a few times how easy it actually was to set up live streaming.
Having seen that match I expected much more lower level cricket to be streamed from then on but it didnt work out that well I guess.