• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Books READ by cricketers?

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
This thread is not about books written by cricketers, or books about cricket as such.

I was wondering if anybody has heard anywhere which books (if any) successful captains and accomplished players have read and attributed some of their success to? Lately I have been doing a lot of reading on the topics of goal setting, leadership etc and find it really interesting.

Thanks

Howe_zat

Audio File
Stuart MacGill read 24 novels on a tour of Pakistan. Cricinfo describes this fact as 'played down'.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ed Cowan reads a lot. He liked Peter Roebuck and Ed Smith's Dairy books. He thought they were a refreshing change from the usual cricketing books which were getting "samey".

stumpski

International Captain
Ed Cowan reads a lot. He liked Peter Roebuck and Ed Smith's Dairy books. He thought they were a refreshing change from the usual cricketing books which were getting "samey".
They have rather milked that topic now though, tbf.

You don't often hear about cricketers reading cricket books, and I suspect most that they do are recent autobiographies, Hard to believe that modern players bother with Arlott, Cardus, Frith etc although you sometimes hear one citing Brearley's Art of Captaincy.

stumpski

International Captain
Alec Stewart owns every edition of Wisden for his playing career (1981-2003). His mother told me that!