• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielders & Catchers

FRAZ

International Captain
HERE IS The ranking of best fielding sides of the world .
1. Newzealand
2. South Africa
3. Australia
4. Srilanka
5. England
6. Zimbabwe
7. India
8. Bangladesh
9. Windies
10. Pakistan ..
The recent series which Pakistan lost was due to fielding .Thats it .
Correct if wrong about the rankings .....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have Zimbabwe in the top 5 at least...they're definately one of the better fielding sides.

Its hard to gauge how well NZ are fielding when I haven't seen South Africa recently...but some of the fielding against Pakistan was exceptional..and we're going to get a good comparison in 2 or 3 weeks anyway between NZ & S.A.

Australia were the best fielding side up until recently..but they've made some horrendous errors in the field & have probably fallen back into the pack.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:

Australia were the best fielding side up until recently..but they've made some horrendous errors in the field & have probably fallen back into the pack.

1 off series, its picked up again with the ODI's anyway so i wouldn't really say Australia has fallen back

iamdavid

International Debutant
age_master said:
1 off series, its picked up again with the ODI's anyway so i wouldn't really say Australia has fallen back
I would.

Its been on the decline ever since the series against Pakistan in Sharjah late in 2002 , coincidentally Mark Waugh's last series.

The absense of Waugh & Warne , Australia's long time 1st & 2nd slip combo has been a factor.
Hayden has filled in admirably at first slip , but that takes away the sides best gully feildsman.

Second slip has been the problem , with Ponting , Martyn , Langer , Katich & even Stuart MacGill juggled around there at various times , for only limited success.

Martyn has been woeful , but one must ask what on Earth is he doing in the cordon , he's been a cover point feildsman the greater part of his life & he's very good there , but he's woeful in the slips.
Ponting is the best option at second slip , but even he let a few crucial ones slip against India , and like Hayden he is valued in other positions.

The ground feilding (with the exception of Stuart MacGill ;) ) has been up to scrath , but you just cant afford to drop as many chances as the aussies have over the last 16 months.

For Sri Lanka Im hoping the cordon is -
1st slip : Warne
2nd slip : Lehmann
3rd slip: Langer / Clarke if he somehow gets in the side
floating slip/gully : Ponting (he's been very good there in the past)
gully : Hayden

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Ashish Nehra
Dale Carnell (Pete will understand)
That is true insult to Ashish Nehra to be mentioned in the same sentence. :O

He was THE worst fielder I have ever seen. First and only time I have wished that someone wasn't going out to field. I ended up having to cover whole of leg-side when he was square leg and i was deep midwicket. :!(

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Has everyone forgotten Mohammed Sami on this list i personally think hes a fantastic ground fielder and very athletic 2.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
FRAZ said:
HERE IS The ranking of best fielding sides of the world .
1. Newzealand
2. South Africa
3. Australia
4. Srilanka
5. England
6. Zimbabwe
7. India
8. Bangladesh
9. Windies
10. Pakistan ..
The recent series which Pakistan lost was due to fielding .Thats it .
Correct if wrong about the rankings .....
Zimbabwe should be ranked much more highly. And the WI should be dead last.

Clarke would be wasted at third slip. He's one of the quicker guys, he fields well and has a bullet arm.

But yes, he'd be lucky to make the tour, I agree.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Are the Windies really that bad ? I haven't seen them for a while so I can't comment.

India's catching is pretty good but they need to work on their ground fielding a lot more.

Craig

World Traveller
Why does Michael Bevan field in the deep for?

He has a poor throwing arm.

I guess you can say the only good thing about Cricket Max as it made New Zealanders playing it (and the odd overseas player like Craig White, Aravinda de Silva, Ben Smith etc.) improve their fielding greatly.

He's a boundary rider because he's so quick. It's something Ponting used to do with Hogg as well, but he brought him back in to the in field because he's so agile and a brilliant fielder. Bevan's not really, so he's most effective cutting off boundaries.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jamesryfler said:
Are the Windies really that bad ? I haven't seen them for a while so I can't comment.

India's catching is pretty good but they need to work on their ground fielding a lot more.
Our catching is pretty bad, except for Lara and Jacobs.

The ground fielding isn't as bad as it used to be, but sheer weight of dropped catches means that we're pretty bad right now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Clarke will be lucky to make the tour IMO.
Maybe he'd be lucky to make the Test-match leg of the tour, but not the ODIs.
He's almost a banker for that, barring injury.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Why does Michael Bevan field in the deep for?

He has a poor throwing arm.

I guess you can say the only good thing about Cricket Max as it made New Zealanders playing it (and the odd overseas player like Craig White, Aravinda de Silva, Ben Smith etc.) improve their fielding greatly.
The only way they can improve their fielding is if they try.
A competition can only encourage it.