• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Pietersen

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've heard a lot about this guy the tremendous talent and potential he got. And i must admit his stats do make a case for him. I've never seen him play but those who did do you guys think he will live up to his billing or will he be another Greame Hick (even though he wasn't bad in the internation arena he definately under-achieved)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
When a player averages more than 50 at FC level, there is huge expectation that they'll be able to do the same at test level. If Pietersen can do it, he'll be an excitement machine for sure...Chris Cairns who played for Notts said he's a good talent, and great to watch.

I think Peter Fulton may also suffer the same problem here in New Zealand.

Andre

International Regular
Put simply - he's a gun.

I've no doubts he will succeed and be a massive acquisition to the English squad.

Funnily enough, he's played against England for Kwa-Zulu-Natal with success in 1999.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
He's good in ICC 2002 :P He's an opener for my England team and has 10,200 Test runs at 52 and 191 catches as well... and he's only 31! If he turns out to be anything like that in real life he will be a huge boost to England's lineup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'll reserve judgement till he enters the International arena - just hope he doesn't get built up too much by the media.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's obvious the guy is amazingly talented, he just keeps averaging 50+ a season and scoring at around 70-80 runs per 100 balls through a season! Although I doubt he'll do that at International level, I'm pretty sure he's going to be a very useful player. If he doesn't do well I'll be surprised, but don't compare him with Hick. Hick had a few flaws but mainly it was all in his mind, he lacked confidence and he's not a strong character, but with Pietersen it's more likely to be over-confidence, two entirely different problems.

V Reddy

International Debutant
He seems to be a player like Sehwag from what i have read of him. Attacking batsman, off spinner, overconfidense,etc,. Must be exciting to watch him bat

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO Pietersen is a huge talent, and the fact that the media and selectors have been forced to wait to pick him is a massive blessing.
I still think he may have to learn a bit before being an international success, but if he fails to average 40+ in Tests I'll be very disappointed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adamc said:
He's good in ICC 2002 :P He's an opener for my England team and has 10,200 Test runs at 52 and 191 catches as well... and he's only 31! If he turns out to be anything like that in real life he will be a huge boost to England's lineup.
How did he manage to score that many runs and take that many catches in that few years at that low an average?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How did he manage to score that many runs and take that many catches in that few years at that low an average?
Clearly you don't believe me. I am playing on Playstation so I can't give you screenshots, but anyway, his current record is: 32 years old, 215 innings, 14 not outs, 10,316 runs (average 51.32), 194 catches. He has been playing Tests for 11 years (21-32) at 12 Tests a year, minus injuries. As for the catches, he fields at first slip, and ICC2002 is hugely biased towards slips catches.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
IMO Pietersen is a huge talent, and the fact that the media and selectors have been forced to wait to pick him is a massive blessing.
I still think he may have to learn a bit before being an international success, but if he fails to average 40+ in Tests I'll be very disappointed.
I rarely agree witn you but on this occasion I do.

The fact the England selectors have not been able to rush him into the test team preamaturely (like they do) is a bonus.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Technically solid , mentally alot tougher than Hick ever was , superb attitude & extremely fit & strong.
Certainly capable of attacking , but he is yet to be subjected to any real pressure & thus his patience hasnt been tested.
I see no reason why he shouldnt be a huge succes.
But lets just wait & see , rather than talking him up before he's faced a ball at the top level.

I'd almost bet my house he'll do well in ODI's , his feilding is good , his bowling handy , his batting explosive.
But I still want to see him do it against a decent attack , he's never really had pressure being applied from both ends in FC cricket , thus he's never had to wait & eek out his runs , like he will have to do against certain attacks at the top level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish people would talk less about "pressure" and more about simply facing accurate bowling.
Because facing accurate bowling doesn't make every batsman feel under pressure - just the poor ones.
I did mention that I too think Pietersen may have a bit to learn about discretion before he's a Test success but the great thing is, he's got a good domestic one-day record as well as a good First-Class one, something plenty are sadly lacking ATM (Shah, Solanki, Troughton, Smith). This suggests that ODIs, the form he's likely to be picked for first, will probably be a success too.
I have a nasty feeling Pietersen may play a few Tests, find his style of play not yet suited, and then we'll get all the "you can't trust county cricket" rubbish again. He does seem to score too quickly at times.
Hopefully it won't take too long for him to learn some discretion.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
I really wish people would talk less about "pressure" and more about simply facing accurate bowling.
You know what I meant , he hasnt been tested by accurate bowling & thus hasnt had to grind it out , he doesnt seem awfully comfortable letting balls go either.

I have a nasty feeling Pietersen may play a few Tests, find his style of play not yet suited, and then we'll get all the "you can't trust county cricket" rubbish again. He does seem to score too quickly at times.
Hopefully it won't take too long for him to learn some discretion.
Agree completely

BTW here's Kevin Pieterson's record for me on ICC :D

Attachments

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
The fact the England selectors have not been able to rush him into the test team preamaturely (like they do)
Like they do?

I wouldn't say they've done that to anyone in a long time (with the exception of Anderson)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Like they do?

I wouldn't say they've done that to anyone in a long time (with the exception of Anderson)
Anderson, Dawson, Foster, Clarke, all examples of selection of players before they'd even played two decent seasons.
OK, Dawson and Foster shouldn't even have been selected at all, but they were both selected off short careers.
They're not anywhere near as bad as the Pakistani and Sri Lankan selectors, but even if they manage to resist it, the call often comes out to follow the lead of the subcontinentals. People seriously think that picking players with little (or no) domestic experience is a good thing.
But yes, there is more of a problem with mislead selection (ie the "you can't trust county cricket" argument) than with premature picks.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JAN/048641_ENG_19JAN2004.html

Interesting piece this. Does anyone know of the incident that this link pertains to?
I think that Notts have a very strong case and so its highly likely that KP will end up in a team he is desperate not to play for. Will this affect his run scoring? Assuming he is selected and not benched for upsetting the applecart.

Does anyone know if he had similar expeiences in South Africa?

Unproven until he plays international cricket IMO as the step up is large, both in terms of the mental and technical side. But has a very impressive domestic record so more likely than most to succeed I would imagine. Can never be certain though.

Last edited: