• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Associates to get a chance to play tests

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is a bit of a cop out - I don't see why this is limited to the winners of the Intercontinental cup and why there then has to be a potentially tedious series of four matches - why can't Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, or even Sri Lanka, WI or NZ, all of whom have been known to whinge about not getting enough Test cricket, have to play one or two one off Tests a year against the higher ranked associates?
I'm not sure we whinge about the amount of Test cricket we play against minnows. In fact, quite the opposite. Our issue is the amount of 2-Test series' we play, predominantly.

uvelocity

International Coach
i really hope a young associate player gets a test now, then the country doesnt play for 20 years, and the once young player gets a second test then - and really ****s up your longevity calculations

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i really hope a young associate player gets a test now, then the country doesnt play for 20 years, and the once young player gets a second test then - and really ****s up your longevity calculations
Haha actually my longevity calculations would handle that just fine.

Main problem would be that associates who ever played the worst full member would have inflated team stats; they'd be over-rated by the system and the standardised averages wouldn't do what they're meant to.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
BS to be honest. There is nothing on granting the test status and will be an extension of once useful but now sadly meaningless Intercontinental trophy (granting test status vise).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Main problem would be that associates who ever played the worst full member would have inflated team stats; they'd be over-rated by the system and the standardised averages wouldn't do what they're meant to.
And you just know that the most h4x of them all will be c00ps.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Unusual wording "will play two five-day first-class matches at home and two five-day first-class matches away against the winner of the upcoming Intercontinental Cup". That to me doesn't sound like they are going to be playing official test matches, Does anyone have another link where it clearly states the matches will be given Test status?

Anyway, I'll believe this when I see it - wouldn't be surprised to see a change of plans from the ICC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The quotes from the Cricket Ireland CEO in this article suggest:

1. It's a play-off. If they win (not sure how 'win' would defined as such) they'll have Test status until the completion of the next I-Cup where they will be another play off.
2. If the 10th placed Test team loses the play off then it'll be expected to play in the I-Cup as well as honour any bilateral agreements to play Tests that already existed, plus any others it makes I suppose as it'll retain Test status.

The original cricinfo article explicitly stated that the "play off" would have Test status although they seem to have removed that now.