Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 10 overs in 50 overs

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    But if a Murali had to bowl more than 10 overs it would lead to more interesting cricket, because batsman wouldn't be able to play him out in ODI's and just look to attack the 5th bowler (which leads to the dead middle overs in odi's when the spinner comes on) they would be forced to take him on as well, and as a result either more runs or more wickets. m ore excitement either way.

Twelve overs though isn't a bad idea for 4 or even just any two of the bowlers.
    Not everyone used to play him out, I remember him going for 99 off 10 in an ODI in Australia, and I seem to recall Vettori being offered even more respect than Murali gained.

The middle overs are the dead wood in ODIs, and I don't see that the 5th bowler is the issue given it's quite likely any attacking of him would be done through the middle too, given he wouldn't open the bowling, bowl in powerplays or at the death.

12 overs, as I said, doesn't sound bad to me but I don't think it would breathe life into ODI cricket, or even change it much at all. Until they find a way to play it in 3 hrs, it's on a downward spiral of relevancy (and if some countries continue to insist on painful 7-match series')

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokomotiv View Post
    Cricket could become a Baseball-like sport .
    And we don't want that., eh Loko?

htis is a good idea. i will give the a OP a tentative +1.
    You take my pawn, I take your rook. You take my bishop, I take your queen. You take my knight, I buy Mayfair. Because while you were busy playing chess, I've been playing Monopoly the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    And we don't want that., eh Loko?
    Of course we do not. Professional Baseball is crazy--6 games in a week! So there is rotation of starting pitchers, and there are closers.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Can't pitchers in baseball throw 4 balls intentionally? (I've heard of it happening but never actually seen it occur in a game)
    Monk likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Can't pitchers in baseball throw 4 balls intentionally? (I've heard of it happening but never actually seen it occur in a game)
    Baseball Pitchers can do that, because there is no wide-ball in Baseball.
    Intentional 4-ball tactic is not so rare, particularly in the games in which there is no DH.
    This is a video of 5 intentional 4-balls in a row in Japan's High School Baseball national tournament. The Batter is Matui (Matsui), Japan's Baseball legend.

Oh come on
    Daemon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    When I saw the OP I hoped Loko might be questioning why it is that in a limited overs match no bowler can deliver more than 20% of the overs, a rule that hasn't changed since 1964, and which I think is well worthy of debate. Instead he has come up with what I think is his silliest idea yet, and that's quite an achievement in the face of some stiff competition

Indeed, I would argue the very opposite of his point.. Allowing bowlers bowl more than 10 in ODIs..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Oh come on
    gets me every time

I have a question. Is the 20% limitation rule in ODI applied to other limited-over games, such as T20 or YB40?
    When I attended a YB40 game, the length of the game was reduced to 29 overs due to rain. In that case, the same 20% limitation applies?

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I have a question. Is the 20% limitation rule in ODI applied to other limited-over games, such as T20 or YB40?
    When I attended a YB40 game, the length of the game was reduced to 29 overs due to rain. In that case, the same 20% limitation applies?
    Yeah it still does. In games where the overs aren't divisible by 5 they usually allow one or two bowlers to bowl an extra over each.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yeah it still does. In games where the overs aren't divisible by 5 they usually allow one or two bowlers to bowl an extra over each.
    What do you think about other way of limitation; like "when a bowler bowled 1 over, that bowler cannot bowl next 3 overs"?

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    What do you think about other way of limitation; like "when a bowler bowled 1 over, that bowler cannot bowl next 3 overs"?

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    One of the nicest things I've seen in a ODI was Geoffrey Boycott being smashed all over the pack by Viv Richards and Collis King in the 1979 World Cup Final. So I kinda like having the 5th bowler option.

Not really excited by field restrictions though as I reckon the Captain should be free to employ any tactics he wishes. The only reason we have fielding restrictions in the first place is that Mike Brearley decided to stick 10 fielders on the fence during a 1980/81 Day-Nighter when Colin Croft had to hit 4 off the last ball to win the match. So what, and good on him. I like such eccentric things happening as it's one of the reasons why I watch cricket in the first place.

Strip all the rules back back to their most original and purest form, cut the beaurocratic red-tape, and let the captains and players use their imaginations to win the game I say.
    Last edited by watson; 05-03-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information