Page 2 of 481 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree567Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

If I were South Africa I'd just not pick a spinner in home conditions.

Philander is still very good, I don't think Kallis retiring will hurt his bowling much.
    hendrix likes this.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Banned
    It'll be interesting to see what kind of wickets they give us. I very much doubt South Africa will have the gall to give us a green track. It'll make for a very interesting series. Warner's the X factor IMO. Otherwise the teams are pretty similar - good pace bowling attack, Australia have a better spinner(wow, feels good to say that) and a fair few shaky batsmen - Bailey/Number 6 and Watson for Australia and Peterson/Duminy for South Africa. If Warner comes off SA will be really sweating to keep up; if he doesn't they're definitely a better batting side although it must be said their batting isn't what it was with the great man gone.

DDP
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    If I were South Africa I'd just not pick a spinner in home conditions.

Philander is still very good, I don't think Kallis retiring will hurt his bowling much.
    Yeah I'd go with this - tell Duminy to be prepared to send down a fair share though

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    SA "experts" seem to be convinced that he will be replaced by De Kock with ABDV handing over the gloves and moving to 4

This would be consistent with the Saffers extremely conservative attitude but leave them a bowler "short"

Will be interesting to see how the protected Philander and rubbish RP go without having Kallis to pick up the slack on a good batting pitch
    Interesting. Being a bowler short could cause SA some problems, especially if the spinner gets targeted. Kallis would often come on to bowl ridiculously early so bowling the opening quicks when they don't want to, or normally bowl could be good for us. In saying that, I'm sure many of the lads on here are keen for de Kock.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Hopefully the pitches will be very sporting so we can see an exciting contest from both teams. I think it will be 2-1 to either side. Clarke has a fantastic record against SA so expecting him to perform and Harris and Johnson no doubt along with SA Philander and Steyn will be the best bowlers. I wonder if De Kock will make his test debut? not a fan of De Villiers keeping.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    SA "experts" seem to be convinced that he will be replaced by De Kock with ABDV handing over the gloves and moving to 4

This would be consistent with the Saffers extremely conservative attitude but leave them a bowler "short"

Will be interesting to see how the protected Philander and rubbish RP go without having Kallis to pick up the slack on a good batting pitch
    I'd really like to know who these "experts" are that you are referring to? I hope its not Darryl Cuillinan from Match Point? He's most probably the biggest **** in Saffer cricket with the most ridicule directed at him from the Saffer public.

QdK might be added to the squad but won't get a game. He'll be their just to soak up the experience and culture. He'll most probably get a debut in the following Zim or WI series. QdK is not even the front line keeper for his franchise and his glove work sucks. He most probably needs to spend quality time with Boucher to up his WK game. About 30-40 % of Saf bowler dismissals are WK related and ABdV highlighted this when he got the man of the series award backed by his glove work.

The first test is at Centurion...the home of SA cricket. The pitch will be bouncy with lateral and seam movement and pace galore. SA will field an all pace attack with JP the holding spinner. Team will most probably be:

1. Smith
    2. Peterson
    3. Amla
    4. Faf
    5. ABdV
    6. JP
    7. Elgar
    8. Vern
    9. Abbot
    10. Steyn
    11. Morkel

St Georges + Newlands will be more spin receptive. I expect Abbot to make way for Robbie P. Abbot is no mug with the bat and is on par with Vern's batting skill's. Which ever way SA do go, they will look to have a long tail to negate the chances of Aus getting 20 wickets.

noofers really loves de kock
    Jakester1288 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    probably all of that, but id put hughes at 6 and have d00lander in the sheds. north surely warrants selection as a reserve and im always in favour of a reserve keeper.

wouldnt shock me for rhino to retire after this test either
    I want to see at least another season of heavy scoring by Hughes before I would pick him again. Failed too many times at test level for my liking.

Shield doesn't start till the same day as the first test. Really ****ty timing. No one outside the squad will have played FC cricket since the start of the BBL. Taking a young bat for experience would be nice but would also rob them of cricket.

State Vice-Captain
    Last time Kallis was injured, he was replaced by a bowler. I expect (and hope) the same this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Unomaas View Post
    I'd really like to know who these "experts" are that you are referring to? I hope its not Darryl Cuillinan from Match Point? He's most probably the biggest **** in Saffer cricket with the most ridicule directed at him from the Saffer public.

QdK might be added to the squad but won't get a game. He'll be their just to soak up the experience and culture. He'll most probably get a debut in the following Zim or WI series. QdK is not even the front line keeper for his franchise and his glove work sucks. He most probably needs to spend quality time with Boucher to up his WK game. About 30-40 % of Saf bowler dismissals are WK related and ABdV highlighted this when he got the man of the series award backed by his glove work.

The first test is at Centurion...the home of SA cricket. The pitch will be bouncy with lateral and seam movement and pace galore. SA will field an all pace attack with JP the holding spinner. Team will most probably be:

1. Smith
    2. Peterson
    3. Amla
    4. Faf
    5. ABdV
    6. JP
    7. Elgar
    8. Vern
    9. Abbot
    10. Steyn
    11. Morkel

St Georges + Newlands will be more spin receptive. I expect Abbot to make way for Robbie P. Abbot is no mug with the bat and is on par with Vern's batting skill's. Which ever way SA do go, they will look to have a long tail to negate the chances of Aus getting 20 wickets.
    Generally only use cricinfo for score updates as many articles are just BCCI propaganda

Source is SA and English rags

Anyway, 7 bats and bowlers is the way they will almost certainly go
    Last edited by social; 05-01-2014 at 12:20 AM.

If Australia are serious about winning in South Africa then they should consider this batting lineup:

1. Chris Rogers
    2. David Warner
    3. Simon Katich
    4. David Hussey
    5. Michael Clarke
    6. Shane Watson/Steve Smith
    7. Brad Haddin

All guys who are averaging at or above 50 in first class cricket (with the exception of Smith). Age is no barrier. Other reserves would include Phil Hughes. I know North is averaging 100 this season, but class > form always and his long term FC average of 40 shows that he should not be playing tests. Hussey should have been a direct replacement for Symonds after he left cricket. Watson at 6 as he is not a test class higher order batsman.

Doolan is absolutely rubbish and should not ever play test cricket, ditto to Bailey. Blokes who average 35 at FC level should be deemed long term state cricket journeyman.
    NZTailender likes this.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Considering dropping Smith and picking Hussey is one of the worst ideas I've heard in months.
    Coronis and Shri like this.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    That post is so full of fail it's hilarious. I mean - David Hussey?
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I haven't watched either of them play shield cricket, but people were saying Rogers had no chance of success at Test cricket as well, so using that perfectly sound logic Hussey will do/would have done reasonably well in Tests.

Page 2 of 481 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information