Thread: Cardus, Thomson and Gaukrodger

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar

Cardus, Thomson and Gaukrodger

"I regarded him (or rather his name—which amounted to the same thing) with open derision. 'Gaukrodger!' I would murmur. And to this present time I have remained unshaken in the view that 'Gaukrodger' was a heathenish name for a cricketer; I am glad he never played for England." -- "The Essential Neville Cardus," p. 83

"...Gaukrodger of Worcestershire, whose odd name was a godsend for contemporary (and rather simple-minded) humorists." -- AA Thomson, "Cricket My Happiness," p. 106

Am I reading too much into this when I take it for evidence of the possibility that my favourite two cricket writers weren't chummy?
    Last edited by neville cardus; 28-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    "I regarded him (or rather his name—which amounted to the same thing) with open derision. 'Gaukrodger!' I would murmur. And to this present time I have remained unshaken in the view that 'Gaukrodger' was a heathenish name for a cricketer; I am glad he never played for England." -- "The Essential Neville Cardus," p. 83

"...Gaukrodger of Worcestershire, whose odd name was a godsend for contemporary (and rather simple-minded) humorists." -- AA Thomson, "Cricket My Happiness," p. 106

Am I reading too much into this when I take it for evidence of the possibility that my favourite two cricket writers weren't chummy?
    If we could find out how each felt about that Arlott favourite, Cunis, we might know for sure.

Thread Information