• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman after Lara and Sachin

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Lara and Sachin have no doubt been the top 2 batsmen of the last 10-12 years. Who do you think is the number 3 after them (current players for the future)

There are many players frm Dravid to Ponting to Hayden to Inzamam. I would choose Dravid.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting.

He is a better ODI batsman than Dravid and while Dravid is easly as consistant probably more than Ponting in test cricket Ponting make's more hundred's.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting and Dravid now, watch out for Graeme Smith though, he'll definitely be up there in the future.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Ponting and Dravid stand out currently, but if you are talking over the last 10-12 years it would be alot of retired players like both Waughs, Kirsten or Inzamam coming into the mentioning, or Stewart (leading run scorer in the 90s).

Of future players - I guess Hayden, Gilchrist, Smith have that start, but also players like Kallis, Gibbs, Vaughan deserve a mention.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Like I put in the Gibbs thread...

Lara
Tendulkar
Ponting
Dravid
--
Vaughan
Gibbs
Hayden
Gilchrist
Martyn
Richardson
Steve Waugh
Kirsten
Laxman
Jayawardene
Inzamam
Thorpe
Fleming
A Flower
--
Sarwan
Youhana
Jayasuriya
Atapattu
Trescothick
Butcher
G Smith
Ganguly
Habibul
Kallis

Three broad groupings as I'm not bothering with definite splits between the layers, and yeah, I've probably forgotten a lot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ponting, Dravid.

No-one else really for me (although Herschelle Gibbs is moving up on the rails) - and I cannot separate the two either.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
10-12, not 4-5...
by average over their careers - which as they have not had as much opportunity is all you can really judge them by.. what oportunities they have had.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Three broad groupings as I'm not bothering with definite splits between the layers, and yeah, I've probably forgotten a lot.
Once again Chanderpaul sneeks under the radar...

Also, why is Kallis in the 3rd grouping?? Surely he's better than Kirsten, Thorpe and Fleming at the very least.

deeps

International 12th Man
sachintendulkar said:
Steve Waugh
definately....these three batsman,lara tendulkar and swaugh,have been the "three kings" of internatinoal batting for the past decade or so...the pwc ratings rated these 3 very highly and above all others...... batting seems to have become very easy lately....with lots and lots of big scores being posted....lack of quality bowlers is probably the reason... hence hayden ponting etc are being made to look better than they actually are...i agree they are good,but they haven't been up against the calibre of bowling that these three have had to face over the years... waqar and wasim, ambrose and walsh etc are MUCH MUCH MUCH better bowlers than ne bowlers on display in world cricket atm, except for maybe a few rareities...

Eclipse

International Debutant
deeps said:
definately....these three batsman,lara tendulkar and swaugh,have been the "three kings" of internatinoal batting for the past decade or so...the pwc ratings rated these 3 very highly and above all others...... batting seems to have become very easy lately....with lots and lots of big scores being posted....lack of quality bowlers is probably the reason... hence hayden ponting etc are being made to look better than they actually are...i agree they are good,but they haven't been up against the calibre of bowling that these three have had to face over the years... waqar and wasim, ambrose and walsh etc are MUCH MUCH MUCH better bowlers than ne bowlers on display in world cricket atm, except for maybe a few rareities...
Ponting has been around for ages remember he started early and has faced Wasim, Waqar ambrose etc.. and done extremly well against them.

Ponting's stat's against Pakistan are very good he avrages around 75 and almost all of those run's have come against Pakistan attack's with Akram, Waqar, Shoaib etc..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Also, why is Kallis in the 3rd grouping?? Surely he's better than Kirsten, Thorpe and Fleming at the very least.
I wouldn't be so sure.

Kirsten and Thorpe are for me really good players, and but for Kallis' bowling would be ahead of hm IMO.

Fleming as a batsman I'd agree with, but Fleming as an All Rounder I wouldn't.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't be so sure.

Kirsten and Thorpe are for me really good players, and but for Kallis' bowling would be ahead of hm IMO.
Yet Kallis is better in just about every offensive category?

deeps

International 12th Man
Eclipse said:
Ponting has been around for ages remember he started early and has faced Wasim, Waqar ambrose etc.. and done extremly well against them.

Ponting's stat's against Pakistan are very good he avrages around 75 and almost all of those run's have come against Pakistan attack's with Akram, Waqar, Shoaib etc..
i don't think ponting played them in their prime...waqar and wasim played in the last world cup...so ponting did play them...but they were no where near the bowlers they were before...walsh retired about 2 years back....nowhere near the bowler he was as well...i don't rate shoaib as highly as the other four at their primes...ponting made his test debut in 96...and he was in and out of the team...his first test against pakistan was in the 98/99 season...

76* 6 not out 1 D 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 1998/99 at Peshawar
43 6 lbw 3
0 6 lbw 2 W 1st Test v Pak in Aus 1999/00 at Brisbane
DNB - - 4
0 6 bowled 2 W 2nd Test v Pak in Aus 1999/00 at Hobart
0 6 lbw 4
197 6 caught 2 W 3rd Test v Pak in Aus 1999/00 at Perth
141 3 caught 1 W 1st Test v Pak in SL 2002/03 at Colombo
7 3 bowled 3
44 3 lbw 2 W 2nd Test v Pak in UAE 2002/03 at Sharjah
150 3 bowled 1 W 3rd Test v Pak in UAE 2002/03 at Sharjah

not that the big scores came in 02/03 where there was no wasim...and a waqar who was well past his prime,yet still managed 4 wickets...

now we take a look at the windies,his first test against them is 96/97

88 3 caught 1 W 1st Test v WI in Aus 1996/97 at Brisbane
9 3 caught wk 3
9 3 caught 1 W 2nd Test v WI in Aus 1996/97 at Sydney
4 3 caught wk 3
104 6 caught 1 L 3rd Test v WI in WI 1998/99 at Bridgetown
22 7 caught 3
21 6 lbw 1 W 4th Test v WI in WI 1998/99 at St John's
21* 6 not out 3
20 7 caught wk 2 W 1st Test v WI in Aus 2000/01 at Brisbane
5 7 bowled 2 W 2nd Test v WI in Aus 2000/01 at Perth [1520]
92 6 caught wk 2 W 3rd Test v WI in Aus 2000/01 at Adelaide
11 5 lbw 4
23 6 caught 1 W 4th Test v WI in Aus 2000/01 at Melbourne
26* 7 not out 3
51 6 lbw 2 W 5th Test v WI in Aus 2000/01 at Sydney
14* 6 not out 4
117 3 caught 2 W 1st Test v WI in WI 2002/03 at Georgetown
42* 3 not out 4
206 3 stumped 1 W 2nd Test v WI in WI 2002/03 at Port of Spain
45 3 caught wk 3
113 3 run out 1 W 3rd Test v WI in WI 2002/03 at Bridgetown
DNB - -

nothing super impressive against walsh and ambrose who were also well past their prime...a smattering of good scores, and lots of nothings...