• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What ever happened to?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just a shame there weren't a few more like that - then his Test average would be a better reflection of his ability.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I was thinking about an Indian named Vinod Kambli or something like that....I heard he was touted as a new tendulkar a few years ago...whatever happened to him?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Just a shame there weren't a few more like that - then his Test average would be a better reflection of his ability.
I rated him. Is this another case of: "He's a fingerspinner, therefore he is crap."?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
I rated him. Is this another case of: "He's a fingerspinner, therefore he is crap."?
Yep.:P
Tell me, how is it possible for fingerspinners to spin the ball sufficiently with their fingers to turn the ball on a "normal" (ie non-subcontient) wicket?
Because there are many, many fingerspinners who haven't. I would say there have been more than enough.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Yep.:P
Tell me, how is it possible for fingerspinners to spin the ball sufficiently with their fingers to turn the ball on a "normal" (ie non-subcontient) wicket?
Dunno. Ask Murali, Lance Gibbs, Saqlain...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Dunno. Ask Murali, Lance Gibbs, Saqlain...
Liam, you said about a stupid comment from me - how's that for one? Murali, a fingerspinner?!:lol: :lol: Get off with you!
Saqlain has proven throughout his career, as has his disciple Harbhajan, to be very, very effective on subcontinent-style wickets (even more so than conventional fingerspinners) but good batsmen have never had trouble with them in better batting conditions.
As for Lance Gibbs, totally different, as you know, because wicket conditions were different in most of his day, as they were uncovered. There were far more fingerspin-friendly wickets outside the subcontinent before 1970.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Spot the stupid comment.
All right - a better reflection of my interpretation of his ability.
Poor phraseology, just keep pointing it out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
Liam, you said about a stupid comment from me - how's that for one? Murali, a fingerspinner?!:lol: :lol: Get off with you!
Murali impart initial spin with his fingers. That makes him a finger spinner.

Craig

World Traveller
If so, then will you care to explain how is able to spin the ball on non turning wickets then?

Havent you seen him bowl lately? Last time I checked his wrist plays a big part in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Murali impart initial spin with his fingers. That makes him a finger spinner.
Every wristspinner uses their fingers initially.
But the fact that they also use their wrists makes them different from fingerspinners.
It means they spin the ball a hell of a lot more and hence are able to achieve turn in a bigger variety of conditions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
What's happened to Rajindra Dhanraj? His record is suberb (FC level)!

Also Roland Holder a(His record is excellent) and Anderson Cumming?
Rajindra Danraj was never given a proper run for the West Indies. He was IMO a better leggie than Ramnarine and clearly the WICB never heard of Shane Warne, so they dropped him after 4 Tests.

Roland Holder was one of the top 5 best batsmen in Windies domestic cricket over the decade of the 90's. He was very consistent and effective for Barbados but never really realized that talent for the senior side.

Andy Cummins is an amazing case. He was clearly a very good ODI player and potentially the same in Tests. Cummins was accurate and got some swing/movement and he could bat some too. His time was before my cricket-following times, so I'm not certain as to why he was discarded. The only logical reason I can think of is injury.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Brett Schulz -- what happened to him ? He looked circa 1993 like he had the makings of a great fast bowler in him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It actually happens quite a bit.
People are too quick to judge that a player has potential. Quite regularly, misjudgements are made.
And of course plenty of players make themselves look better than they are by bowling with unsustainable actions. You're not good if you keep getting injured through your own fault.