• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What now for Andy Bichel?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
After spending so much time supporting McGrath, Gillespie and Lee, Andy Bichel seems to have slipped down the pecking order with both Williams and Bracken (with no significant performances) being preferred to him.

Personally I think that the selectors have treated him shabbily and didn't give him the chance to take over the attack when the others were injured.

I just wonder now, that at his age, will he play Test cricket again?

krkode

State Captain
It's sad that he has turned into one of those one-hit-wonders thanks to his performance in the World Cup - he really doesn't deserve to be one of those.

I doubt he'll play Tests again, especially after McGrath comes back.

Given McGrath, Lee and Gillespie grab 3 spots on the team, the fourth will be hard battled for between soo many good bowlers. McGill will probably take the cake though, since he's one of their best spinners.

It's a tough life as an Aussie cricketer, I would imagine. :(

Good thing is they get a domestic scene which is as good as it gets. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope he doesn't play Test-cricket again, and not a moment too soon. He should have been discarded as substandard long ago.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
I hope he doesn't play Test-cricket again, and not a moment too soon. He should have been discarded as substandard long ago.
I hope he does play. If you want to find sub-standard you only need to look at Bracken and Williams...

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
If he could get in a side with our 2 best bowlers out, then he has no hope in hell of regaining his spot in the aussie team.
Too old, needed to prove himself worth in the previous tests.:cool2:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hero_Don said:
Too old, needed to prove himself worth in the previous tests.:cool2:
Too old at 33? Glenn McGrath is 34!!!

Hmmm, he's got a better record in both FC and Test cricket than the 2 players who are in his way. Doesn't that prove his worth?

krkode

State Captain
Rik said:
Too old at 33? Glenn McGrath is 34!!!
Don't brind McGrath into this. He's too good... :P

As for the two players in his way, Bichel's likely been set aside for those two in hopes of creating a stronger future side - one that doesn't have the likes of McGrath.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
Don't brind McGrath into this. He's too good... :P

As for the two players in his way, Bichel's likely been set aside for those two in hopes of creating a stronger future side - one that doesn't have the likes of McGrath.
I wouldn't be so sure Glenn is, he's been injured a long time and his last series wasn't even that good. He'll never become a poor bowler, but he might be loosing it a bit a la Wasim.

Bracken has gone for 60 without taking a wicket. He averages 40 with the ball in Tests. If Bichel doesn't get back in after this series then something is very wrong with these selectors.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:

Bracken has gone for 60 without taking a wicket. He averages 40 with the ball in Tests. If Bichel doesn't get back in after this series then something is very wrong with these selectors.
Bracken's problem is he cant swing the ball unless it's new and his pace is only 125-137.

He has got one thing going for him he is very accurate hence why he is a very good ODI bowler.

And an avrage of 40 with the ball in this series is quite good lol looking at bowling figures almost evryone is avraging higher than 35 with the ball only one player is avraging under 30.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
I wouldn't be so sure Glenn is, he's been injured a long time and his last series wasn't even that good. He'll never become a poor bowler, but he might be loosing it a bit a la Wasim.
He'll be bowling in hot conditions too in SL and in Ind next year and so i don't think he will continue to play much longer. It's time Aus look for a bowling lineup without Glenn and Shane.

Eclipse

International Debutant
A few monthes ago Glen McGrath said he would still like to play for another 4 years.

I think he can do that and can get back to his best as well.

He has never been fast so lack of pace is not going to trouble him in the future and let's face it he has a very very stress free action and apart from recently he has basicly had an injury free carear.

There is no reason why he cant get back to his best IMO it's not like he is a "fast" bowler who need's pace all he need's is 130-135kph.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
And an avrage of 40 with the ball in this series is quite good lol looking at bowling figures almost evryone is avraging higher than 35 with the ball only one player is avraging under 30.
Yet how many times have you and other Aussies criticised English bowlers for averaging 40 in a high scoring series...