Cricket Player Manager
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By schearzie
  • 1 Post By Prince EWS

Thread: Ashley Noffke, wasted potential?

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain karan316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,010

    Ashley Noffke, wasted potential?

    I have seen quite a bit of footage of him, looked very talented and at one point of time even Andy Bichel had suggested that he should have been selected for the Aussie team, not sure about the reason why he was being ignored after the 2 T20s and single ODI he played. Can anyone throw some light?

    Ashley Noffke | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by karan316; 20-11-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

  2. #2
    State Vice-Captain schearzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Isla de Muerta
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    I have seen quite a bit of footage of him, looked very talented and at one point of time even Andy Bichel had suggested that he should have been selected for the Aussie team, not sure about the reason why he was ignored. Can anyone throw some light?

    Ashley Noffke | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
    Didn't come from NSW.
    karan316 likes this.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Gayle 2. Warner 3.Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6.DeVilliers 7. De Kock+ 8. Vettori 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

  3. #3
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    63*
    Posts
    11,826
    The problem with Noffke was inconsistency. IIRC he had a fairly extended period of time where his performances were pretty mediocre.

    He also had alleged personality problems and also was in a side with fairly established and strong seam bowling depth.
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,315
    Domestic bully.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp


  5. #5
    State Vice-Captain karan316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    The problem with Noffke was inconsistency. IIRC he had a fairly extended period of time where his performances were pretty mediocre.

    He also had alleged personality problems and also was in a side with fairly established and strong seam bowling depth.
    Wasn't he diagnosed with some kind of cancer? M not sure if it were a rumor or it was actually true.

  6. #6
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    played against ashley noffke a couple of weeks ago
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  7. #7
    International Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    6,685
    He had one or two really good seasons iirc, but as Morgieb said he was never really in the top range of domestic players throughout his career, it was hard for him to break into the side at his peak too
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,868
    Yeah he had that massive season with the bat and the ball, though IIRC it was around the same time McDonald was doing roughly the same and they went with him instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,262
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Yeah he had that massive season with the bat and the ball, though IIRC it was around the same time McDonald was doing roughly the same and they went with him instead.
    Nah, Noffke mania was really the couple of seasons immediately prior to the season McDonald made his debut. I think Noffke may have even been injured then; he was a big fan of injury after moving to WA.

    Noffke was never quite good enough as a specialist bowler to make the side, particularly given the riches available to Australia at the time, but after he hit his low point and spend a season out of the Queensland side he worked a bit harder on his batting, scored lots of grade runs and came back a genuine allrounder batting in the middle order. With more confidence in his game in general came more wickets for a little while there he was IMO undoubtedly amongst the best eleven cricketers in Australia.

    A couple of things held him back at that point. Firstly he was never that much of a limited overs cricketer - he was a length-bowling seamer who needed that bit of movement each way that he didn't get on the plum OD batting decks and a boundary-reliant lower middle strokemaker who struggled to manouvre the ball for singles or indeed get a long enough bat to make an impression in OD cricket - and this made it hard to get into the ODI setup where a lot of fringe players were given an opportunity as a Test match audition. Secondly was his attitude. He actually was taken on a tour of the West Indies at the height of his powers in 2008 and was really close to playing in the Test side as an allrounder, but when he didn't get selected he had a bit of a strop about it which didn't endear him to the rest of the side.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 20-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    karan316 likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  10. #10
    State Vice-Captain karan316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Nah, Noffke mania was really the couple of seasons immediately prior to the season McDonald made his debut. I think Noffke may have even been injured then; he was a big fan of injury after moving to WA.

    Noffke was never quite good enough as a specialist bowler to make the side, particularly given the riches available to Australia at the time, but after he hit his low point and spend a season out of the Queensland side he worked a bit harder on his batting, scored lots of grade runs and came back a genuine allrounder batting in the middle order. With more confidence in his game in general came more wickets for a little while there he was IMO undoubtedly amongst the best eleven cricketers in Australia.

    A couple of things held him back at that point. Firstly he was never that much of a limited overs cricketer - he was a length-bowling seamer who needed that bit of movement each way that he didn't get on the plum OD batting decks and a boundary-reliant lower middle strokemaker who struggled to manouvre the ball for singles or indeed get a long enough bat to make an impression in OD cricket - and this made it hard to get into the ODI setup where a lot of fringe players were given an opportunity as a Test match audition. Secondly was his attitude. He actually was taken on a tour of the West Indies at the height of his powers in 2008 and was really close to playing in the Test side as an allrounder, but when he didn't get selected he had a bit of a strop about it which didn't endear him to the rest of the side.
    His attitude issues might have been a big reason for him being ignored. He did allright in the 2 T20s and 1 ODI he played and then he just vanished.
    Last edited by karan316; 20-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.

  11. #11
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,333
    His domestic bowling record doesn't look that good. Poles at 29.41 and runs at 26?

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,262
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    His domestic bowling record doesn't look that good. Poles at 29.41 and runs at 26?
    Yeah; it's just that he managed to put both together for a few seasons.


    2006/07: 273 runs @ 23; 30 wickets @ 24
    2007/08: 686 runs @ 46; 43 wickets @ 21

    Think he did well with the ball the following season too but he didn't play as many games due to injury. He was probably never quite good enough as a specialist bowler, but when he was at the top of his game with the ball he was also batting in the middle order for Queensland and hitting tons. The 2007/08 season was particularly crazy really; he was certainly one of the best eleven cricketers in the country at that point.

  13. #13
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,333
    Ah right yeah 07/08 is an unbelievable year. Like Chris Woakes in the Sheffield Shield, which is obviously even more impressive.

  14. #14
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    34,075
    didnt he somehow get onto the 2001 tour
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. saeed anwar wasted potential?
    By Indusriver in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-08-2011, 03:22 AM
  2. Mitchell Johnson or Ashley Noffke
    By Spinksy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
  3. I wasted my cricket talent
    By Mard in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-06-2008, 11:07 AM
  4. I wasted my cricket talent
    By Mard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-06-2008, 04:27 PM
  5. Ashley Noffke
    By Captain Cricket in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 25-01-2008, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •