Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Come on. Sharma is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Come on. Sharma is terrible.
    Which is why he averages nearly 60 in Ranji?

He has always had a mediocre record in domestic List A and should've probably been dropped from the ODI squad long ago, but he has held his own as an opener when all other Indian batsmen aside from Dhawan have failed (Vijay, Gambhir, Sehwag, Rahane). It's pretty obvious that Rohit isn't that composed and patient when chasing. He's always trying to play a shot that's not there to be played. At least as an opener, he's insulated from some of that pressure.

But it's not his fault if his opportunities are in the wrong format.
    Last edited by JontyPanesar; 12-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    I too feel that Rahane perhaps would be a better choice. To be honest, however ludicrous it may sound, I prefer Rohit in the team over both Dhawan and Murali Vijay.
    hendrix likes this.

I'd pick both Rohit and Rahane, and just dump Jadeja.
    hendrix likes this.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Banned
    interesting.......Imran writes an article on Sachin's retirement

Sachin Tendulkar's passion set him apart: Imran Khan - The Economic Times

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I'd pick both Rohit and Rahane, and just dump Jadeja.
    Yes, Jadeja should only be a horses for courses selection in tests, chosen to play in pitches that will aid playing 3 spinners..Rest of the matches should have both Rahane and Rohit..but with Kohli at 4 and them playing after Kohli..
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Yes, Jadeja should only be a horses for courses selection in tests, chosen to play in pitches that will aid playing 3 spinners..Rest of the matches should have both Rahane and Rohit..but with Kohli at 4 and them playing after Kohli..
    I'd be looking to play Jadeja whenever I wanted to play two spinners, even if he ended up at 8. Has more value than Ojha, Harbhajan or Mishra IMO.
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I was constructing an alternate reality where Tendulkar had not departed in the 96 wc semi, and India had gone on to become champions. He would have been a much happier man for all those years..

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Chennai 99 more tragic imo...

Just saw an interview of his with Arnab Goswami from about a year back where he was asked to name a few moments from his career. He named the 96 semifinal, the 2003 final, 2007 world cup, and finally the Chennai test. He seemed almost in tears just talking about it, quite depressing to watch
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Banned
    that Chennai 99 was such an awesome innings..........more painful to him would be the fact that the rest of the tail just folded within 3 runs or so

I am a huge Sachin fan but still have this question. We all know Sachin has a penchant for records though he denies to the outside world that he cares for records. So what if he gets injured in the first test? Will he still retire? Or will he play the SA series to complete 200 tests? Or will BCCI arrange another series at home cancelling the SA series if Sachin recovers soon?

I do believe he will still retire but was just thinking about this hypothetical scenario.

As I have seen, the records he seems to be passionate about are winning trophies, and scoring centuries. Hard to believe he was playing for the 200th test mark this whole time, although stranger things have been done by greater minds.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    I am a huge Sachin fan but still have this question. We all know Sachin has a penchant for records though he denies to the outside world that he cares for records. So what if he gets injured in the first test? Will he still retire? Or will he play the SA series to complete 200 tests? Or will BCCI arrange another series at home cancelling the SA series if Sachin recovers soon?

I do believe he will still retire but was just thinking about this hypothetical scenario.
    They'd just play him with an injury.
    CricAddict likes this.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    They'd just play him with an injury.
    Probably.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar View Post
    ? Rohit has an outstanding FC record and has deserved a call to the test squad for a while now. Idk how you define meaningful, but if you mean an improvement over the current version of Sachin, I'd say yes. Rohit's biggest bugaboo is scoreboard pressure, something he won't be facing in a test match. Now if you're saying that he won't even get half as many centuries as Sachin and won't enjoy nearly as much success, then sure. But then I'm not sure what point you're making
    Whenever it comes to Rohit Sharma, I always found it interested how people think someone who is unable to handle 'scoreboard pressure' of limited overs cricket is suitable to handle all the infinitely more difficult situations of test cricket.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information