• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee is Rubish!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
halsey said:
England took 85 off him in 8 overs in 2001...:P
I don't remember that, quite simply because England failed to win a single match in that OD series with Australia and Pakistan. All I remember is he went for 80odd against Pakistan at Sophia Gardens and Latif flat-batted him back over his head for 6!

I can't for the life of me remember 85 off 8 overs in 2001 or at any other time!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BRETT LEE - NATWEST SERIES 2001

Cardiff: 10-1-85-1 v Pakistan
Bristol: 10-1-55-2 v England
Nottingham: 10-1-41-2 v Pakistan
The Oval: 10-0-63-3 v England
Lord's: 8-1-20-2 v Pakistan

Total: 10 wickets @ 26.40 @ 5.50 Econ

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Right well that explains everything!

That 1-85 was in his comeback game. Set the tone for his summer really. It's a record number of runs conceeded by an Australian in Limited Overs Internationals.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
England took 85 off him in 8 overs in 2001...:P
2001 ODI's v England

10-1-55-2 at Bristol
10-0-63-3 at The Oval

2001 Tests v England

12-2-71-0 and 7-0-37-2 at Edgbaston
16-3-46-1 and 9-1-41-1 at Lord's
6.5-0-30-1 and 8-1-30-1 at Trent Bridge
22-3-103-2 and 16-4-65-0 at Headingley
14-1-43-0 and 10-3-30-1 at The Oval

(Watches amused as Halsey crashes in flames)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee's figures for the Aus/Ind test series:

100.5 overs, 8/476, avg. 59.5.

Make of it what you will.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Rik said:
Right well that explains everything!

That 1-85 was in his comeback game. Set the tone for his summer really. It's a record number of runs conceeded by an Australian in Limited Overs Internationals.
He was just as bad before his 'comeback'. His last ODI match before the 1/85 was against Zimbabwe. Zim. were chasing 303 to win, and Lee nearly handed it to them with 1/72 off 8 overs, but they fell just short, making 301.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
just to bring the english back down to earth

remember that 2nd VB series final?

5-30, not a bad effort as england went down - in their eternal efforts to try and beat Australia in an ODI again

or that first final when he took 3/29 when Australia only took 12 odd overs to chase them down (now that was really embarrasing)

than again he only averages 21.36 with the ball against England in ODI's...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Adamc said:
He was just as bad before his 'comeback'. His last ODI match before the 1/85 was against Zimbabwe. Zim. were chasing 303 to win, and Lee nearly handed it to them with 1/72 off 8 overs, but they fell just short, making 301.
That Zimbabwe match was the one he was injured in and his speed was down in the 120's because of the injury that's why he got hammerd.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
That Zimbabwe match was the one he was injured in and his speed was down in the 120's because of the injury that's why he got hammerd.
Oh ok, didn't realise. Personally I think he is a good one-day player as he can usually maintain his pace and accuracy for 10 overs. Unfortunately he loses it quite easily over five days.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
just to bring the english back down to earth

remember that 2nd VB series final?

5-30, not a bad effort as england went down - in their eternal efforts to try and beat Australia in an ODI again

or that first final when he took 3/29 when Australia only took 12 odd overs to chase them down (now that was really embarrasing)

than again he only averages 21.36 with the ball against England in ODI's...
I don't think that anyone has disputed the fact that Lee is (was) a force to be reckoned with in ODI's.

You really are clutching at straws to try and feel better, aren't you? Losing side of the draw in the test series against India at home, skipper retired, busted at rugby, dreadful news regarding the breweries maybe having to cut beer production because of a gas shortage, Lee rubbish - now how can we feel good again? Oh yes. A bit of pommie-bashing'll do it.

(just kidding)

(just kidding about that 'just kidding' line):D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, I actually caught myself feeling sorry for Lee after Dravid and Tendulkar had completed his pasting.
Astonished when I realised what I was thinking.
Doesn't mean I won't still relish him being hammered next time it happens, but just at a particular moment I felt sorry for him.
You've got to, really. Someone totally out of his depth.
Just like poor Blessing.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:

You really are clutching at straws to try and feel better, aren't you? Losing side of the draw in the test series against India at home, skipper retired, busted at rugby, dreadful news regarding the breweries maybe having to cut beer production because of a gas shortage, Lee rubbish - now how can we feel good again? Oh yes. A bit of pommie-bashing'll do it.

What a good idea!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin came back and bashed a huge unbeaten ton against Kenya just after his father had died if I remember correctly. I don't think I'm the only person here who thinks Lee has been on a downward spiral for a long time now, and I doubt it will stop any time soon. It's not pace you need, accuracy has to come into it too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What Lee (and Australian fans) need to realise is sheer pace is not good enough against quality opposition. Bowling at 150 km isn't going to intimidate the best of the best. Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman have proved that on this tour.

Line and length, that's what counts and that's how you get the best batsman. Brad Williams' wicket of Sachin in the 2nd innings of the 3rd test match in Melbourne was much more convincing then Bret Lee's wicket of Sachin in the 1st innings.

Intimidation is not working anymore, it's time for another strategy.