• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah so? They thrashed Pakistan in the final

Doesn't change the fact they be heavy favourites against NZ in a series and a very good chance against Pakistan and South Africa in them too

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Doesn't change the fact they be heavy favourites against NZ in a series and a very good chance against Pakistan and South Africa in them too
Only in hindsight though. The team looks very strong on paper now, but in that WC, they weren't actually playing that well for most of the tournament.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude.. they HAD to beat RSA who looked the best side in the world at that time in ODIs in order make it to the semis.. I was there and watched the full WC and nobody, no expert thought they were favorites against those 3 sides. NZ, with Geoff Allott taking wickets for fun, looked strong in those conditions, Pak and RSA just looked plain better as an ODI side. Hindsight does not change the fact that they had to play out of their skins to even make the semis and it took an almighty choke from RSA for them to make the finals.

mr_mister

I watched the entire thing too pal. Steve Waugh was scoring runs for fun and that semi final was half choke half Warne master class. Every other game was either hotly contested or an Australian domination

mr_mister

This is my point, made earlier. In the regards to the statement we couldn't beat the other semi finalists in a series. Don't be daft

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
in a series in those conditions.. I dont think the 87 India or Pak side could have beaten Australia in Australia either. You are the one being daft. My post had enough clarity to not miss what I meant.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fine. I think in English conditions I would have backed the other sides to beat that Australian side just like the 87 side. You have to remember a lot of them became very good POST that tourney.

Jade's

Cricket Spectator
Fine. I think in English conditions I would have backed the other sides to beat that Australian side just like the 87 side. You have to remember a lot of them became very good POST that tourney.
You have to remember that if your aunty had balls she would be your uncle. Aussies were the best side no doubt in 1999 but they werent as dominant as 2003 and 2007 and 2015

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno man. The 87 Australian side had Marsh, Boon, Jones, Border, S Waugh in it. They were all pretty handy players in English conditions.

stephen

The 1999 side had the strongest competition though. Nearly every side had a strong bowling attack and the were some cracking batsmen going around as well.

I mean look at that South African side. They were incredible.

The 2007 were way better than every other side of their time but bowling stocks worldwide (excluding Australia) were at their worst at that point. Tait and McGrath totally rekt all in their way. And Australia's batting was brutal. Hayden was in peak ODI form. The way he took Pollock apart in his first spell was obscene (Pollock was rated #1 in ODI cricket at the time). Then there was Ponting, Gilchrist and Hussey (who barely got a bat).

The 2003 side was nowhere near as dominant, particularly early on. Symonds was yet to arrive (but boy when he arrived he did so with a bang).

I'd rate the teams 2007 > 1999 > 2003 > 1987 > 2015 (though Starc would have lead the attack in any of the other sides).