• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was that MCG pitch in 2010 a greentop or did Australia just bat abysmally when there was a touch of assistance in the first session? England then galloped to 200 for no loss or something before the end of the day's play IIRC.

The Hobart pitch against SA in 2016 was a better example of a greentop.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was that MCG pitch in 2010 a greentop
I dunno if I'd go that far (it's usually been so far from a greentop that such a claim would be unthinkable) but it was definitely much much greener than usual, to the point where there were lots of theories after the series about the usually wet Australian summer being the reason England won the series.

Daemon

Well the actual reasons he's given are pure garbage. "doubts over the pink ball" --> what more proof do you need? The exact same game at the exact same venue has happened twice already and the ball was fine.
They want evidence of how it behaves sans light sandpaper work

Borges

International Regular
Got any sources for this?
There have been a large number of reports in the news papers about this over the last few months. Things like these:

"On January 11 this year, Sutherland wrote an email to the BCCI – accessed by TOI – proposing the Day & Night Test in Adelaide when India tour Down Under later in 2018.
The BCCI CEO Rahul Johri replied to Sutherland on the same day categorically stating that India would not participate in any form of Test cricket except “red-ball day matches”.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ests-four-months-ago/articleshow/64037140.cms
I was posting from memory, so I got the date wrong on that one: It was on January 11 and not 31.

"Kohli's doesn't want to rush into playing D/N Tests
The BCCI is keen on hosting a D/N Test to boost fans' interest in the 5-day format of the game.
But the players and the team management do not want to rush into playing D/N Tests since they haven't tested Kookaburra pink ball yet.
The CoA chief Rai had also raised the same concern that cricketers should be consulted before the schedule is fixed."
https://www.newsbytesapp.com/timeli...ohli-wants-pink-ball-exposure-before-d-n-test

Borges

International Regular
Having never played a pink ball test before I guess they just didn't want the first to be against Australia, who've played 3? already.
They don't want to play "pink ball" cricket against anyone right now; not even against the West Indies at home.

"Despite the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) initially planning to host a day-night Test this year against West Indies after consulting chief coach Ravi Shastri, the board's office-bearers were informed by the SC-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) that there can be no day-night Test matches against the West Indies or Australia. This is because the Indian head coach has told the CoA that the team needs 12 to 18 months to prepare for pink-ball cricket."
https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...g-day-night-tests-surprises-bcci-1738857.html.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I don't get the CA fans disgruntled with the BCCI position on this. The 1970's are over, Cricket Australia is no longer the biggest market on the cricket planet.

Either CA will agree to tour SA or NZ over Boxing Day and New Year one day, or not seriously complain about about BCCI dictating the conditional terms of their tours ithat they want to earn Indian rupees from.

Right of might and inequality is inequality. Does CA want cricketing nations to be equals, or do they want to favour negotiation power? Consistency and principled positions please. I still remember CA voting in favour of the Big 3 before Tim May saw what was what.

Either full member ICC cricketing nations are not equal, or they are all equal. If they're not equal, only one nation has over 1 billion people and the largest pay tv subscribing middle class. So if Australia wants to dictate terms to SA and NZ, CA fans should get used to BCCI doing the same to them.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I edited the grammar, but thanks for the initial support of my position *****.

Cricket Australia and more especially their fans' inconsistencies are a bugbear of mine. They either want to remain the top dog of ICC, or complain about BCCI. To take the position of both is often mutually exclusive in principle as far as I logically think.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Haha this happened to me earlier in another thread, to the point where I disagreed with your edit and had to retract my like.
I noticed that, Which edit did you disagree with? I was intrigued as I respect your opinion. And I never changed my sentiment. I merely clarified. Which would mean you disagreed with my incorrect grammar. Which upsets me more tbh as I was initially and always 6/7 in agreement with you. I just wouldn't bet the house on CdG just yet.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't get the CA fans disgruntled with the BCCI position on this. The 1970's are over, Cricket Australia is no longer the biggest market on the cricket planet.

Either BCCI will agree to tour SA or NZ over Boxing Day and New Year one day, or not seriously complain about about BCCI dictating the conditional terms of their tours ithat they want to earn Indian rupees from.

Right of might and inequality is inequality. Does CA want cricketing nations to be equals, or do they want to favour negotiation power? Consistency and principled positions please. I still remember CA voting in favour of the Big 3 before Tim May saw what was what.

Either full member ICC cricketing nations are not equal, or they are all equal. If they're not equal, only one nation has over 1 billion people and the largest pay tv subscribing middle class. So if Australia wants to dictate terms to SA and NZ, CA fans should get used to BCCI doing the same to them.
The Kuggeliejn and Bennett stuff (which was entirely new) made me not want to endorse the post anymore. I still agreed with the rest of it, grammar and all. :p

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The Kuggeliejn and Bennett stuff (which was entirely new) made me not want to endorse the post anymore. I still agreed with the rest of it, grammar and all. :p
Fair enough - but they smashed it in Ireland last year and keep turning up in domestic. :) I think its far too soon to count them out entirely.

Plus I really like Kuggeliejn despite his short pitch run leaking. But I understand that the odds of Bennett staying fit for a home summer and an away winter are way too remote for most logical thinkers. :P

Last edited:

Burgey

They don't want to play "pink ball" cricket against anyone right now; not even against the West Indies at home.

"Despite the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) initially planning to host a day-night Test this year against West Indies after consulting chief coach Ravi Shastri, the board's office-bearers were informed by the SC-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) that there can be no day-night Test matches against the West Indies or Australia. This is because the Indian head coach has told the CoA that the team needs 12 to 18 months to prepare for pink-ball cricket."
https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...g-day-night-tests-surprises-bcci-1738857.html.
Scared.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Maybe.

Bullying CA into submission, more likely.

Top Dog Awards 2018

BCCI 1 CA 0

BCCI will not respond to passive aggressive taunts. Proof: DRS and Champs Trophy 2018.

Either ICC nations collectively call the BCCI bluff or give up taunting them altogether. Kohli may have had a say and Dhoni before him, but the real issue for conformity is the weight of global opinion and outcomes. And right now, CA by itself vs BCCI don't mean jack.

For me as a NZC fan, it makes 0 difference to have BCCI or CA as a boss. A boss is a boss. I'm not racist, so an Indian or an Australian calling the shots makes no difference to me personally. I just want NZC to recognise who the true boss is instead of giving into everyone too freely when there is possibly the opportunity to pick a side between combatants for the position.

So the real question is, does CA want us, all ICC full member nations, all to be equals, or to have a boss of their own, because only ONE nation will be boss, and I'll tell you for free, without China playing cricket, that boss nation is India.

Last edited: