Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Australian Cricket’s Governance/Development/Expectations/Future

Remember 1984-1988/89? We were absolutely dire during that phase.

Then for the next 17 years we were dominant.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    I almost feel sorry for those poor souls who just went along with the hype and just bought tickets without thinking, but then I remember that by buying tickets they are therefore supporting the way Cricket Australia do things and then all my sympathy goes away.

They may have fooled a lot of people to get tickets but TV ratings are a different story.

Good for you Max if getting hammered is better than not watching at all but I don't really feel up to supporting a team where the people who run it main interests is not doing what's best for that team or trying their best to win games, but is their bottom line instead.
    See that's where I draw the line between Backlash's and everyday fans, most people simply want to see a test match and aren't too concerned about CA IMO, while I agree that CA is mismanaging the test team, even with their belated attempts to reform the SS, I just want to see the Aussie team play. BTW, I bought my tickets during the TB match, might have thought twice after Lords
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

hey old ****s, how was shield cricket generally last time we sucked?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Remember 1984-1988/89?
    You sure as hell don't.

School Boy/Girl Captain Backlash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Remember 1984-1988/89? We were absolutely dire during that phase.

Then for the next 17 years we were dominant.
    Things are more dire right now, not just on the field but off it as well. Spear us the 80's BS, Cricket was in a far better position to recover back in those days than it is now. Do yourself a favour and don't kid yourself otherwise.

Something tells me that history won't be repeating itself in anyway this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    See that's where I draw the line between Backlash's and everyday fans, most people simply want to see a test match and aren't too concerned about CA IMO, while I agree that CA is mismanaging the test team, even with their belated attempts to reform the SS, I just want to see the Aussie team play. BTW, I bought my tickets during the TB match, might have thought twice after Lords
    And that's why Cricket is finished in this country, because too many people are unwilling to do something about it. The football codes are going to destroy Cricket in the 21st century.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    hey old ****s, how was shield cricket generally last time we sucked?
    mate, you're an old ****
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

not watching a sport we love in some kind of ghandiesque non violent protest aint gonna happen lashy

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    mate, you're an old ****

above: riggins

Ponting attacks CA's lack of foresight

Ricky Ponting, the former Australia captain, has spoken of his shock at being told by the Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland that "no one ever spends money when they are going well", a statement emblematic of the complacency Ponting believes has contributed to the nation's slide from the top of the game.

Sutherland's words were uttered during a conversation at the 2011 SCG Ashes Test, which Australia lost by an innings to complete a 3-1 series defeat at home that hastened the Argus review and the departures of former coach Tim Nielsen, the chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch, the chief of cricket operations Michael Brown and Ponting himself as captain.

Don Argus' report into the Australian team's performance brought a host of new appointments and a changed management structure, but Ponting has maintained that many of these supposed innovations had been advocated for as much as a decade by himself and Nielsen's predecessor, John Buchanan. Ponting told ESPNcricinfo he was stunned at Sutherland's lack of foresight, and believed Buchanan had risked his job more than once while advocating change when the team were enjoying their years of plenty.

"When he said that it was like 'What? What are you talking about'," Ponting said while discussing his autobiography At the close of play. "I said then 'Tiger Woods has just won the US Open, he'll be on the driving range tomorrow morning trying to make his swing better for next year and putting all his time and effort to make it better because he knows he's not the same player and he'll need to do things differently to win again next year'."

"But there was no foresight at all into where we were going. Buck was always ridiculed for asking for things. He saw where the game was going to go, and all the stuff that came out with the Argus review was the stuff Buck was talking about 10 years ago, and he was shut down and almost pushed out of his job because of where he thought the game was going to go."

When asked whether or not Sutherland had been held accountable for the slip in the national team's fortunes, and those of the the supporting competitions beneath, Ponting said that while the CA balance sheet was strong, other areas had been either neglected or cut back in favour of stratagems like the Twenty20 Big Bash League. He advocated greater CA control over the goals of the states and the preparation of domestic pitches.

"Business-wise and the last couple years in particular you'd say CA has done a really good job with making the BBL the success they have and other things they've done," Ponting said. "But it's been at the detriment of something else. State cricket's funding and coaches that work with them. One thing I think they should do is CA should employ all the state coaches. Take it out of the state's hands altogether.

"CA should employ them, then they can have some sort of input into the wickets they produce and the teams they pick. Because what we've got now is Queensland winning their first five games at home every year on green wickets. Tassie, to keep up, do the same thing. SA did the same thing last year where they had seaming wickets and Chadd Sayers took 50 wickets on Adelaide Oval. Where's all the spinners?

"They've got to have some sort of control over it, otherwise as professionals coaches have to look after themselves. They have to keep themselves in a job, so it's all about winning which you can understand and it should be. But conditions around the country have got to get back to what they used to be, and each ground have the characteristics they had when I started, which was how you learned a more rounded game."

Another area Ponting believes CA became complacent was in assuming the next generation of young players would spring up to take the place of the previous generation, leading to the early dumping of Simon Katich. Ponting has written that this decision flabbergasted him, but it was not the only call that did so.

"My view on selection is you only ever make a change if it's going to make the team better," he said. "A lot of the changes we made didn't make the team better, and I don't care what anybody says. The coach (Tim Nielsen) going when he did didn't make the team better. I think a lot of the stuff that happened with the Argus review was premeditated stuff that was already in the pipeline and they put this panel together to justify it.

"My meeting around the Argus review lasted less than an hour. I was dressed in a suit, prepared, notes, I thought I was going to be there all day, thrash everything out for six hours, get my opinions and views on everything. But they asked me a few questions, asked me who was accountable, and I was out. I said to James 'I need to have a chat to you outside', we did and it was just like they didn't really want to hear it."

Australia Cricket News: Ponting attacks CA's lack of foresight | ESPN Cricinfo
    Yeah folks, keep telling yourselves its all just cyclical.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    golden summer is over. go home everybody
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Sutherland to stay even if Ashes lost 5-0

James Sutherland's 12-year-old tenure as chief executive of Cricket Australia is so secure that not even a 5-0 defeat to England at home in the forthcoming Ashes series would be enough to remove him, the CA chairman, Wally Edwards, has said.

Following an AGM in Melbourne, CA laid out a strong financial position, to the point that the game's governors have set up a future fund that will peak at $70 million in reserves. Edwards launched a fierce defence of his chief executive, with Sutherland himself rebuking Ricky Ponting's contention that the organisation lacked vision and ignored requests for greater forward thinking when the national team was strong.

Edwards confirmed that Sutherland was under contract until June 2015 following that year's World Cup, and that nothing would stop him from seeing out that term. "We want to see continued improvement," Edwards said. "If we lost the series 5-0, James Sutherland will still be the CEO of Australian cricket, and James is contracted through to June 2015 after the World Cup, and there will not be any changes in that situation, regardless of the way we perform on the field this summer.

"I don't know where the stories are coming from but they're not real in our world. I can reaffirm there is absolutely no discontent whatsoever with James' performance, and I'm bewildered where the story's come from, but you would understand that better than me. We're very confident where we're going. We have a solid plan and it's not just a plan for a quick fix, it's a plan for continued high performance of our men's and women's sides."

Sutherland defended his own position and that of the team performance manager Pat Howard, following comments by former coach Mickey Arthur that both men, alongside the captain Michael Clarke, would be under enormous pressure for their jobs should the Ashes be lost. But he saved his most pointed responses for Ponting's contention that CA had not responded to the requests of coaches and players to buttress the national team against coming storms when Australia was still the world's undisputed No.1.

"Over six years up to that time [2012] we grew from $39 million dollars to $75 million of investment in high performance and elite teams, which includes player payments," Sutherland said. "Take player payments out of that, $7 million grew to $9 million in and around the team. That is not the sign of an organisation that is failing to invest in high performance activities.

"Ricky Ponting had no budget responsibility, and he didn't have any sort of view as to what the budget was. He wouldn't know. There might be things along the way he is looking for. In that same period the number of staff with the Australian team doubled. I'm not getting into a tit for tat conversation about Ricky Ponting. We will have our own private conversations as we have, and we understand each other very well. We are on very good terms."

When questioned on what goals were set for the improvement of the national team over the coming summer, Sutherland said that while he was naturally intent on ensuring that the Ashes be regained, there was a bigger picture to be aware of. Edwards and Sutherland have overseen major governance reform in Australian cricket, while also attempting to ensure the game is as well placed as possible to fight for talent and support in what the chief executive regards as the world's most competitive sporting landscape.

"It's not just about the team," Sutherland said. "What I am responsible for and what the management of Australian cricket is responsible for, which includes the state and territory cricket associations, is the strategy for Australian cricket, and delivering on all of those things. We've got an increasingly complex business in a highly competitive market. There's no other country in the world that has as much competitiveness for sport entertainment and elite talent as what there is in Australia.

"Therefore our strategy and the delivery of that strategy is incredibly important. We can only achieve the potential for our sport if we have all the moving parts going in the same direction. That's why the unification process for Australian cricket that we are going through right now is so important.

"We are very confident that with Wally as chairman and him working closely with state boards, and me working closely with the management teams of state associations, that we're going in the right direction. And I include cricket performance as well. This is not just business speak. This is talking about state associations taking responsibility for the development of cricket, [so] that [they] are ready to play cricket for Australia and win cricket matches."

Australia Cricket News: James Sutherland to stay even if Ashes lost 5-0 | ESPN Cricinfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiFArINs9w
    They're just trolling Cricket fans at this point.

They don't care about winning games of Cricket or the true health of the game, all they care about is their bottom line.

I'd almost feel sorry for the folks for who bought tickets for this summer if they weren't such gullible fools.

Benaud's car crash is much bigger news tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    They're just trolling Cricket fans at this point.

They don't care about winning games of Cricket or the true health of the game, all they care about is their bottom line.

I'd almost feel sorry for the folks for who bought tickets for this summer if they weren't such gullible fools.
    i think we will win anyway, but surely you can kill sutherland or something

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    wait adelaide oval was a green top

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    wait adelaide oval was a green top
    I've only known delusional Indian fans to say things like that tbh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information