Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 89
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: England, Finals and the "C" word

  1. #16
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,252
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Yeah the crowd was largely Indian
    Indian fans you mean.
    Cabinet96 likes this.

  2. #17
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Indian fans you mean.
    This is a good point. A good friend of mine is British. About 3rd generation British, I think, but he's still a fervant India fan when it comes to cricket.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  3. #18
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,252
    Yep.

    There was a discussion about this in the Champions Trophy thread (i.e. booing of Ravi Bopara by the Indian fans, the Tebitt test etc.). Speaking from experience, if you're brought up in a household which supports India, it's incredibly unlikely that you'll cheer on another team. Just like you often (not always of course) follow your family's politics, religion, football team etc.

    Also for some its one of the few links to their heritage. And importantly, India are literally no good at any other sport that matters, so they'll likely (unless they're a hater for no reason) support their country of birth/citizenship in every other sport except cricket.
    Senile Sentry likes this.

  4. #19
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Indian fans you mean.
    Yeah true. Apologies if I caused any offence (except to you, I hope I did offend you)


  5. #20
    School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    125
    I was at the game. Actually at the start when all the player names were read out, every England player was booed except Bopara. But during the match Bopara was called a traitor and booed. People are entitled to support who they want, end off. It's a complex culture. India not being good at any other sports, well cricket is their national sport which they dominate. Do England dominate their national sport, far from it.

    Actually after having spoken to quite a few people, a lot will be supporting Australia in the ashes. Again, you are entitled to back who u want.

  6. #21
    International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    4,198
    That's all well and good but how does it justify booing Bopara, or calling him a traitor? Its not on.

  7. #22
    School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    That's all well and good but how does it justify booing Bopara, or calling him a traitor? Its not on.
    It's a difficult one. A lot of people I spoke to said by playing for England he is shunning India. But realistically could he play for India? No. Does he support India? Probably did and still does. I guess his own circumstances led him to play for England. Some Indian fans were saying he shouldn't play international cricket if he can't play for India.

    Whilst I agree with that statement (as I can only play for a country I passionately support) I don't agree with booing him. I am sure some of these guys would be playing for England if they were good enough and wouldn't turn them down.

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    It's a difficult one. A lot of people I spoke to said by playing for England he is shunning India. But realistically could he play for India? No. Does he support India? Probably did and still does. I guess his own circumstances led him to play for England. Some Indian fans were saying he shouldn't play international cricket if he can't play for India.

    Whilst I agree with that statement (as I can only play for a country I passionately support) I don't agree with booing him. I am sure some of these guys would be playing for England if they were good enough and wouldn't turn them down.
    Complete fail logic.
    centurymaker and Cabinet96 like this.

  9. #24
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    It's a difficult one. A lot of people I spoke to said by playing for England he is shunning India. But realistically could he play for India? No. Does he support India? Probably did and still does. I guess his own circumstances led him to play for England. Some Indian fans were saying he shouldn't play international cricket if he can't play for India.

    Whilst I agree with that statement (as I can only play for a country I passionately support) I don't agree with booing him. I am sure some of these guys would be playing for England if they were good enough and wouldn't turn them down.
    LOL, you are seriously making things up, aren't you?
    I have a mate here called Ish Sodhi and he's always supported New Zealand (over India) and soon may play for the black caps.
    No one's ever called him a traitor. He's always got encouragement from his family and friends! This is just one example.

    Seriously where have you come up with this? If there are people like that, then they are in a very small minority.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

  10. #25
    School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    LOL, you are seriously making things up, aren't you?
    I have a mate here called Ish Sodhi and he's always supported New Zealand (over India) and soon may play for the black caps.
    No one's ever called him a traitor. He's always got encouragement from his family and friends! This is just one example.

    Seriously where have you come up with this? If there are people like that, then they are in a very small minority.
    I am talking about British Asians/Indians not NZ lol. Any one who has grown up here or indeed been to any game, will know the majority of British Indians support India over England. So if you think Ravi Bopara was somehow different growing up then you don't know much about the culture. The booing is evidence of how strongly the crowd felt. It's not the first time either so I am shocked you are shocked. Sajid Mahmood got a hard time from Pak fans when representing England. It has happened before.

    What exact "minority" are you referring to? The number of British Indians who support India over England is a minority? That's clearly far from a minority. I have all sorts of British Indians on my facebook from many professions and a lot had written similar things about Bopara.

    Personally I couldn't care less. I am surprised he is playing for them though despite being an Indian fan.

  11. #26
    School Boy/Girl Captain Tendulkar_200*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Complete fail logic.
    Shunning his roots, aka coconut. I guess that is what the booing is for.

  12. #27
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    I was at the game. Actually at the start when all the player names were read out, every England player was booed except Bopara. But during the match Bopara was called a traitor and booed. People are entitled to support who they want, end off. It's a complex culture. India not being good at any other sports, well cricket is their national sport which they dominate. Do England dominate their national sport, far from it.

    Actually after having spoken to quite a few people, a lot will be supporting Australia in the ashes. Again, you are entitled to back who u want.
    I've had a long day but...did you just say that India dominate cricket?

  13. #28
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendulkar_200* View Post
    I am talking about British Asians/Indians not NZ lol. Any one who has grown up here or indeed been to any game, will know the majority of British Indians support India over England. So if you think Ravi Bopara was somehow different growing up then you don't know much about the culture. The booing is evidence of how strongly the crowd felt. It's not the first time either so I am shocked you are shocked. Sajid Mahmood got a hard time from Pak fans when representing England. It has happened before.

    What exact "minority" are you referring to? The number of British Indians who support India over England is a minority? That's clearly far from a minority. I have all sorts of British Indians on my facebook from many professions and a lot had written similar things about Bopara.

    Personally I couldn't care less. I am surprised he is playing for them though despite being an Indian fan.
    Your facebook is hardly the Cricketing census of England.

  14. #29
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    By minority I mean very small proportion of the British Indians probably are like that. Why would any British Indian be opposed to their son, relative's son, their friend etc playing for England. They'd only feel proud of that. Ones who say things like that are probably either bigots or just joking around.

    Boo'ing doesn't necessarily mean anything. 'Group mentality' can exaggerate anything. If few start boo'ing, the rest join in just instinctively in the spur of the moment. Doesn't mean ****.

  15. #30
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    I bet there are far greater number of British Indians who are proud that there is an B.Indian in the English team than people who are "unhappy" that he is playing for England

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 07:06 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21-09-2004, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •