Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DIY Backyard practice net

  1. #1
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18

    DIY Backyard practice net

    I'm looking into building my own cheapo backyard net to use a bowling machine in.

    At this stage I'm leaning toward PVC piping for the frame, around 3m high, 3m wide and 6 meters long.

    The real issue I'm running into is what kind of netting to use, real sports netting costs an absolute fortune, I got quoted around $500AUS for a 10mx10m net, and the only other kind of netting I can get my hands on farm netting to keep birds out, I've bought a small roll of it to do some testing but my hunch is it'll be too weak to withstand my brutal cover drives

    Also at this point I'm looking at the new bowling machines from the guys behind the Paceman bowling machine Paceman Strike & Pro Bowling Machines on Vimeo Hopefully it'll be $600 or less.

    Anybody does this before? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,701
    Assuming you're going to buy a small strip of astro, how much will it cost? Just curious as they kept telling us in school it would be way too expensive to replace our worn out pitches.

  3. #3
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18
    I can't afford to buy proper cricket astro, that stuff costs an absolute fortune. But I checked out Bunnings and they have something very very close, it's even the right length (9mm?), it comes in 3m wide strips for about 50~ a meter, so it's going to cost me around 200~ for what I want.

    EDIT,

    I should probably make myself more clear, I could afford to buy proper cricket astro and netting etc. but half the fun is building it on the cheap.
    Last edited by DeanWhipper; 10-06-2013 at 05:08 AM.

  4. #4
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,701
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWhipper View Post
    I can't afford to buy proper cricket astro, that stuff costs an absolute fortune. But I checked out Bunnings and they have something very very close, it's even the right length (9mm?), it comes in 3m wide strips for about 50~ a meter, so it's going to cost me around 200~ for what I want.

    EDIT,

    I should probably make myself more clear, I could afford to buy proper cricket astro and netting etc. but half the fun is building it on the cheap.
    Sounds like you'll be spending ~$1000-1200 on this. Not a bad investment at all imo, considering the ridiculous amounts some people spend on certain other gear, especially bats. Put pics up and stuff when you're done, sounds like it'd be fun putting the whole thing together. Wish I had a backyard and could do something similar


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,797
    You don't need special netting. Just use wire. More durable and cheaper.

    chain_link-fence.jpg

    Go to the local demolition yard if there's one near you.

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,823
    You'll also need to come up with backyard cricket rules. Ask PEWS on that, he's an expert.
    Monk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    You don't need special netting. Just use wire. More durable and cheaper.

    chain_link-fence.jpg

    Go to the local demolition yard if there's one near you.

    I thought about this option but some friends suggested it was really expensive stuff, got any idea how much it'll cost per meter? The netting I'm looking at would be 200 bucks tops.


    Also, yep 1000-1200 is exactly my budget on this project, I'll be sure to post up pics and maybe even some video once it's completed later this year, should be awesome.

  8. #8
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,374
    Fencing wire absolutely destroys practise balls, I'd try to get something else if you can.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  9. #9
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,804
    perhaps janelle jono's used fishnets would work
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  10. #10
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Fencing wire absolutely destroys practise balls, I'd try to get something else if you can.
    Ahh good call, I'm thinking if the bird netting I'm sourcing isn't strong enough I'll try getting 3 nets and layer them one over the other, it's unlikely the ball will be able to rip through all 3 layers.

    I've also thought about reinforcing the high impact areas (IE cover and midwicket) with something like shade cloth, or hell maybe just a sheet or something to deaden the impact.

    Thanks for the input

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Get ready for a broken ****ing arm.
    Posts
    4,496
    it doesn't really destroy bowling machine balls in my experience, which you seem to be going for. really ****s up leather ones though, yeah.

  12. #12
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18
    Well yeah I don't think any bowling machines use actual cricket balls, the fact that they arn't perfectly round would probably make them do really funny stuff off the pitch, and at 150kph you'd be in some trouble.

    One drawback of fence wire is that it would need a pretty tough frame to attach to, given how heavy it would be and all that. My PVC piping idea would probably not be able to hold the weight.

    One other cool thing I just thought of, wonder if you could put a slips cradle in the net and aim the bowling machine at it to give you catching practice, that would be pretty damn awesome. It would be even more awesome to practice keeping in.

  13. #13
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,797
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWhipper View Post
    One other cool thing I just thought of, wonder if you could put a slips cradle in the net and aim the bowling machine at it to give you catching practice, that would be pretty damn awesome. It would be even more awesome to practice keeping in.
    Have done this while drinking beers after training. Best done sober imo.

  14. #14
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,374
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWhipper View Post
    Well yeah I don't think any bowling machines use actual cricket balls, the fact that they arn't perfectly round would probably make them do really funny stuff off the pitch, and at 150kph you'd be in some trouble.

    One drawback of fence wire is that it would need a pretty tough frame to attach to, given how heavy it would be and all that. My PVC piping idea would probably not be able to hold the weight.

    One other cool thing I just thought of, wonder if you could put a slips cradle in the net and aim the bowling machine at it to give you catching practice, that would be pretty damn awesome. It would be even more awesome to practice keeping in.
    Hah, yeah, I think lots of international teams do that. If you can catch 160kph, you can catch anything!

    wire isn't nearly as bad on arti balls, true. Certainly doesn't extend their life though.

  15. #15
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    18
    Got a quote from a netmaker for a 10mx10m actual cricket net, $10 per square meter.

    Yeah, 1000 bucks for a net, what a joke.

    Looks like the bird netting will have to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. practice in the winter in the UK
    By pnesam07 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-06-2008, 12:38 PM
  2. practice
    By leedon in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
  3. Quick Question Regarding Journalism Practice
    By Flem274* in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 01:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-08-2005, 12:32 PM
  5. PAK V SA practice match
    By from_da_lost_di in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2004
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •