• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW All Time Country XI Discussion Thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Am I the only one who feels that the Pakistan can beat the English ATXI? :p
No, they very much can. Think that with that bowling attack they are capable of beating anyone even though their batting isn't up to the level of some of the other teams. Those four fast bowlers can bowl out any team. Really any of the top five teams could sping a surprise, W.I., Aus, S.A., Eng, Pak.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not so sure about that. O'Reilly and Grimmett played in an era when pitches weren't covered but were generally high quality in preparation. They succeeded well enough on those pitches and didn't need rain to be effective. Since them there's been Laker and Lock and McGill and Warne. Not many its true but I think the real reason for the dearth of double spin attacks is down to the fact that its rare any country having 2 top notch spinners at anyone time rather than the breed being ineffective in pairs.
I think that in the modern game the match winners has been not exclusively, but primarily the fast bolwers. Even when Australia had Warne and Macgill they only played them together on extremely spin friendly conditions and Macgill was very good. The just preferred for the most part to play three seamers.

Slifer

International Captain
no, they very much can. Think that with that bowling attack they are capable of beating anyone even though their batting isn't up to the level of some of the other teams. Those four fast bowlers can bowl out any team. really any of the top five teams could sping a surprise, w.i., aus, s.a., eng, pak.
awta.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
That being said though, would still place my money on a West Indies vs Australia final. Just too much quality in those two lineups. 10 out of the 11 players on each team makes one of my top four ATG XIs with most of them making the top two teams. Impressive.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think that in the modern game the match winners has been not exclusively, but primarily the fast bolwers. Even when Australia had Warne and Macgill they only played them together on extremely spin friendly conditions and Macgill was very good. The just preferred for the most part to play three seamers.
That's true though I'm not sure about saving them for spinning wkts as both (Warne and McGill) had good records on all pitches. I recall going through the records when the 2 played together and it was pretty impressive. Not as good as Scarlett and Tiger but not shabby in comparison. So I think they could have worked well together but you are right to say we preferred the 3rd seamer. Either way I have a suspicion that Ian Chappell prefers a 3/2 attack biased to seam. If you can get 2 all rounders in that lot then its worthwhile playing.

watson

Banned
It's strange because Larwood bowled 'Bodyline', Trueman was a 'loud-mouth', and Barnes was arrogant, but I just don't find the English attack intimidating in the same way that I find the Australian, West Indian, South African, or Pakistan attacks intimidating. In fact, Hadlee and Bond would scare me more than Larwood and Trueman if I were an opening batsman.

The English attack needs more 'mongrel' in it - but what to do?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
John Snow is the answer maybe. I don't know enough about Lohmann to comment on him.

Barnes can be the spinner, and you can select Trueman, Snow, Larwood and Barnes.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly, its probably not intentional, but you're biased towards the modern quicks, because you've actually seen them bowl. Personally, Larwood is pretty much the most intimidating bowler I could think of. Who in their right mind would want to open against Larwood and Trueman? Though Barnes would probably sulk if he didn't open the bowling :P

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
You know you read a lot of funny things on cricket forums. Like that I see now about intimidation. A lot of funny things.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's strange because Larwood bowled 'Bodyline', Trueman was a 'loud-mouth', and Barnes was arrogant, but I just don't find the English attack intimidating in the same way that I find the Australian, West Indian, South African, or Pakistan attacks intimidating. In fact, Hadlee and Bond would scare me more than Larwood and Trueman if I were an opening batsman.

Know what you mean. Trueman was quick, but by no means express, Barnes was medium at best and Botham was a true swing bowler. Only Larwood would be truely intimidating and he only really showed un in one series vs Australia. Actually Trueman didn't play that much outside of England and wasn't overly succesful, Barnes benefitted some from under prepared and particularily the South African matting pitches. Bothams peak was high but quite short and Laker definately boosted his numbers on sticky wickets. When taking a second look at the English attack, it may not quite match up to the other attacks among the top 5 teams.
Just my take on it though.
What redeems it somewhat is that Larwood even with the LBW rule that he played with for his entire career and the dead Aussie pitches he had to bowl on was still effective and would find modern conditions quite helpful.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

Somewhat agree with the above. The English attack does seem somewhat pansy-ish compared to the other ones. Of course these guys were taking wickets left right and center so they weren't exactly toothless but I suppose you wouldn't be using the English attack to get the opposition on the backfoot (literally speaking) I suppose.

Flem274*

123/5
are we seriously picking atg sides based on who was more manly and alpha?

this isn't an England ATG men i want to **** me side you know

watson

Banned
Never thought I'd read that Barnes Larwood and Trueman lacked intimidation. Never. Yep; you read some funny things.
Of course they don't. But relative to Australia, West Indies, South Africa, and Pakistan they do. Keep Up.

Smali said it best I think;

The English attack does seem somewhat pansy-ish compared to the other ones.

Last edited: