• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

Who is the best "Cricketer" ever

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers only bowled with the new ball in 38 innings (compared to 120 when he bowled first change or lower)
True, and Kallis only opened the bowling in 8 innings (out of 267). Sobers was opening during the late 60s mostly. Kallis' record in the innings he opened the bowling was fantastic - 8 Innings , 16 wickets, 23.93 average, 57.5 strike rate, and 1 5-fer. Pretty drastically better than his overall figures, though of course the small sample size is a niggle, and the fact that 11 of those wickets came in 3 tests against the Windies in at 15.54, sr of 37.2. Wish he had opened more often.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I rate Kallis pretty highly as a bowler. He's quite enjoyable to watch bowling.

the big bambino

International Captain
Sobers has same strike rate & wickets/match as Sami & Agarkar. Not to mention his career average was around 50 with 1.0 wickets per match (quite Salisburyish) in first 30 odd tests of his career when he bowled spin only after that he did bowl spin but very little.All my opinions are based on what I saw + stats.

Wickets per match :

Sami------->2.4
Agarkar------>2.3
Sobers------->2.5

Strike Rates :
Sami-------->88
Agarkar------>84
Sobers------->92

So what was Sobers really as a bowler? Most realistic & honest description would be a combination of Sami/Agarkar + Salisbury.
Mate I'm not buying your box of mouldy old cherries. The stat your looking for is bowling average.

H4G

Banned
Mate I'm not buying your box of mouldy old cherries. The stat your looking for is bowling average.
Averages are not only things in stats, other important variables also have to be considered.But if you want to consider average alone, I've explained in my previous posts on this forum that how Sobers was a pretty ordinary bowler based on his average alone.All these are undeniable facts about Sobers bowling,if you consider Sobers a supreme bowler then back it with some arguments which carry some weight too.

H4G

Banned
Its really interesting how people disregard a players abilities based on stats alone e.g Imran's batting but when it comes to their favorite cricketer e.g Sobers' bowling they come with stuff like "Stats are not everything" or "Stats don't matter".This is purely double standards.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
No one is bagging Imran. The only person trash talking is you about Sobers. Stats are important. There being a definite link btwn them and quality. But yeah they can be misused. Like when someone uses peripheral stats like SR and wkts/match out of context of the player's role, instead of the stat that shows real worth: His average.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Its really interesting how people disregard a players abilities based on stats alone e.g Imran's batting but when it comes to their favorite cricketer e.g Sobers' bowling they come with stuff like "Stats are not everything" or "Stats don't matter".This is purely double standards.
So if you were picking an ATG team, would you have Imran in the top 6?