Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Era of aggressive Test fields over - Dhoni

He was really really bad in England although his team made it hard for him to look anything else.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I remember UC that you were a big Dhoni fan early on as captain - say 2008-2010. Do you still have a strong opinion?
    Yeah I'm definitely still a fan. I think he's lost a bit of enthusiasm for the job since then. He used to try a lot of unorthodox things, maybe just to keep everyone interested. I think his psychological effect was more obvious back then too. Every time Kumble got injured and Dhoni took over, the entire team's performance would immediately lift. Huge improvements in the T20, ODI and Test sides all coincided exactly with Dhoni taking over.

I'm not sure he's as effective as he was then, but he's still good. I didn't really rate the Indian team for a lot of that time so I tend to think he's less at fault for the team's failures than he is responsible for their successes. Maybe he could have held it together better in England or Australia, but I don't think they had it in them to actually avoid defeat, and I can't imagine there's an India fan that would rather they only lost those series 2-0 and never made it to test number 1 and win a World Cup.

I was also an early critic of his keeping, especially to spin. That seems to really have taken off since.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Dhoni is a really good keeper for spin IMO. His stumping's are rapid at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah I'm definitely still a fan. I think he's lost a bit of enthusiasm for the job since then. He used to try a lot of unorthodox things, maybe just to keep everyone interested. I think his psychological effect was more obvious back then too. Every time Kumble got injured and Dhoni took over, the entire team's performance would immediately lift. Huge improvements in the T20, ODI and Test sides all coincided exactly with Dhoni taking over.

I'm not sure he's as effective as he was then, but he's still good. I didn't really rate the Indian team for a lot of that time so I tend to think he's less at fault for the team's failures than he is responsible for their successes. Maybe he could have held it together better in England or Australia, but I don't think they had it in them to actually avoid defeat, and I can't imagine there's an India fan that would rather they only lost those series 2-0 and never made it to test number 1 and win a World Cup.
    Yeah nice thoughts. Good stuff. I think you are interesting to ask because you are able to answer with complete objectivity.

My friends have had a go at me a lot for being emotional when I rage on Dhoni. Find it hard to play the devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Much better reasoning than you get from commentators too. Seems reasonable to me that it usually takes more risk to score four singles than it does to score a boundary, and you can see there's some thought going into what field each batsman least wants to see. I just find it more convincing than the assertion that he should let a batsman get four for his favourite shot because "send a message".
    Especially in the modern game, where everyone practices hitting boundaries more. The ball machine generation.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Also, he is only putting men out for batsmen that he knows like going for such shots.. When you got men close by for the nicks and bat pads AND men at the boundary so that your favorite get out of jail shot can only get you a single at the max, it might mess them up. As UC and others have pointed out, maybe the new batsmen will be more adept at playing against such fields and by that time, captains will again start thinking about aggressive fields.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information