• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Structure of Test Cricket

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
Should there be a re-structuring of Test cricket? Teams like Ireland, Afghanistan and Netherlands are all on the up, and they are knocking on the doors of Test teams in the ODI and T20 competitions. Surely they deserve a crack of the whip at Test level?

I would personally create a two tier system, where a team is relegated and promoted every 24 months, this would mean teams such as Bangladesh can no longer linger at the bottom of the Test rankings getting spanked by whoever is playing them every week.

What does everyone think about that suggestion?

I've written something similar to this but in a bit more detail, and if anyone is interested it's at TheSillyPoint

Cheers guys!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Should there be a re-structuring of Test cricket? Teams like Ireland, Afghanistan and Netherlands are all on the up, and they are knocking on the doors of Test teams in the ODI and T20 competitions. Surely they deserve a crack of the whip at Test level?

I would personally create a two tier system, where a team is relegated and promoted every 24 months, this would mean teams such as Bangladesh can no longer linger at the bottom of the Test rankings getting spanked by whoever is playing them every week.

What does everyone think about that suggestion?

I've written something similar to this but in a bit more detail, and if anyone is interested it's at TheSillyPoint

Cheers guys!

I've always thought this was a good idea, but the problem is that if England or Australia (for example) struggle for a period and get relegated, what happens to big series like the Ashes for those two years?

Rather than relegating test nations that already have test status, I think Ireland and teams that don't have test status should be given opportunities to compete at test level on occasion (maybe one series per year). The more they win, the more they should be allowed to compete.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Test cricket is in divisions whether we want it to be or not. 'sif we play as much against NZ or Sri Lanka as much as we play India or Australia.

ThatCricketGuy

Cricket Spectator
I've always thought this was a good idea, but the problem is that if England or Australia (for example) struggle for a period and get relegated, what happens to big series like the Ashes for those two years?

Rather than relegating test nations that already have test status, I think Ireland and teams that don't have test status should be given opportunities to compete at test level on occasion (maybe one series per year). The more they win, the more they should be allowed to compete.
I see what you're saying about cricket losing big series (in your example the Ashes) but I can't see any of the teams who are involved in fierce series getting relegated if this series was brought in. The only teams who would be in danger of being relegated (in the forseeable future anyway) would be Bangladesh and NZ, who aren't really involved in any really interesting series'

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great idea.... if you want to destroy test cricket in NZ, Sri Lanka, West Indies and possibly Pakistan & SA eventually too.

I'm fine with teams being scheduled to play other teams of their level more often than teams that are significantly better or worse, as they currently do, though in reality this is done more on the basis of tradition and crowd-drawing than on actual playing ability. But a hard tier system is a terrible terrible idea.

And as many others have pointed, as soon as England, India or Australia are in danger of falling into the lower tier, the system will be gerryed to re-accommodate them.

Badly flawed idea.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The only tier system I agree with is one that would ensure that teams ranked 1-4 play each other in 4 Test series minimum.

Playing South Africa in a best of 3 series last summer was a nonsense.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Great idea.... if you want to destroy test cricket in NZ, Sri Lanka, West Indies and possibly Pakistan & SA eventually too.

I'm fine with teams being scheduled to play other teams of their level more often than teams that are significantly better or worse, as they currently do, though in reality this is done more on the basis of tradition and crowd-drawing than on actual playing ability. But a hard tier system is a terrible terrible idea.

And as many others have pointed, as soon as England, India or Australia are in danger of falling into the lower tier, the system will be gerryed to re-accommodate them.

Badly flawed idea.
Yeah agree with this. However it is troubling to see a team like South Africa play fewer series than other teams, despite being so strong. For example their next test is in 6 months against Pak in UAE.