• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian cricket selection

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see the point of picking a spinner after this Indian tour unless the conditions really demand it. Our strength lies in the pace department and we really need to exploit that. With a 4 man pace attack there's less pressure on Pattinson to bowl himself to death

Wade is just awful with the gloves and neither commands a batting position on his own. Needs to go back to state cricket to improve, not at test cricket. Haddin needs to come back in the meantime.

Rogers is still scoring runs at a state level so I don't see why he can't fill the number six spot either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But who actually are you disagreeing with? Can't me as I just said Siddle should do well, didn't say conditions are perfect for him or anything.
Have heard/seen lots of people say Bird and/or Siddle are ideally suited to England. They're not. The conditions don't suit them particularly.
Pretty sure it's just been Burgey ftr.
Prince ranting against the opinion of one man much like me with Swann/Lyon. Something he told me off for.

Hypocrite :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also the above is further proof that Burgey repeats his point so often it feels like his opinion is that of the great majority of this forum.

A very cunning strategy.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I know is that teams need three openers in one day cricket because there's two new balls these days.

pup11

International Coach
This has to be a parody. Howard deriding Hughes'average of mid forties this year and still advocating Ferguson!

Holy ****.
I don't get this fascination with averages, guys like Pattinson, Starc and Cummins all have pretty unflattering FC numbers but their international performances have been top notch, whereas its for all to see how well guys like Cowan, Hastings and Quiney have performed at the international level despite coming into team on the back of excellent FC performances.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I don't get this fascination with averages, guys like Pattinson, Starc and Cummins all have pretty unflattering FC numbers but their international performances have been top notch

What?

Their FC performances have been in line with their international performances for all those bowlers...

pup11

International Coach
What?

Their FC performances have been in line with their international performances for all those bowlers...
Starc, Pattinson and Cummins all had FC averages of 30 or above before making their test debuts and their test averages are much lower than that, even Hazelwood has an average of 30 plus in FC cricket.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That cupboard looks pretty bare as far as first class batting performances is concerned. It's very bad that our only 50+ averaging batsmen are on the wrong side of 35, retired or have been picked. I remember the days (and they weren't so long ago) when a player could average over 90 in an ODD season and still not get a run in out national side.

pup11

International Coach
Guessing pup11 has looked at Starc's cricinfo page lately.
Sure mate I have, he has had a few games where he has leaked a lot of runs without taking many wickets hence his average has kept fluctuating, but the fact of the matter is if someone like Starc stays fit and plays international cricket for a decent length of time, then he would take a lot wickets at a pretty good average which is something his initial FC numbers won't necessarily suggest.

Compare this to someone like Hastings who came into the Perth test as the leading wicket taker in FC cricket this season with an average of 22, by the time the test was over he had a test average of 153, it was another reminder to the selectors why its not always a great idea to pick or ignore someone just on the basis of their domestic stats.

the big bambino

International Captain
Maybe with Cummins though I think alot is being read into his one test performance. Starc, as said, is averaging low 30s in fc and tests and if pattinson debuted with a fc ave of over 30 then he must have been bowling grenades to get it down to 23 now.

Midwinter

State Captain
Compare this to someone like Hastings who came into the Perth test as the leading wicket taker in FC cricket this season with an average of 22, by the time the test was over he had a test average of 153, it was another reminder to the selectors why its not always a great idea to pick or ignore someone just on the basis of their domestic stats.
(Cough cough) hughes (Cough Cough):ph34r:

howardj

International Coach
This has to be a parody. Howard deriding Hughes'average of mid forties this year and still advocating Ferguson!

Holy ****.
The former has failed repeatedly at international level, while the latter has excelled

Last edited: