• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best batsman since 2001

best test batsman since 2000/01

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • VVS Laxman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rahul Dravid

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Virender Sehwag

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Steve Waugh

• Damien Martyn

• Brian Lara

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Micheal Vaughan

• Greame Smith

• Herschelle Gibbs

• Inzamam-ul Haq

• Sanath Jayasurya

• Nathan Astle

• Andy Flower

• Habibul Bashar

• Any other (specify)

• Total voters

amits

Banned
best test batsman since 2000/01

who u guys think has been the best batsman in tests since 2001 ?

my debate and vote will come later.

i have included atleast 1 player fom every test team so as to be fair to all.

Last edited:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
hey amit, why arent you telling us your pick, the suspense is killing me, come on tell us, let me guess, your vote goes to.....Hayden?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There have been a number of standout players

For Tests: Brian Lara
For ODIs: Sachin Tendulkar

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rahul Dravid for me. His game has just gone to another level in this time. Brian Lara is also a good one but he only started playing this year after an injury ( ?) . Michael Vaughan too is a serious contendor as are almost all the Aussies.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara :)

Hayden's last 2 series before the India one have been against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Lara's are South Africa (currently) and Sri Lanka.

PY

International Coach
Brian Lara wins. No doubt in my mind, though his situation of having to carry his side in batting department is similar to Sachin Tendulkar.

Obviously Ponting deserves a LOT of praise as well as Hayden but I feel they support each other so well that they make each others jobs easier.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, if you're talking Tests, I'd say there are several who have little between them:
Tendulkar
Lara
Stephen Waugh
(these first three are pretty obvious)
Ponting
Graeme Smith, though he only started in 2002
Kallis
Dravid
Laxman
Andy Flower
If you're talking ODIs, as always, there's only one guy - MG Bevan.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
For me, if you're talking Tests, I'd say there are several who have little between them:
Tendulkar
Lara
Stephen Waugh
(these first three are pretty obvious)
Ponting
Graeme Smith, though he only started in 2002
Kallis
Dravid
Laxman
Andy Flower
If you're talking ODIs, as always, there's only one guy - MG Bevan.
I know you consider most of the Australian players to be over-rated but surely you must agree even Hayden and Ponting deserve credit for excellent returns at test level. For mine Hayden has been the best Test batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No disputing (from me, anyway), that Hayden has played some good knocks with quite a bit of consistency since 2001\02. No disputing his place in the side any more.
But really Kyle, I cannot rate him in the same bracket as Ponting or any of the other names I named. Good, but not best material. For one thing, he has needed more luck than Ponting or Waugh, and for two, he looked all at sea on the rare occasion he faced seam and swing (in England in 2001). Ponting, Waugh, Waugh and Martyn all conquered them emphatically. He has turned, in my estimation, from a substandard Test batsman to a flat-track bully. Until he scores some runs consistently against good seam and swing I will always consider him so.
And as I say, the number of runs he has scored since New Zealand 2001\02 is more than slightly higher than what he has earnt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Lara :)

Hayden's last 2 series before the India one have been against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Lara's are South Africa (currently) and Sri Lanka.
Ponting - v WI, v Ban, v Zim, v Ind
Lara - v Aus, v SL, v Zim, v SA

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PY said:
Obviously Ponting deserves a LOT of praise as well as Hayden but I feel they support each other so well that they make each others jobs easier.
Langer, Martyn, Waugh and Gilchrist help occasionally too.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Top three for me in tests:

1/ Hayden
2/ Lara
3/ Ponting

Nobody else has come close to these three, i feel that a poll is not needed because to rate someone above these guys would be criminal.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
Top three for me in tests:

1/ Hayden
2/ Lara
3/ Ponting

Nobody else has come close to these three, i feel that a poll is not needed because to rate someone above these guys would be criminal.
Or a difference of opinion ;)

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Langer, Martyn, Waugh and Gilchrist help occasionally too.
I guess I meant them as well.

I was only referring to them as they are the top two Aussie batters currently :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
1 - Ponting
2 - Lara
3 - Hayden
4 - Dravid
5 - S Waugh

on the cricket here they have made a big point of tendulkars average for this yeat, less than 20 i beleive, that sureley rules him out

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I voted for Hayden (MARTYN WAS SECOND!!!:( :lol: ).
Mostly because there's something about 3 consecutive years of over 1000 runs that just screams "Pretty Damn Good". ;)