Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Mike Hussey to retire at end of summer.

It's not my go to give people the benefit of the doubt when the arguments they make are so obviously illogical.

You claimed Hussey didn't score runs when the team didn't need them.
    You dismissed those examples people gave you where he did, using the exact pieces of reasoning I described

So, either you agree with it, or your argument falls apart at the seams. Pick one.

Although I'm not sure why I should take this at all seriously when you describe Galle as a "road".
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

I also have it on good authority that Spark is indeed a clever boy, and his mum is most likely already aware of it.

None of Bambino's suggestions hold up to scrutiny.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I also have it on good authority that Spark is indeed a clever boy, and his mum is most likely already aware of it.

None of Bambino's suggestions hold up to scrutiny.
    Don't worry, he'll be gone in a week.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    If you reckon I've said something wrong then address it directly.
    Okie dokie.

Save the 116 at Perth in 2010 Hussey hasn't played a meaningful innings stretching back to his el nino like drought of runs up to the Oval in 09.
    Open to interpretation, but it's probably fairly likely you mean an innings which contributes strongly to a team's chance of winning/saving a match, yes?

In that Gabba innings Aus were about 100/3 when Hussey came in, about 150/5 when he was in the 30's, and about 450/6 when he was dismissed. At that stage Aus had a lead over England of about 190 with ample time left to win the match. So surely you agree then that it was a meaningful knock in the context of the match, taking in mind how Australia bowled and England batted after Hussey's innings can take nothing away from it? I.e. at the time it put Australia from a relatively poor position into one of great strength.

Cricket Spectator
    It's amazing to think that if Langer had come back fit for the 2nd Windies Test in 2005/06, Hussey's Test career may have ended at just one match (or at least severely reduced).

By pure chance Hussey's first few years were almost entirely played at home - only 5 of his first 22 Tests were played away. In contrast Katich seemed to play a clear majority of his Tests overseas. Hard to fully reconcile that he was HTB considering his incredible series in Sri Lanka in 2011

Looking at the top 5 Cricinfo innings for Hussey, very surprised they didn't include his batting v England at Perth in 2010/11 - in a match where virtually all the other batsmen were exposed by the pace and bounce of the pitch he displayed a masterclass in how to bat on it, especially of how to leave the ball and make the bowlers bowl to you. Also surprised none of his efforts in Sri Lanka 11 weren't mentioned.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    (accidentally did previous post under my old unused 'wagstaff' account)

One other point I'd make about Hussey is that despite the excellent stats he had this summer, I think this season hasn't really helped his reputation; indeed if anything it may have done the opposite.

This is because he batted at 6 and it meant he cashed in when others had done the hard work (as occurred in Sydney v India last summer) or the innings was largely set. I guess that's going to happen when following such a dominant batsman in Clarke but him batting so low with such a fragile and inexperienced top 3/4 never seemed quite right to me.

Still, a fantastic career overall.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It's not my go to give people the benefit of the doubt when the arguments they make are so obviously illogical.

You claimed Hussey didn't score runs when the team didn't need them.
    You dismissed those examples people gave you where he did, using the exact pieces of reasoning I described

So, either you agree with it, or your argument falls apart at the seams. Pick one.

Although I'm not sure why I should take this at all seriously when you describe Galle as a "road".
    Its not my go to be swept into the ever decreasing circle of another's pettiness. I am generous in allowing people at least a gram of smarts. However you have me reviewing my policy on charity.

I did not say as you claim. However it should be easy for you to prove. You said I made comment about it being Hussey's fault that Eng scored 1/517. Or that runs scored after being dropped are useless... I presume you can use the quote function? Then find where I said it then quote it.

Or shush up.

The examples of Hussey scoring runs when the team needed it are miniscule when spread over the almost 5 yrs he was carried by the team. Even if you accept a ton against the suss match throwers of Pakistan. Or an ultimately useless hundred against Eng when the side should have been rebuilding since 2009 and Hussey one of the 1st to go. Like I said. It served him more then the team. Hussey's runs at Galle were scored in the 1st innings against SL btw. When conditions were easiest. I think you are referring to Jaya's as being exceptional aren't you?

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    Okie dokie.

Open to interpretation, but it's probably fairly likely you mean an innings which contributes strongly to a team's chance of winning/saving a match, yes?

In that Gabba innings Aus were about 100/3 when Hussey came in, about 150/5 when he was in the 30's, and about 450/6 when he was dismissed. At that stage Aus had a lead over England of about 190 with ample time left to win the match. So surely you agree then that it was a meaningful knock in the context of the match, taking in mind how Australia bowled and England batted after Hussey's innings can take nothing away from it? I.e. at the time it put Australia from a relatively poor position into one of great strength.
    Our team should have been rebuilding since 09. Possibly even before that with Hussey one of the 1st dropped. He got the benefit of being selected when out of form many times. It was inexplicable that he kept getting selected and other's dropped.

So what I'm saying is that he should not have even been there at the Gabba. It probably meant we would have lost. But given we were thumped in the series anyway who cares?

The important thing is that we would have been on the road to rebuilding earlier. Hussey's selection (partly) delayed that. So yes wonderful for him to score those runs. Pity it was at the expense of the larger picture... and ultimately useless in securing victory. Was the occasional meaningful Hussey innings spread over 5 basically unproductive years really worth the delaying in finding a replacement for him?

I am generous in allowing people at least a gram of smarts. However you have me reviewing my policy on charity.
    jesus

Our team should have been rebuilding since 09. Possibly even before that with Hussey one of the 1st dropped. He got the benefit of being selected when out of form many times. It was inexplicable that he kept getting selected and other's dropped.

So what I'm saying is that he should not have even been there at the Gabba. It probably meant we would have lost. But given we were thumped in the series anyway who cares?

The important thing is that we would have been on the road to rebuilding earlier. Hussey's selection (partly) delayed that. So yes wonderful for him to score those runs. Pity it was at the expense of the larger picture... and ultimately useless in securing victory. Was the occasional meaningful Hussey innings spread over 5 basically unproductive years really worth the delaying in finding a replacement for him?
    I'll ask you again since you ignored my question the first time - who would you have had batting for Australia instead of Michael Hussey?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

Again, who should the selectors have been rebuilding with?

EDIT: Damn gingers and their furballs and such.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Again, who should the selectors have been rebuilding with?

EDIT: Damn gingers and their furballs and such.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Of the two, I'd rather be the Rachel.

The only guy who was seriously in line to replace Hussey was Andy McDonald maybe? I know Khawaja took a double off SA but, well, it was against SA so don't think he was seriously in the frame.....

So many things to take the piss out of Spark about and this guy tries to paint him as an idiot of all things? I've seen it all now.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If he doesn't want to play then he shouldn't ****ing play. He doesn't owe anyone anything.
    I feel unclean agreeing with PEWS. I hope I don't have to do that again for another 2 years.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread Information